DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Stoichism

JFK

Anyone interested in this, read about it, practise(d) it?

Was listening to some content creators (what used to be called youtuber's .... ) discussing this as a frame of mind to hold.  I think I've had this frame of mind/outlook for pretty much all of my life but it's interesting to discuss this.

The go-to reference seems to be Emperor Marcus Aurelius, started listening to this ...

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1
Alex

No 'h' required. Stoicism.

It's been my philosophy (more accurately one of them, alongside responsible hedonism) for years. Some people interpret it as, "Meh, accept whatever happens."

I interpret it as, "Do the best you can, then accept whatever the result may be."

• Agree 6
  • Cheers 1
JFK
1 hour ago, Alex said:

No 'h' required. Stoicism.

It's been my philosophy (more accurately one of them, alongside responsible hedonism) for years. Some people interpret it as, "Meh, accept whatever happens."

I interpret it as, "Do the best you can, then accept whatever the result may be."

Sounds about right, think it will be quite common on this forum.

... can't edit title, you are of course correct, no 'h'

nirvana

that's me! I'm a stoic or I try to be when I'm not being a cunt xD

I read his musings a few years ago.....I like his outlook

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury.

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.

The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.

Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.

Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.

It never ceases to amaze me: we all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinions than our own.

It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

:Jumping:
Edited by nirvana
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 2
  • 2 weeks later...
TheBlueCat

Been a stoic since I discovered the Meditations in the university library in 1985. It aligns nicely with my Yorkshireness.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1
  • 1 month later...
Dogtania

I think it's one of the best philosophies of strategies for thinking to navigate the world and keep the mental wolves from the door so to speak.

Have read a bit of meditations and Seneca in the past but just the simple premise is very powerful... Rolling with the punches, accepting live is suffering etc and misfortunes can happen to anyone...but importantly no point beating yourself up about it.

Not sure if it was Seneca, Marcus or another but being pretty wealthy (which most of them were) they would regularly take sabbaticals from their life is luxury to sleep on dirt etc to be keep things in context.

Definitely need to remind myself about so glad I came across this thread.  One of those things i have used to benefit in the past but easy to fall back into old habits.

No magic bullet etc but good wise outlook and way of seeing things.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/04/2021 at 15:54, Dogtania said:

I think it's one of the best philosophies of strategies for thinking to navigate the world and keep the mental wolves from the door so to speak.

Have read a bit of meditations and Seneca in the past but just the simple premise is very powerful... Rolling with the punches, accepting live is suffering etc and misfortunes can happen to anyone...but importantly no point beating yourself up about it.

Not sure if it was Seneca, Marcus or another but being pretty wealthy (which most of them were) they would regularly take sabbaticals from their life is luxury to sleep on dirt etc to be keep things in context.

Definitely need to remind myself about so glad I came across this thread.  One of those things i have used to benefit in the past but easy to fall back into old habits.

No magic bullet etc but good wise outlook and way of seeing things.

The Tao Te Ching is also quite an interesting read

• Agree 1
Dogtania
14 hours ago, JFK said:

The Tao Te Ching is also quite an interesting read

Thanks for the reminder.  I think I've still got a copy boxed away.  Haven't really ever delved into only glanced at years ago.  I remember years back my brother wrote each line out in a book then gave his paperback copy to an ex... Good way for some to take it on board and always meant to give it some focus, reading anyway.

• Agree 1