• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

Canada ain't so liberal!

(Liberal in the left wing sense that is).

I've noted that a lot of SJW types like to hold Canada up as some kind of exemplar without making any effort to understand the country. Whilst it's true that is a nice country in most ways what they completely miss is that it's also pretty hard nosed and pragmatic about a lot of stuff. Anyway, in evidence, I give this link which is a page from the Toronto Star, a publication every bit as annoyingly lefty as the Grauniad in many respects. The sentiments expressed are widespread and accepted - The Star isn't publishing them to mock the little people or anything, it's doing it because that's what its mainly left of centre readers think:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editors/2017/08/26/your-letters-us-migrants-are-not-true-refugees.html

Two apt quotes strung together from the piece.

'Now these refugees fear the U.S. will send them back home and, even though they had agreed to go back, they now don’t want to go.'

'Instead of supporting illegal migrants, we should be supporting our own Indigenous peoples, many of whom are living in worse conditions than these Haitians face back home.'

Now you may argue about the second one in comparison to sub-saharan africa, but by and large the principle stands and this is what would be termed economic migration.

I've always found Canadians by and large polite but blunt and to the point with their opinion. Proper Canadians anyway, not 1st/2nd generation immigrants.

55 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Two apt quotes strung together from the piece.

'Now these refugees fear the U.S. will send them back home and, even though they had agreed to go back, they now don’t want to go.'

'Instead of supporting illegal migrants, we should be supporting our own Indigenous peoples, many of whom are living in worse conditions than these Haitians face back home.'

Now you may argue about the second one in comparison to sub-saharan africa, but by and large the principle stands and this is what would be termed economic migration.

I've always found Canadians by and large polite but blunt and to the point with their opinion. Proper Canadians anyway, not 1st/2nd generation immigrants.

Oy! I'm a first generation Canadian immigrant and I agree entirely with those sentiments as in fact do many others I know. There's a real feeling of "I jumped through loads of hoops to come here and get established why should others get a free ride?". It's also worth noting that immigrants here have tended to vote for the Tories not the Liberals over the last few elections.

Yeah, it's very sad Haiti had an earthquake in 2010. However they've had 7 years to sort the earthquake damage out....

It just annoys me on one hand white people are blamed for the lack of success of blacks in white countries. While at the same time  black countries are an unmitigated disaster.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

Yeah, it's very sad Haiti had an earthquake in 2010. However they've had 7 years to sort the earthquake damage out....

It just annoys me on one hand white people are blamed for the lack of success of blacks in white countries. While at the same time  black countries are an unmitigated disaster.

Haiti is an interesting case. The island is shared with the Dominican Republic which, by and large, runs fairly well for a third world country. The Haitian part of the island is a shit hole. The Dominicans told me that the Haitians deforested their part of the island which worsened and already more difficult climate situation. However Haiti is also over populated. It has been independent for over 200 years so should have had time to sort itself out.

28 minutes ago, davidg said:

Haiti is an interesting case. The island is shared with the Dominican Republic which, by and large, runs fairly well for a third world country. The Haitian part of the island is a shit hole. The Dominicans told me that the Haitians deforested their part of the island which worsened and already more difficult climate situation. However Haiti is also over populated. It has been independent for over 200 years so should have had time to sort itself out.

Is n't Haiti the place where the slaves revolted and got to rule themselves ?

7 minutes ago, Flirtygirty said:

Is n't Haiti the place where the slaves revolted and got to rule themselves ?

I've just learned something, they got to rule themselves, but the U.S. has effectively dictated how the island is run for the last 100 years and that included the Duvaliers.

Haitian Revolution (1791-1804) The Haitian Revolution has often been described as the largest and most successful slave rebellion in the Western Hemisphere. Slaves initiated the rebellion in 1791 and by 1803 they had succeeded in ending not just slavery but French control over the colony.

In an expression of the Theodore Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine, the United States occupied the island in July 1915 after the assassination of Haiti's president, Vilbrun Guillaume Sam. The pro-American President had been dragged from the French legation and killed in the street by local insurgents after he had ordered 167 political prisoners killed. USS Washington, under Rear Admiral Caperton, arrived in Port-au-Prince to try to restore order and protect American interests. This began a nearly 20-year occupation by U.S. forces. Within days, the Marines had taken control of the capital city and its banks and customs house which controlled all the finances of the island nation. The Marines declared martial law and severely censored the press. Within weeks a new pro-American President, Philippe Sudré Dartiguenave, had been installed and a new constitution written that was favorable to the interests of the United States. The new constitution included a clause that allowed, for the first time, foreign ownership of land in Haiti, which was bitterly opposed by the Haitian legislature and citizenry.

The next 5 years witnessed numerous cases of intimidation, arson, torture and murder of the Haitian population by U.S. Marines and their local enforcers, the Gendarmerie d'Haiti. It has been estimated that up to 15,000 Haitians lost their lives at the hands of the occupying forces, either through armed opposition or through the 'corvee' system of forced labor. This system allowed the occupying forces to take people from their homes and farms, at gunpoint if necessary, to build roads, bridges, etc. Many resisted and were killed on the spot while others died working or due to disease and malnutrition while living in squalid work camps.[83]

This chapter in the two nations' histories reflects the oppressive foreign policy of the United States toward its neighbors in Central America and the Caribbean that is often characterized as "gunboat diplomacy" or one of many "Banana Wars" that plagued the region in the early 20th century. U.S. Marines were stationed in the country until 1934, a period of nineteen years, and were finally ordered from the island by Franklin D. Roosevelt as a demonstration of his "Good Neighbor Policy". However, the United States controlled the economy of the island and heavily influenced elections in Haiti up through the 1980s.

Edited by Chewing Grass

Canada broadly welcomes migrants who have money are able to hold down high paying jibs.

Old, low skilled? Fuck off to the uk.

Uk would do well to copy canada. Tb test, 30k min single wage, 60k family else fuck off.

1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

Liberia has an interesting related history too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Liberia

Fascinating.

Quite interesting that ex US slaves returned to Africa and then essentially created a mirror image of the US South with themselves as the plantation owners exploiting the indigenous African population. I begin to understand why black Africans are so often wary of African Americans

1 hour ago, davidg said:

It was spygirls accent that had me confused

I have asuave, northern accent.

50€ says i cannot be left alone with any french women under 40.

Imagine what sasha dustell dud to menopausal british women.

Well, i have same effect on euro women under 40.

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I have asuave, northern accent.

50€ says i cannot be left alone with any french women under 40.

Imagine what sasha dustell dud to menopausal british women.

Well, i have same effect on euro women under 40.

Fuck off you lying cunt...!

;)

XYY

OK, another one from the Toronto Star:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/08/29/ndpers-tying-themselves-in-knots-to-defend-the-niqab-dimanno.html

It’s ironic that some of the same people who passionately insist there should never be any curtailment of religious rights in the public realm simultaneously justify limiting free speech that is hateful.

The niqab is hateful.

That is what I would have expected from the liberal left in the UK once upon a time.