DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Pancake Day tomorrow

In Ashbourne they play a sort of rugby hundreds a side only 1 rule no murder .they have to board shop windows up the players will probably spend half the day in the river and the goals are two miles apart they were originally the spindles of water mills still functioning ones it’s only ever been cancled before because of foot and mouth even then I think they played on just one field 

Throughout the centuries it’s become tradition for people to eat pancakes to mark the beginning of Lent so as to use up ingredients that they wouldn’t be allowed to eat during the 40-day period, which is how Pancake Day obtained its name.

Are you giving up bullshit for Lent @One percent?

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Throughout the centuries it’s become tradition for people to eat pancakes to mark the beginning of Lent so as to use up ingredients that they wouldn’t be allowed to eat during the 40-day period, which is how Pancake Day obtained its name.

Nope, doubling down on it.  

16 minutes ago, One percent said:

Why do we celebrate this day?  Why with pancakes?  In Scarborough, they have a race with pancakes. 

image.thumb.png.cc970bc8b5e4be6239031073c7e73aac.png

Olney, Bucks invented the Pancake race in 1445. War of the Roses and the Plague didn't stop it but I'm guessing Covid will.

http://olneypancakerace.org/pancake-race-history/

9 minutes ago, MrPin said:

All very confusing. Not a religious expert but I thought it was all about giving up meat for 40 days, hence how Lent-ils got their name as alternative protein source.

As a Vegestralian I never eat meat, and I do eat loads of lentils all year round because I like them. So by accident I will for once be fully 100% compliant with the bible nshit, perhaps even more so than proper religioustards as I won't be tempted to cheat. Is God going to smite me for taking the piss?

Just now, Funn3r said:

All very confusing. Not a religious expert but I thought it was all about giving up meat for 40 days, hence how Lent-ils got their name as alternative protein source.

As a Vegestralian I never eat meat, and I do eat loads of lentils all year round because I like them. So by accident I will for once be fully 100% compliant with the bible nshit, perhaps even more so than proper religioustards as I won't be tempted to cheat. Is God going to smite me for taking the piss?

Your arse will explode with delight, with all those lentils.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Your arse will explode with delight, with all those lentils.

Lentil Roasts and Nut Roasts are the very zenith of the "beard and sandals" vegestralian archetype. When I make such roasts for the occasional "roast dinner" people are always astounded at how tasty it looks and it sometimes ends in strained words over "that actually looks quite nice can I have a bit with my turkey" vs. "no fuck off it's ours you carnivorical canute."

Just now, Funn3r said:

Lentil Roasts and Nut Roasts are the very zenith of the "beard and sandals" vegestralian archetype. When I make such roasts for the occasional "roast dinner" people are always astounded at how tasty it looks and it sometimes ends in strained words over "that actually looks quite nice can I have a bit with my turkey" vs. "no fuck off it's ours you carnivorical canute."

I'm sure you can cook good @Funn3r

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I’d say He is already punishing you if you haven’t had any meat for years.

Funny old world, I do run into people who think how noble I am because suffering so much for my humane beliefs (they think.) How is he not crawling up the walls for lacking his tripe and onions, bless. I hope they don't turn me into a Captain Tom one of these days.

My last "meat" was 1973 or 1974 I think. As a person my "willpower" in terms of not eating/drinking/having things I enjoy is below zero yet never missed it for second. 

26 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

All you have to do is covet your neighbour's wife for the next few weeks and it'll cancel out any goodness that you're doing by not eating meat.

Exodus 16:36

An omer is the tenth part of an ephah.
 Frequent mention being made of this measure in the above relation, as containing the quantity of each man's share of the manna daily, during the forty years' stay in the wilderness; an account is given by the historian how much it contained, by which it may appear what a sufficient provision was made: an ephah, according to Jarchi, contained three seahs (or pecks); a scab, six kabs; a kab, four logs; a log, six egg shells; and the tenth part of an ephah was forty three egg shells, and the fifth part of one: but Dr. Cumberland has reduced this to our measure, and has given it more clearly and distinctly; an ephah, according to him, contained, in wine measure, seven gallons, two quarts, and about half a pint; in corn measure, six gallons, three pints, and three solid inches; and an omer three quarts; which being made into bread, must be more than any ordinary man could well eat; for, as Ainsworth observes, an omer was twice as much as the choenix, (a measure mentioned in Revelation 6:6  .) which was wont to be a man's allowance of bread corn for a day; and what a vast quantity must fall every day to supply so large a number of people with such a measure; some have reckoned it at 94,466 bushels every day, and that there must be consumed in forty years 1,379,203,600 bushels

Serves 10. For a bit of spice, add tabasco.

These days Catholics only have to fast and abstain from meat* on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday

(* not a tautology because you are allowed a small morning and evening snack during your 'fast')

I like a dash of amaretto in my pancakes.

Edited by Panther
2 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Stuffing.