DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I thought that's what cats were for? (well, in Queensland, at least)

I was told by a Queensland farming family that they specifically kept :-

Jack Russells and other stroppy-type small dogs to go for the snakes (they reckoned on losing one per year)

Some other dog for another purpose which I've forgotten.

Huntsman spiders  in the house to kill all the other bugs.

So why is this a mawkish tragedy? It's a bloody cat FFS, this is Australia, and it probably went for the snake because it was moving.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/family-cat-dies-trying-protect-102808677.html

Family cat dies trying to protect young children from Australia’s most dangerous snake

Shweta Sharma
Mon, 15 February 2021, 11:28 am

<p>Arthur, the shorthair pet cat, was not able to survive the snake bike and died the next day </p> (Screengrab/ Animal Emergency Service)

Arthur, the shorthair pet cat, was not able to survive the snake bike and died the next day

(Screengrab/ Animal Emergency Service)

A pet cat in Australia’s Queensland has been dubbed as a “four-legged hero” after it died fighting a venomous snake to protect young children.

The mischievous shorthair cat named Arthur was following the two children and playing in the backyard when the highly venomous eastern brown snake slithered right up to the children.

According to a Facebook post by Animal Emergency Service, the brave cat immediately jumped into action and killed the snake to protect the children from danger.

The venom of the snake that bit Arthur is ranked the second most toxic in the world. The snake is known for its agility, aggressiveness and bad temper, according to Australian Geographic. Its bite can cause progressive paralysis and stops the blood from clotting which leads to the collapse of the victim within moments of the bite.

“Unfortunately, in the process, Arthur received a fatal envenomation snake bite,” it said.

Arthur collapsed but quickly regained consciousness. The family remained unaware of the snakebite amid all the chaos of getting the children out of the yard.

It was the next morning when Arthur collapsed again the family got to know about the fatal injury to the cat.

The family rushed the cat to the vet, however, its condition was too serious to be recovered.

“His family, understandably devastated, remember him fondly and are forever grateful he saved the children’s lives. Arthur was always getting into mischief; he had previously visited us been in accidents and was very much loved by our team,” emergency vet care service said.

The brave act by cat was hailed by social media users as heroic and led to an outpour of grief.

“I’m soooooo saddened for the family and this Precious cat. Sending prayers for your broken hearts. You’ll see him again,” said a Facebook user.

“Oh Arthur... what a brave little man! My heart breaks for you and your family,” said another.

3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I am begging to think that @swiss_democracy_for_allmay have had some traumatic cat related incident as a child! 

:D Nope, interestingly enough the little bastards like me and seem to be drawn to me, more than one cat-owning female has been deeply impressed by this in the past, I suppose my dislike of their cat was hidden to them and not to the contrary little furry bastard which must therefore try and ingratiate itself with me. My old mate said (to wind me up, I hope/think!) they recognise a kindred spirit. 

7 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Cats are cunts, but they're alright cunts :

54 second long video of a cat saving a wee boy from a dog.

RIP Arthur.

Yeah I've seen that before, fair play to the cat in that case, but I reckon it's an unusual one, better to count on a dog for protection 99 times out of 100.

38 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I was told by a Queensland farming family that they specifically kept :-

Jack Russells and other stroppy-type small dogs to go for the snakes (they reckoned on losing one per year)

Some other dog for another purpose which I've forgotten.

Huntsman spiders  in the house to kill all the other bugs.

So why is this a mawkish tragedy? It's a bloody cat FFS, this is Australia, and it probably went for the snake because it was moving.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/family-cat-dies-trying-protect-102808677.html

Family cat dies trying to protect young children from Australia’s most dangerous snake

Shweta Sharma
Mon, 15 February 2021, 11:28 am

<p>Arthur, the shorthair pet cat, was not able to survive the snake bike and died the next day </p> (Screengrab/ Animal Emergency Service)

Arthur, the shorthair pet cat, was not able to survive the snake bike and died the next day

(Screengrab/ Animal Emergency Service)

A pet cat in Australia’s Queensland has been dubbed as a “four-legged hero” after it died fighting a venomous snake to protect young children.

The mischievous shorthair cat named Arthur was following the two children and playing in the backyard when the highly venomous eastern brown snake slithered right up to the children.

According to a Facebook post by Animal Emergency Service, the brave cat immediately jumped into action and killed the snake to protect the children from danger.

The venom of the snake that bit Arthur is ranked the second most toxic in the world. The snake is known for its agility, aggressiveness and bad temper, according to Australian Geographic. Its bite can cause progressive paralysis and stops the blood from clotting which leads to the collapse of the victim within moments of the bite.

“Unfortunately, in the process, Arthur received a fatal envenomation snake bite,” it said.

Arthur collapsed but quickly regained consciousness. The family remained unaware of the snakebite amid all the chaos of getting the children out of the yard.

It was the next morning when Arthur collapsed again the family got to know about the fatal injury to the cat.

The family rushed the cat to the vet, however, its condition was too serious to be recovered.

“His family, understandably devastated, remember him fondly and are forever grateful he saved the children’s lives. Arthur was always getting into mischief; he had previously visited us been in accidents and was very much loved by our team,” emergency vet care service said.

The brave act by cat was hailed by social media users as heroic and led to an outpour of grief.

“I’m soooooo saddened for the family and this Precious cat. Sending prayers for your broken hearts. You’ll see him again,” said a Facebook user.

“Oh Arthur... what a brave little man! My heart breaks for you and your family,” said another.

Snakes are cats second biggest foe down under, Aboriginal women top predator...they eat them.   Feral Cats are apparently bad for bio diversity and hunting them is encouraged.

Moggy ready for the pot.....

4608.jpg.f438128454328405c3fa9adffc556af5.jpg

4 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Snakes are cats second biggest foe down under, Aboriginal women top predator...they eat them.   Feral Cats are apparently bad for bio diversity and hunting them is encouraged.

Moggy ready for the pot.....

4608.jpg.f438128454328405c3fa9adffc556af5.jpg

My Aussie mate reckoned Abos were useless - well here's proof they're not!