DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How much would it cost to build this?

In the photo below you can see a semi-detached house on the left, with a large L shaped garage extension in the back garden. Looks to have been done to a decent standard, pitched roof ect:

image.png.d76b71b47fa4bd67c2b46743629b9c34.png

For a closer look inside the structure, there's photos in the house listing; you can see it's got a bathroom in it as well, it's almost like a stand alone studio apartment/bungalow:

https://www.propertypal.com/14-lennox-avenue-belfast/676298

My question is; can anyone give me a back of a fag packet estimate out of interest what it would cost nowadays to build something like that?

4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yep my mate who is a DIY buff came up with £50K as a knee jerk price - personally I could see a builder trying to charge me more than that (maybe inflating the price as the project progresses) especially since I don't know owt about the trade.

Get your mate to help self manage it, maybe if he is good. No reason why you could not pay him well father help. 

A decent BCO helps as well, we went private BCO and has been very useful to have behind the scenes.

split it into groundworks, walls and roof and get bids for each part and then manage the internals yourself, unless you trust the builder

you could get a log cabin for much less if it's just a workspace you want also any improvement will be reflected in your council tax at some stage

Edited by ashestoashes

I know of a neighbor who had a 4 room separate granny bungalow built in a back garden in about 2006 which cost about £12,000 in total. However I'd be very surprised if you could still get any extension on that scale for such a price, I'd guess It would be about £20,000 today at least.

Of course the tinkers offer a very competitive 'pay nothing now, £350,000 later or we burn down the house payment plan'.

£60K including the Windows as the photographs, this photo is of intererest, the construction is listed as  a 'large games room' and appears to be a 'stealth construction that has morphed from a garage and has been kept low key.

Be interesting to find out if it has the appropriate planning as the estate agent isn't bulling it up.

Never the less, a lot of well finished space for the money, be surpprised if they get back what they have spent.

image.thumb.png.1ae566078c8055c667e7bf1e602937f8.png

14 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

split it into groundworks, walls and roof and get bids for each part and then manage the internals yourself, unless you trust the builder

you could get a log cabin for much less if it's just a workspace you want also any improvement will be reflected in your council tax at some stage

Shipping containers have also become popular..

34 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

A very good quality log lap building costs around 1/2 to 1/3 of price, the saving is in the labour mainly, as long as there is  base of sorts ready one about the size of a single garage will be up and complete within a couple of days.

31 minutes ago, onlyme said:

A very good quality log lap building costs around 1/2 to 1/3 of price, the saving is in the labour mainly, as long as there is  base of sorts ready one about the size of a single garage will be up and complete within a couple of days.

these seem ok, Tuin, good reputation

https://www.buitenkampioen.nl/product/blokhut-clockhouse/

3849 E

40x0809xP01.jpg

9 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

these seem ok, Tuin, good reputation

https://www.buitenkampioen.nl/product/blokhut-clockhouse/

That seems well priced for 45mm. Critical is the roof and quality of EDPM membrane/shingle/whatever, that breaks down and the rest will not last. Large overhang and good quality roof and rest of building should last a decent amount of time.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Be interesting to find out if it has the appropriate planning as the estate agent isn't bulling it up.

That's a very good point.

The house is listed in the council records as being 109 square meters, which is obviously the main house and not the outbuilding. I think there's a chance if they did list the outbuilding the council tax (they're known as 'rates' in NI) would rise.

https://lpsni.gov.uk/vListDCV/propertydetails.asp?type=search&display=110897&di=07&dn=Lisburn+and+Castlereagh+City+Council&wi=0000001216&wn=Galwally&si=0000013811&sn=Lennox+Avenue

EDIT: Although I notice it says outbuildings (plural) whereas next door (and the rest of the houses on the street) are outbuilding singluar, suggesting the council knows about it?

https://lpsni.gov.uk/vListDCV/propertydetails.asp?di=07&dn=Lisburn+and+Castlereagh+City+Council&wi=0000001216&wn=Galwally&si=0000013811&sn=Lennox+Avenue&display=110898&rn=16

Edited by JoeDavola
1 hour ago, LC1 said:

Very in keeping with the COVID zeitgeist: they've turned their garden into their very own prison yard O.o

Yes I'm in two minds whether the back yard is low maintenance and functional, or comes across a bit sterile and lacking warmth.

Compare to the back garden of another, cheaper slightly smaller house on sale:

EDIT: That's a shed, not the actual house in that photo ;)

image.thumb.png.f234c2d25e6c5c8f5a05380f5249c81e.png

Edited by JoeDavola
6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yes I'm in two minds whether the back yard is low maintenance and functional, or comes across a bit sterile and lacking warmth.

Yes, it's all those. I'm just a traditionalist and prefer a garden to have plants and living creatures and sunshine! :)

That other one is a bit of a mess, but easily made good. 

6 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Yes, it's all those. I'm just a traditionalist and prefer a garden to have plants and living creatures and sunshine! :)

That other one is a bit of a mess, but easily made good. 

Yes. The other one also has a conservatory overlooking the garden, and it might be nicer to overlook a mixture of plants and colours rather than paving stones and grey walls.

image.thumb.png.ed42c8d2203660ecdde1da3b15738ee7.png

image.thumb.png.b29dfb7737b6b98f9bc4fb48068468e6.png

Edited by JoeDavola
31 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Compare to the back garden of another, cheaper slightly smaller house on sale:

EDIT: That's a shed, not the actual house in that photo ;)

image.thumb.png.f234c2d25e6c5c8f5a05380f5249c81e.png

If you felt it was a bit too sterile and lacking warmth just add a bunch of plant pots/hanging baskets/raised beds.

I quite liked it, aside from some of the paint and decor choices inside. 

Edited by Carl Fimble
Sp

A quick look online and I found it has been used by a massage woman, not the sort with happy endings though :

https://www.beautynailhairsalons.com/GB/Belfast/662099437243066/MUST-Massage#address

On there there's this post from early 2015 which suggests the outbuilding was constructed some time in/after March 2015 :

"[05/13/15] In the future there will be a new development up ahead. A new therapy room with lots of space. TBC. Excited much!!"