DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Why is my Broadband so slow?

Second gripe of the day. I'm moving down to the Thames Valley - you know where all the houses are ridiculously expensive because there are so many rich people there and they all work in London. 

So why is the broadband so fucking slow? I have been quoted 47mps but they will only guarantee 23mps. I said I didn't mind paying more for 80, 100, 200 whatever. This particular property i can only have a guarantee of 23mps.

In 2021. In the fucking Thames Valley. If I was moving to Orkney or bumblefuck Wales I could understand the shit broadband. After all, why invest heavily in areas where no-one lives. This is the fucking Thames Valley. It's packed with people, most of them with plenty of money to spunk on decent internet.

Can some techy wonk explain why this is? This country really is a shithole. Is it because the available internet juice is used by a greater number of people? is that how it works? Or have they just somehow forgotten to upgrade the internet from 2010 levels in the fucking Thames Valley where all the fucking rich people live?

Someone explain to me why I'm basically forced into using shithouse internet whilst residing in one of the most expensive towns in the fucking country. No fucking excuse as far as I can see.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because Openreach own the network, and have a monopoly on it. If it was an open market with free trade and rivals allowed to implement their own network then prices would drop and speeds would increas

I imagine your internet is delivered on CDs via the postal service.

What are you guys doing... Watching 8K VR pawn?

Posted Images

Because Openreach own the network, and have a monopoly on it. If it was an open market with free trade and rivals allowed to implement their own network then prices would drop and speeds would increase, apparently.

It could be worse though - across Russia there is only one energy supplier permitted - Gazprom. No alternatives are permitted, I have been told.At least in this country we delude ourselves that there is an open energy market.

33 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

Second gripe of the day. I'm moving down to the Thames Valley - you know where all the houses are ridiculously expensive because there are so many rich people there and they all work in London. 

So why is the broadband so fucking slow? I have been quoted 47mps but they will only guarantee 23mps. I said I didn't mind paying more for 80, 100, 200 whatever. This particular property i can only have a guarantee of 23mps.

In 2021. In the fucking Thames Valley. If I was moving to Orkney or bumblefuck Wales I could understand the shit broadband. After all, why invest heavily in areas where no-one lives. This is the fucking Thames Valley. It's packed with people, most of them with plenty of money to spunk on decent internet.

Can some techy wonk explain why this is? This country really is a shithole. Is it because the available internet juice is used by a greater number of people? is that how it works? Or have they just somehow forgotten to upgrade the internet from 2010 levels in the fucking Thames Valley where all the fucking rich people live?

Someone explain to me why I'm basically forced into using shithouse internet whilst residing in one of the most expensive towns in the fucking country. No fucking excuse as far as I can see.

That’s presumably for ADSL. Is there a cable option? 

4 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

That’s presumably for ADSL. Is there a cable option? 

No. i did ask if i could pay to have the fibre connected to the house. I can't.

It all has to do with a cheapskate government decision in 2005 to ensure everyone had shit broadband instead of allowing a free market with varying speeds and varying prices. Hence the providers were discouraged from offering faster speeds because the British in general were too tight to pay for any of it. Or something. Big fail anyway.

Virgin stuff looks great. As I would expect from an internet provider in 2021. 100, 200, 300, 650, 1000 all on offer at nicely graduated prices. Only problem is they don't cover this post code.

I am now wondering if I can't get this done privately? Pay a firm to install a cable for my address then call up the provider and ask them if they can send the internet down it.

Fucking clown world as far as I am concerned. It's 2021.

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'm no expert but I think how close you are to the cabinet has a bearing on speeds.  This might help if and when it's available :-

https://www.bt.com/broadband/full-fibre/

Full fibre isn't available in your area yet.

Fucking clown world. As I say, Thames Valley etc etc etc.

There is a service called Swish that serves the Home Counties. I will reach out to them. Unlikely I can use them in a bundling service. Fucking ballache for a basic amenity.

Edited by deathfunk
2 minutes ago, Byron said:
10 ms

Download speed
34.6 Mbps

Upload speed
6.5 Mbps
Is this good or bad?

Good or bad for what? E.g. how many people in the house, doing what kind of stuff etc? If it's just you, watching netflix and doing the occasional Zoom call, then it'll be fine. For a family of 4, all trying to use zoom at once, playing online games, watching several films at the same time etc it'll be shit.

34 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

There is a service called Swish that serves the Home Counties. I will reach out to them. Unlikely I can use them in a bundling service. Fucking ballache for a basic amenity.

Might be worth signing up for the Startlink beta if they have coverage in your area: https://www.starlink.com/

• It is because all the kids in the area are playing coop XBox games this week.
  • And all the adults are having zoom meetings.
  • And all the pensioners are watching Songs of Praise/Homes-under-the-Hammer/that nice mr Attenborough in HD.

It'll improve once all the kids have gone back to school, the adults have to go to the office and the pensioners can spend their afternoons at the garden centre cafe.

54 minutes ago, spunko said:

Because Openreach own the network, and have a monopoly on it. If it was an open market with free trade and rivals allowed to implement their own network then prices would drop and speeds would increase, apparently.

It could be worse though - across Russia there is only one energy supplier permitted - Gazprom. No alternatives are permitted, I have been told.At least in this country we delude ourselves that there is an open energy market.

Yep. We can't have fibre, so had to go for OpenReach.

Should have been OK, but there are apparently only 12 high speed connections in the cabinet. We are the thirteenth to want it, so just get normal (slow) ADSL until one of the elderly neighbours kicks the bucket and we can nab their connection.

5 minutes ago, dgul said:
  • And all the pensioners are watching Songs of Praise/Homes-under-the-Hammer/that nice mr Attenborough in HD.

It'll improve once all the kids have gone back to school, the adults have to go to the office and the pensioners can spend their afternoons at the garden centre cafe.

Pretty much. Mine has been dire recently, but is is 4G (sometimes).

This is my* office connection, private and costs ~£200 a month. Screenshot_2021-02-15 Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

It's pretty shit in the grand scheme of things, but much faster than maybe 80% of other connections in the UK currently.

Superfast internet, which I have been told will be ready by end of year if Openreach bother to install it, will be 10x as fast as this. If you are friendly with your neighbours @deathfunk there is/was a voucher scheme. Basically get X number of people to agree to sign up to superfast internet and they will install it, eventually. It really isn't as many as you think - IIRC my neighbours and I total 14 households.

*it isn't actually for my office, but the vacant one below. They're terrified of the plague virus so haven't been in since April 2020 but left their unsecure network open.

Edited by spunko
43 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

No. i did ask if i could pay to have the fibre connected to the house. I can't.

It all has to do with a cheapskate government decision in 2005 to ensure everyone had shit broadband instead of allowing a free market with varying speeds and varying prices. Hence the providers were discouraged from offering faster speeds because the British in general were too tight to pay for any of it. Or something. Big fail anyway.

Virgin stuff looks great. As I would expect from an internet provider in 2021. 100, 200, 300, 650, 1000 all on offer at nicely graduated prices. Only problem is they don't cover this post code.

I am now wondering if I can't get this done privately? Pay a firm to install a cable for my address then call up the provider and ask them if they can send the internet down it.

Fucking clown world as far as I am concerned. It's 2021.

Not quite such a free market as you may think. We have 100Mbps bonus paid for by the governement. This boosts us to 300MBps on one input and the other is still 200Mbps. We are only paying for one 200 Mbps.

After years of BT this package with Truespeed is a breath of fresh air. They are great to deal with and the service is incredible. As such we have invested internally to ensure the signal is everywhere, including internal phones. We successfully run 8 channel CCTV over it and there is still plenty for my daughters to watch youtube at the same time as I am streaming football.

My case with the ombudsman against BT continues and deadline for case is repeatedly  pushed back. They still owe me money but we disagree how much.

50 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

If your area is as salubrious as it sounds then there will be many small players happy to connect you to their network for a fee. I believe the office below pays £200 a month and about 2 grand install fee for some dedicated BT to the premises bollocks. They had to put in new wires everywhere.

It's out of the budget of most people so that is why it's better to use the free voucher scheme from them.

Four years ago when I lived in Wokingham I had 1.5Mbps down 0.3 up. This was in just about the richest bit of a town built for rich people to be rich in. Believe it's been upgraded since then to the usual sort of (still fairly shit) 35 down, 6 up.  

I can understand the thinking though for whoever makes these sort of infrastructure decisions; what would be the point of making it faster? For most bill-payers it would just mean basically same old, same old, shit except doing their shitty conference calls in 4k instead of blurry webcam. Still out of focus and with bad lighting. 

I guess with a lifetime in IT I count as a power user but even I would struggle to max out my existing connection. Single bloke here though and I accept family of 4 might find some use for it especially kids' 3D VR zboxes and suchlike. 

15 minutes ago, dgul said:

Got3 iPads 2 phones and sky on .

A79B01D2-AED6-4DEB-B933-02C2BCAE4408.jpeg

1 hour ago, deathfunk said:

Because it’s a bad investment vs a street like mine ie terrace.the cost of digging past 140 houses front doors all in a row will be cheap you will probably all have large front gardens to individualy dig down has well

12 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Four years ago when I lived in Wokingham I had 1.5Mbps down 0.3 up. This was in just about the richest bit of a town built for rich people to be rich in. Believe it's been upgraded since then to the usual sort of (still fairly shit) 35 down, 6 up.  

I can understand the thinking though for whoever makes these sort of infrastructure decisions; what would be the point of making it faster? For most bill-payers it would just mean basically same old, same old, shit except doing their shitty conference calls in 4k instead of blurry webcam. Still out of focus and with bad lighting. 

I guess with a lifetime in IT I count as a power user but even I would struggle to max out my existing connection. Single bloke here though and I accept family of 4 might find some use for it especially kids' 3D VR zboxes and suchlike. 

There is no "joined up thinking" as they call it, which is what grates. It has been obvious that the infrastructure cannot handle future needs, so they've just ploughed ahead with 5G, which will have the same drawbacks as the rest i.e. it'll never serve those out in the sticks. But ultimately as long as they can it serves ~80% of the population ie those in suburbia then it's job done.

Not that I'm complaining too loudly, with the advent of faster internet comes a load of other problems indirectly, like Deliveroo and urban sprawl. Probably a chicken or egg situation actually.

18 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

why would anyone in this day and age not check the internet speed before moving somewhere ?

Yes it’s like buying a house next to a river and acting surprised if it floods.but fear not slow internetty people will act like those in waterlogged houses and demand the wider population pay so they can get house insurance.just jokeing xx

22 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

why would anyone in this day and age not check the internet speed before moving somewhere ?

Bit of a rushed job to move near family. Extremely expensive area so not much choice in that department unless my bitcoin/drone tech/AR/EV stocks rips higher.

I am close to having my pick but not quite there yet and my capital largely remains in the market. My niece and nephew are growing up and I'm missing it.

Honestly I'm shocked that the provision for such a basic amenity is so poor. I don't have to check the area for electricity supply or water. Why the hell should I for broadband? It's not 1997 FFS. They've had 20+ years FFS.

23 minutes ago, spunko said:

If your area is as salubrious as it sounds then there will be many small players happy to connect you to their network for a fee. I believe the office below pays £200 a month and about 2 grand install fee for some dedicated BT to the premises bollocks. They had to put in new wires everywhere.

It's out of the budget of most people so that is why it's better to use the free voucher scheme from them.

Yeah - Swish they are called. It will just fuck with my convenient bundled provider.

29 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

Some friends live in an area which Virgin are cabling up with fibre. Because of some issue with access on the main private road the fibre only goes most of the way up the road. The few houses at the end could have had it as well if each house had signed some simple agreement allowing wayleave rights or something. Guess what, a small number of rich but stupid boomery type houseowners refused to sign because "we've no use for it." Has provoked a huge row as the smarter ones realise that lacking fibre will definitely affect their house prices and saleability.