DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Tip and the degeneration of Society

I go to the very shit local tip today and the queue is onto the main road and a significant roundabout blocking traffic into the city. I wait in line for about three quarters of an hour and when just inside the tip I do a u-turn and park in an unselfish location without blocking the huge queue in or out. This way I can get rid of my three armfulls of shite without going through the huge circular queue. I can, in effect, lessen the length of the queue for the good of everyone, without getting in anyone else's way. All good I thought.

On taking the last of my three armfulls I was greeted by a tip operative holding three cups of tea. "Just be quick as you're not supposed to be there". 

"I was going to say the same thing to you!" I responded

"What?" he asked

"Well your queue is now out of the depot, down the road, onto the main road and is now blocking the roundabout. Your tip is now blocking all traffic going into town"

"We can't shut the place down because you guys won't have anywhere to chuck away your stuff"

It went on. Management are shit. The private-public partnership meant that no-one gave a shit about the service. Council just need a tick in the box and the private company focus solely on minimising costs. Everyone is happy, apart from the 100,000 people in the town.

But what struck me was this guys notion that the solution to the tip being dysfunctional was to close the place down, instead of, you know, fixing the fucking problem. It feels like slow motion state failure to me.

Edited by spunko
18 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

So I go to the very shit local tip today and the queue is onto the main road and a significant roundabout blocking traffic into the city. I wait in line for about three quarters of an hour and when just inside the tip I do a u-turn and park in an unselfish location without blocking the huge queue in or out. This way I can get rid of my three armfulls of shite without going through the huge circular queue. I can, in effect, lessen the length of the queue for the good of everyone, without getting in anyone else's way. All good I thought.

On taking the last of my three armfulls I was greeted by a tip operative holding three cups of tea. "Just be quick as you're not supposed to be there". 

"What?" he asked

"Well your queue is now out of the depot, down the road, onto the main road and is now blocking the roundabout. Your tip is now blocking all traffic going into town"

"We can't shut the place down because you guys won't have anywhere to chuck away your stuff"

It went on. Management are shit. The private-public partnership meant that no-one gave a shit about the service. Council just need a tick in the box and the private company focus solely on minimising costs. Everyone is happy, apart from the 100,000 people in the town.

But what struck me was this guys notion that the solution to the tip being dysfunctional was to close the place down, instead of, you know, fixing the fucking problem. It feels like slow motion state failure to me.

And they wonder why people pay the nice oirish bloke to dump their shit at the local beauty spot. Madness. 
ive a load of stuff waiting to go to the tip but don’t have the energy to face it. 

2 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

Thing is at this very moment there are 3 largish building sites all around the ring road. Ergo, the number of residents is increasing greatly. The infrastructure is not being upgraded however as the 1970s car park/ tip highlights. The roads are a fucking mess too.

We are just debt monkeys being farmed. I'm so glad I pay so little tax. If only these people would just die. I just want them all dead. 90% of teachers can fuck off. Get a zoom video of an Oxbridge professor to give the whole country's Maths lessons. Computerise all the tests with occasional in-person checks. Tell 90% of the council scum to fuck off. Get the old people to pay for their own nursing homes or else just die at home like almost everyone else does around the world. NHS can provide basic 1950s style healthcare. People can elect to have more privately. 

It's all just a fucking racket. And all i ever hear on Pravda is degeneracy and client state apologism.

Calm down. You will give yourself a heart attack. :)

I completely agree. What we are facing now is not the norm. It will bankrupt the country and will return to norm.  

my gran, so it’s well within living memory, was very scared of the workhouse. So much so, she lived incredibly frugally. She knew the state would not provide. 

53 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

So I go to the very shit local tip today and the queue is onto the main road and a significant roundabout blocking traffic into the city. I wait in line for about three quarters of an hour and when just inside the tip I do a u-turn and park in an unselfish location without blocking the huge queue in or out. This way I can get rid of my three armfulls of shite without going through the huge circular queue. I can, in effect, lessen the length of the queue for the good of everyone, without getting in anyone else's way. All good I thought.

"What?" he asked

Our local tips great. Like a swap shop. I got a free Hozelock Hose and gave some large Laurel bushes and plant pots to people who asked last time I went.

Sorry not helpful.xD

5 minutes ago, tlc said:

Interesting.

My grandad saw a woman executed by the black and tans in 1920s Ireland.

My dad relayed the tale and told me of the atrocities of TPTB which years later left me sceptical of the  'state" .

And when atrocities such as that happen, they blame the squaddy, rather than the ones giving orders. 

lions led by donkeys. 

50 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

Thing is at this very moment there are 3 largish building sites all around the ring road. Ergo, the number of residents is increasing greatly. The infrastructure is not being upgraded however as the 1970s car park/ tip highlights. The roads are a fucking mess too.

We are just debt monkeys being farmed. I'm so glad I pay so little tax. If only these people would just die. I just want them all dead. 90% of teachers can fuck off. Get a zoom video of an Oxbridge professor to give the whole country's Maths lessons. Computerise all the tests with occasional in-person checks. Tell 90% of the council scum to fuck off. Get the old people to pay for their own nursing homes or else just die at home like almost everyone else does around the world. NHS can provide basic 1950s style healthcare. People can elect to have more privately. 

It's all just a fucking racket. And all i ever hear on Pravda is degeneracy and client state apologism.

Don’t put up with this shit @deathfunk

48 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

If you drink or smoke do both - now!

That reminds me of a rant my mate went on years ago where we were diverted down a road where there were road works to a dead end and all the car's were trapped by the car's behind them so no one could turn around and get out. A total clusterfuck, and the council workers just stood around looking nonchalant. 

We got out after an hour after the police were called to sort it after my mate threatened to "kill your fucking wife and kids and make you you watch before I do you"

Still makes me smile.

1 hour ago, deathfunk said:

Our tip, sorry household waste facility, used to be like that. Cars queuing to get in backing up across a roundabout up to the dual carriageway from the main ring road. 

Come Covid when everyone was stuck at home with time to declutter causing even bigger queues everyday instead of just at the weekend. They came up with an "improvement". First they installed ANPR cameras so they could stop anyone from outside the borough using the facility. Or maybe so they could employ a team to cross charge other nearby local authorities. Next they would only allow admittance by appointment. 

You had to book online. Slots were released at 02:15 the morning and you could only book for that day. You had to be quick to get one. Opening hours 08:30 - 18:00 or less in winter months. Your vehicle registration was checked on entry and you had up to 30 minutes to unload and leave. If it took longer, which I don't suppose it should to be fair they would probably fine you.

Woe betide you if you used the wrong skip to put your rubbish in. They could be quite selective on the type of waste. Builders materials, soil incurred a charge as well. 

I did clear a load of old paint whilst having our pre-move clear out. And the operative was very helpful and even carried a couple of tins for me. The big problem for me was having to resist bringing stuff home, that was too good to throw and could come in useful, if I could ever find a use for it :/

16 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

If you drink or smoke do both - now!

That reminds me of a rant my mate went on years ago where we were diverted down a road where there were road works to a dead end and all the car's were trapped by the car's behind them so no one could turn around and get out. A total clusterfuck, and the council workers just stood around looking nonchalant. 

We got out after an hour after the police were called to sort it after my mate threatened to "kill your fucking wife and kids and make you you watch before I do you"

Still makes me smile.

About five years ago I was about third on the scene of a car that had somehow managed to go onto its side and rotate so it was entirely blocking a fairly busy A road both ways.  I could see that people were out of the car and fine and being helped so left them to it.

This was just after a junction so I pulled back and headed off in what I knew was vaguely the right direction though hadn't been there before.

This was in Cornwall in the summer so there was a lot of tourist traffic which all decided to follow me as I looked like a local that knew what I was doing. 

I had visons of ending up in a farm track with thirty cars behind me.  Fortunately I was lucky on my choice of minor roads and drama was avoided.

18 hours ago, deathfunk said:

I go to the very shit local tip today and the queue is onto the main road and a significant roundabout blocking traffic into the city. I wait in line for about three quarters of an hour and when just inside the tip I do a u-turn and park in an unselfish location without blocking the huge queue in or out. This way I can get rid of my three armfulls of shite without going through the huge circular queue. I can, in effect, lessen the length of the queue for the good of everyone, without getting in anyone else's way. All good I thought.

"What?" he asked

There's a reason he's a tip operative. 

Concluding that society is failing because of the opinion of a man who could do no better in life than shovelling shit all day is a bit of an over reaction. 

16 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Our tip, sorry household waste facility, used to be like that. Cars queuing to get in backing up across a roundabout up to the dual carriageway from the main ring road. 

Ours is like that, only if you're smart you can arrive from the other direction, the direction that no one comes from and get priority at the roundabout going into the tip, thus avoiding the mile long queue that everyone else is in. 

Last time I went the person in the car queuing from the other direction went to pull out on me then thought better of it. 

2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Yes he has joined the public sector elite.

Job for life followed by gold plated pension.

Being a Recycling Centre Logistics and Control Officer is the modern equivalent of growing up to be a Bank Manager.

One of the happiest people I ever knew was a dump worker. We called him Blob. 

He did stink out the pub though.

Last time I went to the 'recycling centre - Mildenhall, suffolk, its in the middle of a forest - look it up - I usually park up and go for a walk in the woods after dropping off my crud - I was met by a man with a yellow jacket and clipboard (no face mask, thank god) 

It was empty, but I was told I had to go home and book an appointment. After a brief exchange, me observing there was no one - not one single member of the public in his yard, and seeing his clipboard appointments were literally (ie, not one) empty asked him why he couldnt just let me in, I just went for my walk instead, 10 mins later still no one there. 1 hour later, on my return leg of walk, still no one. 

Tried again, this time different man with clipboard, just let me straight in.