DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Historical Figures in Contemporary Dress

30 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I referred to this in another thread but it is so well done that I deemed it to deserve its own thread.

Graphic designer Becca Saladin takes historical portraits or statues and represents them with contemporary clothes, hairstyles and make up.

I think it's an excellent way of making history more real in a similar way that colourising WWI footage makes it far more real than the old black and white footage which gives it an unreal archaism as does a still black and white picture in a history book.

Here are a few that work very well:

Julius Caesar: take away the fancy armour and he still looks like someone with whom you don't want to mess.

Heres-What-Julius-Caesar-Others-Would-Lo

Marie Antoinette: always looked a bit Thora Hurd-ish with that silly grey wig but take it away and you can see the appeal.  

Agrippina the Younger:  looks awful as a statue but humanise it and wow.

Alexander the Great: hardly looks like a great conqueror; instead he looks like a drama student.

https://www.boredpanda.com/historical-figures-recreated-history-becca-saladin/

https://www.boredpanda.com/historical-figures-recreated-history-part2-becca-saladin/

I suppose it depends on how accurately the original portrait  caught the person. Ancient Roman sculpture seems to have been pretty realistic in the way it showed the subject warts and all. The  sculpture of Alexander looks rather like the depictions of the God Apollo you see in Greek works

87CCA0BE-C639-411E-9245-266BBBF2F5C6.jpeg

Edited by Virgil Caine
9 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

303C5198-2212-4673-9711-2084363DB122.thumb.jpeg.87c4f2214764636722032bd798e11c58.jpeg

Who is this ‘shabby’ looking bloke who you’d cross over the street to avoid? 

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a234/1282186/

An utter misrepresentation.

The populations of southern Europe, the Middle East and North Africa were not as you see them now.  The current appearance of the population is the result of two millenia of sub Saharan African immigration.

That great Greek hero Achilles was a redhead.

The first dictator of Rome, Sulla, was blonde.

That image is on a par with this nonsensical attempt to rewrite prehistory by portraying the first Swedes as this:

5c6bb6f5dda4c8dc628b4634.jpg

https://www.rt.com/news/451766-swedes-outraged-ancestors-documentary/

Edited by Frank Hovis
8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

An utter misrepresentation.

The populations of southern Europe, the Middle East and North Africa were not as you see them now.  The current appearance of the population is the result of two millenia of sub Saharan African immigration.

That great Greek hero Achilles was a redhead.

The first dictator of Rome, Sulla, was blonde.

That image is on a par with this nonsensical attempt to rewrite prehistory by portraying the first Swedes as this:

5c6bb6f5dda4c8dc628b4634.jpg

https://www.rt.com/news/451766-swedes-outraged-ancestors-documentary/

So what you’re saying @Frank Hovis is......

Probably one of the greatest ever scenes in cinema history ..... if not the best. The really sad thing is this scene could never be produced today or in the future.....

If you haven’t scene it watch the film ‘True Romance’. 

Right I am off the the ‘Good films wot I have watched thread....’

(My whole life and thought processes have gradually become a collection of movie scenes.....). 

11 minutes ago, MrPin said:

The heads depicted of Julius Caesar, are very consistent, and everyone knows what he looked like. Fairly normal really. Where did the Romans go? It's us!

The Romans, as in the Italians, were here in only tiny numbers during the Empire: governors, generals and staff.

They wanted our taxes and not our land which because the climate was far too cold and wet for them.  Famously Britain was the first place where the legions were allowed to wear socks.

This is a tradition that we maintain to this day.  I have a pair on now.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The Romans, as in the Italians, were here in only tiny numbers during the Empire: governors, generals and staff.

They wanted our taxes and not our land which because the climate was far too cold and wet for them.  Famously Britain was the first place where the legions were allowed to wear socks.

This is a tradition that we maintain to this day.  I have a pair on now.

It's your Christmas socks.

The Italians of today, are not the Romans of yesterday. Grapes were grown here back then, so I guess it was a little warmer. I think my nearest Roman town is Lactodorum.

26 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's your Christmas socks.

The Italians of today, are not the Romans of yesterday. Grapes were grown here back then, so I guess it was a little warmer. I think my nearest Roman town is Lactodorum.

Grapes are grown here now for wine; even as far north as Yorkshire.

If you are unsure where Yorkshire is it is the bit of land that Lancashire uses to keep the wind off.

Video cued to the correct point:

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I referred to this in another thread but it is so well done that I deemed it to deserve its own thread.

Graphic designer Becca Saladin takes historical portraits or statues and represents them with contemporary clothes, hairstyles and make up.

I think it's an excellent way of making history more real in a similar way that colourising WWI footage makes it far more real than the old black and white footage which gives it an unreal archaism as does a still black and white picture in a history book.

Julius Caesar: take away the fancy armour and he still looks like someone with whom you don't want to mess.

@stokiescum would take him and his bitches

Slightly off topic but I noticed that were British auxiliary units who seem to have participated in Trajan campaign against the Dacians in 101-102 CE and 105-106 CE. It is even possible that it is they who are holding up the severed heads of enemy soldiers in the famous image below. Certainly the rounder shield and mail armour are more common with auxiliary troops than legionaries. Taking trophy heads was mentioned by classical authors among Gallic and British tribes so the habit was probably still common with those in the Roman army during the early second century  and there were units from both areas in Dacia fighting for Trajan. 

168555FF-53BE-4D13-AA95-BF5A0C1BD934.jpeg

Edited by Virgil Caine
3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Marie Antoinette: always looked a bit Thora Hurd-ish with that silly grey wig but take it away and you can see the appeal.  

Agrippina the Younger:  looks awful as a statue but humanise it and wow.

Alexander the Great: hardly looks like a great conqueror; instead he looks like a drama student.

https://www.boredpanda.com/historical-figures-recreated-history-becca-saladin/

https://www.boredpanda.com/historical-figures-recreated-history-part2-becca-saladin/

Sitters and their vanity noses.

Loads of painted noses jobs.

8 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Slightly off topic but I noticed that were British auxiliary units who seem to have participated in Trajan campaign against the Dacians in 101-102 CE and 105-106 CE. It is even possible that is they who are holding up the severed heads of enemy soldiers in the famous image below. Certainly the rounder shield and mail armour are more common with auxiliary troops than legionaries. Taking trophy heads was mentioned by classical authors among Gallic and British tribes so the habit was probably still common with those in the Roman army during the early second century  and there were units from both areas in Dacia fighting for Trajan. 

168555FF-53BE-4D13-AA95-BF5A0C1BD934.jpeg

Here is a "Celtic" era French monument; the niches were presumed to have been for skulls so this is how it is presented.

skullwish1.jpg

https://www.ancientpages.com/2019/03/21/ancient-cult-of-human-skulls-and-communication-with-other-world/

2 hours ago, ashestoashes said:

the Romans went to Romania, there are plenty original Romans walking about the UK

Not really. Map the DNA of people living in Europe whose grandparents were born in Europe by its principal components and you get a graphic that looks remarkably like... Europe.

main-qimg-6a7bd39a13457e0033f80f1e36f7a7

You can see the peninsulas of Iberia, Italy, the Balkans - even Britain and Ireland - in the graphic even though the analysis is completely blind as to geography, it's just DNA.

This diversity only exists  because people in Europe descend from people who lived more or less where they live thousands of years ago.

Edited by Panther
2 minutes ago, Panther said:

Not really. Map the DNA of people living in Europe whose grandparents were born in Europe by its principal components and you get a graphic that looks remarkably like... Europe.

main-qimg-6a7bd39a13457e0033f80f1e36f7a7

You can see the peninsulas of Iberia, Italy, the Balkans, even Britain and Ireland in the graphic even though the analysis is completely blind as to geography, it's just DNA.

What's the Sk doing at the end of Italy?