Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Telefonica TEF


George Dawes
 Share

Recommended Posts

George Dawes

Quick question for those with more knowledge than me.

I picked up some Telefonica shares last October in my sipp but didnt get a cash dividend which was declared in December. I suspect I was paid in shares, as its an ADR? and my holding seems to have increased. However, I didn’t get the choice of cash or shares like I did with my Repsol holding, is this because of the class I’m holding? Also, there is nothing obvious on HL that tells me that my holding increased other than me comparing the number of shares held now with the number bought in October. It’s this one on HL:

Telefonica SA (TEF) ADR Each Repr 1 Ord Eur1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Castlevania

I hold the CDI version and don’t think I had the option of cash or shares. I received one new share for every 18 I held.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yadda yadda yadda

I remember getting asked the question for Repsol but not for Telefonica. Must have been automatic. For some time H&L had an extra line for both.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got asked the question for both iirc on interactive investors. I think the default was shares, if you wanted cash you had to reply within a day or two 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

George Dawes

Cheers for the replies. I thought it would be more on obvious HL, but nothing. I did ask HL as well but they weren’t much use

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got cash, after responding to a investor question.  Note, I sold my TEF as the Spanish gvt brought in a new tax which further hits you if you hold TEF.  In effect, if TEF does the same as US or Australia company in all respects, I get less from TEF due to the Spanish withholding tax.......

not fin advice, etc etc etc etc

  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

longtomsilver
On 13/02/2021 at 09:10, George Dawes said:

Quick question for those with more knowledge than me.

I picked up some Telefonica shares last October in my sipp but didnt get a cash dividend which was declared in December. I suspect I was paid in shares, as its an ADR? and my holding seems to have increased. However, I didn’t get the choice of cash or shares like I did with my Repsol holding, is this because of the class I’m holding? Also, there is nothing obvious on HL that tells me that my holding increased other than me comparing the number of shares held now with the number bought in October. It’s this one on HL:

Telefonica SA (TEF) ADR Each Repr 1 Ord Eur1

That used to be my job - making payments on things like ADRs (american depositary receipts) from the custodian side. Probably a world away from how things happen today but they can sit on the main account for a while depending on how good the clerk is at there job. When I worked at Merrill Lynch I took over the accounts of someone who hadn't reconciled the accounts or made payments in 2-3 years. What she would do is bundle all the money into one lump and move it off her accounts the day before a management meeting so it wouldn't show up on her exception report and move it back the next day. She had accrued $4million in unpaid dividends and I only noticed as I ran an accrual at the end of every day to find she'd lumped it all in one of my other accounts. I took responsibility for them and had a nightmare few months unraveling the mess on microfiche 🤣🤣 she was shit.

Edit: she only paid out if a client asked where their money was 🙄

Edited by longtomsilver
  • Informative 4
  • Lol 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Castlevania
11 hours ago, wherebee said:

I got cash, after responding to a investor question.  Note, I sold my TEF as the Spanish gvt brought in a new tax which further hits you if you hold TEF.  In effect, if TEF does the same as US or Australia company in all respects, I get less from TEF due to the Spanish withholding tax.......

not fin advice, etc etc etc etc

If there’s a double taxation treaty you should only pay the higher of dividend taxation in Australia or Spain. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Castlevania said:

If there’s a double taxation treaty you should only pay the higher of dividend taxation in Australia or Spain. 

true, but that adds a layer of hassle which other shares don't give me.  And if I have the investment in a SMSF in Australia, tax free, I am just losing out...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone care to give me a bit of advice on TEF? What is the difference between these two? Any one a cheerleader for TEF? Why? 
 

I am looking to get more telecommunication exposure. Any other favoured companies in this sector. Obviously I will do my own research etc. 
 

 

D5DAEB2A-AF5D-4129-A955-38848E6DC46C.jpeg

A4726B1F-7DF1-4D44-ACE3-1B6F1CCE96F9.jpeg

Edited by Vendetta
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Castlevania

Not much. Top one is an ADR (American Depository Receipt), bottom is a CDI. Both are essentially the same thing: a certificate representing an underlying share in a foreign listed company. ADR’s are traded in the US. CDI’s in the UK.

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

Not much. Top one is an ADR (American Depository Receipt), bottom is a CDI. Both are essentially the same thing: a certificate representing an underlying share in a foreign listed company. ADR’s are traded in the US. CDI’s in the UK.

@Castlevania

Really appreciate you going to the effort of replying. 

Are there any different tax implications for going with one or the other...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Castlevania
1 hour ago, Vendetta said:

@Castlevania

Really appreciate you going to the effort of replying. 

Are there any different tax implications for going with one or the other...

I’m not aware of any differences.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
DurhamBorn

Id add on here you should take TEF shares in stock and then sell the extra stock if you want the cash from the divi as that avoids Spanish withholding tax.TEF can only do this while they have spare treasury shares though,Repsol are the same and i think their treasury shares are low,so likely it wont work on the next divi or the one after.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trading212 is being gay and forcing a 0.15% forex exchange charge where before it was 0%.

Anyone got any suggestions on a shares - free trade provider with free ISA?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Castlevania
1 hour ago, No One said:

Trading212 is being gay and forcing a 0.15% forex exchange charge where before it was 0%.

Anyone got any suggestions on a shares - free trade provider with free ISA?

 

 

To be honest 0.15% is fair as a Forex charge, provided they don’t then scalp you on the spread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 180 Best "Classic" Bond Film

    You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Latest threads

×
×
  • Create New...