Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

The pernicious effects of social media


Hail the Tripod

Recommended Posts

Hail the Tripod

Monkey experiments and spiralling into depression, social anxiety and low testosterone: 

How much damage is this shit doing to people?

  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Libspero

It’s relatively harmless in itself..   just escapism from the real world.  It’s all mindless rubbish and opining on media trolling and click bait.

The worst thing IMO is all the mindless group think it creates.   Not enough critical thought.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
stop_the_craziness

I can't decide whether to go back on Strava this year or not.  I don't really do any other social media any more, although I still have accounts on other platforms.  I'd be interested to know if things like Whatsapp groups have dented the main social media platforms.  I'm in a group of 3 with my two closest friends because I do actually care what they are up to, so that seems to be enough for me.  I certainly can't be arsed with all the PR cleansed cobblers that comes out of celebrity accounts these days.  I think anyone even slightly famous who shares an honest opinion on Twitter must be insane.  The consequences that can rain down on you for a cheap laugh are just not worth the risk.

Edited by stop_the_craziness
  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeDavola
On 17/02/2021 at 19:10, Hail the Tripod said:

Monkey experiments and spiralling into depression, social anxiety and low testosterone: 

How much damage is this shit doing to people?

 

Very interesting video. And I think there is a lot of truth in it.

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Vendetta
On 17/02/2021 at 19:10, Hail the Tripod said:

Monkey experiments and spiralling into depression, social anxiety and low testosterone: 

How much damage is this shit doing to people?

Very good link.

I enjoyed that. Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeDavola
On 17/02/2021 at 19:10, Hail the Tripod said:

Monkey experiments and spiralling into depression, social anxiety and low testosterone: 

How much damage is this shit doing to people?

I've been thinking about this video more.

Everyone's assumed that the rapid drop in Testoserone in males over the last 50 years is due to what men are eating and drinking; but what if there is as much a behavioral link, with these 'low status' behaviors providing a negative feedback loop.

And the most extreme of these is probably the recent simping/only fans/e-thot phenomena where crowds of blokes fawn over unobtainable women on the internet. Think about that and then about the monkey model where they want to look at higher status monkeys - it's the same fucking thing.

Poor diet, lack of exercise, and low status behaviors are perhaps the three horsemen of the soypocalypse.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hail the Tripod
1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

Everyone's assumed that the rapid drop in Testoserone in males over the last 50 years is due to what men are eating and drinking; but what if there is as much a behavioral link, with these 'low status' behaviors providing a negative feedback loop.

It’s certainly a component, how large a proportion is an open question.

It’s noticeable how impossibly extreme “alpha male” physiques in film have become standard. Harrison Ford playing Deckard in 1982 was very much an Everyman physique, as was Roger Moore’s Bond. Nowadays no one shoots a topless scene without 6 months steroid enhanced gym work and 48 hours of dehydration. Probably has as much of an insidious effect on men’s self esteem as “Sex in the City” type shows have on women.

Instagram dials that up by an order of magnitude.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
snaga

perhaps modern humans haven't defeated Darwinism, a few males are likely to win the reproduction race, resulting in a stronger male population over a long enough time span?

  • Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Stuey
On 28/02/2021 at 13:14, Hail the Tripod said:

It’s certainly a component, how large a proportion is an open question.

It’s noticeable how impossibly extreme “alpha male” physiques in film have become standard. Harrison Ford playing Deckard in 1982 was very much an Everyman physique, as was Roger Moore’s Bond. Nowadays no one shoots a topless scene without 6 months steroid enhanced gym work and 48 hours of dehydration. Probably has as much of an insidious effect on men’s self esteem as “Sex in the City” type shows have on women.

Instagram dials that up by an order of magnitude.

At the same time, when you see men from the 1960s or before, they look different to modern blokes - stronger facial features. I suspect persistent effects of testosterone from hard physical work has an effect on facial development through your 20s to 50s.

You only really see this on a few bodybuilders or rugby players nowadays.

Physiognomy is much underrated...

  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Grey Man

I recall a conversation about 8 years ago with my older brother.

It was how so many people we knew in passing had perfect lives. Perfect homes. Perfect relationships. We wern't regulars on social media but would browse on. It was all true. The pictures and words to show it. Perfection.

We had to make a special effort for a grand house clean for guests coming round, perhaps shows cleaning is a low priority for us.

Meanwhile the perfect folk......they had already had their two children dry cleaned, for use on special occassions only, House vacupacked, already met several hundred friends that weekend and were showing pictures of their vogue style decor on line along with cramming a boutique hotel stay over at some point during this fiesta. All framed in glossy jpgs on line. Perfect.

Of course it wasnt like this, as we would then hear outside of this what was really going on in their lives. Affairs, DV, debt, kids off the rails and an ever declining personable, personality. We commented on how it was just so easy to feel lacking in life getting sucked in to this system. 

If I were to stretch it a bit further, this last year has felt most of the MSM in the UK has become social media. Read the news, feel shit, learn by rote the new rules and so learn what is expected to be a good citizen or friend.

Well 8 years ago me and my brother just avoided social media and now the same with the MSM, to a large degree . Largely because they both induce feelings of failure, fear, learned helplessness and dependency. The thing is, and this might sound haughty, is this situation the default for many nowadays?

 

 

Edited by The Grey Man
  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
jm51

It was similar before the net and social media. There would be some guys that always seemed to be doing well. Flash cars, flash life etc. Then you didn't see them for a few years because they were doing time.

 

  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Bornagain
6 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

I recall a conversation about 8 years ago with my older brother.

It was how so many people we knew in passing had perfect lives. Perfect homes. Perfect relationships. We wern't regulars on social media but would browse on. It was all true. The pictures and words to show it. Perfection.

We had to make a special effort for a grand house clean for guests coming round, perhaps shows cleaning is a low priority for us.

Meanwhile the perfect folk......they had already had their two children dry cleaned, for use on special occassions only, House vacupacked, already met several hundred friends that weekend and were showing pictures of their vogue style decor on line along with cramming a boutique hotel stay over at some point during this fiesta. All framed in glossy jpgs on line. Perfect.

Of course it wasnt like this, as we would then hear outside of this what was really going on in their lives. Affairs, DV, debt, kids off the rails and an ever declining personable, personality. We commented on how it was just so easy to feel lacking in life getting sucked in to this system. 

If I were to stretch it a bit further, this last year has felt most of the MSM in the UK has become social media. Read the news, feel shit, learn by rote the new rules and so learn what is expected to be a good citizen or friend.

Well 8 years ago me and my brother just avoided social media and now the same with the MSM, to a large degree . Largely because they both induce feelings of failure, fear, learned helplessness and dependency. The thing is, and this might sound haughty, is this situation the default for many nowadays?

 

 

Just about the only thing you will see on social media are the edited highlights of your friends world.

You see the night out in an expensive restaurant, the holiday, the new house and new car.....

You don't see the credit card bill, the final demands, the sleepless nights, the stress and the fighting.....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Lightly Toasted
On 17/02/2021 at 19:10, Hail the Tripod said:

Monkey experiments and spiralling into depression, social anxiety and low testosterone: 

How much damage is this shit doing to people?

It's very interesting how testosterone levels correlate with positions in social/business hierarchies.

I've thought for a while (may have said elsewhere) that studies of the gender pay gap, lack of women in board rooms etc. should correct for height (e.g. compare the outcomes for 5'2" men with the outcomes for 5'2" women); now I see that the analysis should also include testosterone levels :D

  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
stop_the_craziness
3 hours ago, Lightly Toasted said:

It's very interesting how testosterone levels correlate with positions in social/business hierarchies.

I've thought for a while (may have said elsewhere) that studies of the gender pay gap, lack of women in board rooms etc. should correct for height (e.g. compare the outcomes for 5'2" men with the outcomes for 5'2" women); now I see that the analysis should also include testosterone levels :D

As an older woman, I now definitely feel it was the oestrogen that had been holding me back all those years.  Not joking.  In fitness and in life, everything just comes more easily to me now and I'm a lot more dynamic in my training and more assured in my life in general.  Could just be age making me give less of a damn, but it feels physical rather than mental.

  • Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
201p

Look, this is my instagram. I just come out of the gym, I can bench press 150Kg no probs.

So much free time I don't know what to do with myself. I don't work either, I have an online income that brings in £5000 a week.

I'm only in my 20s as well. Must go now, no time to talk, got a party to attend in Dubai!

IMG_41681-micro.jpg summer_body_workout.jpg?itok=fLaIsBvk&timestamp=1462889092

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hancock
On 28/04/2021 at 12:10, 201p said:

Look, this is my instagram. I just come out of the gym, I can bench press 150Kg no probs.

So much free time I don't know what to do with myself. I don't work either, I have an online income that brings in £5000 a week.

I'm only in my 20s as well. Must go now, no time to talk, got a party to attend in Dubai!

IMG_41681-micro.jpg summer_body_workout.jpg?itok=fLaIsBvk&timestamp=1462889092

Selling ones arse to those dirty Arabs they met online!

Thats the only way those pretty boys and girls make money in Dubai.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hancock
On 06/03/2021 at 19:31, Bornagain said:

You see the night out in an expensive restaurant, the holiday, the new house and new car.....

If i uploaded picture of my food or holidays for the world to see; i'd think i was an absolute fucken bell-end and would probably top myself ..... So i can see how it is destructive to such people.

Only food i wish i could take a picture of is when i was 14 and going out getting drunk at the local disco, i threw up some "Heinz Noodle Doodles", and you could still see the shapes to the point they looked as if they'd come fresh out the tin.

I reckon it could have gone viral it was that impressive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stuey
15 minutes ago, Hancock said:

If i uploaded picture of my food or holidays for the world to see; i'd think i was an absolute fucken bell-end and would probably top myself ..... So i can see how it is destructive to such people.

Only food i wish i could take a picture of is when i was 14 and going out getting drunk at the local disco, i threw up some "Heinz Noodle Doodles", and you could still see the shapes to the point they looked as if they'd come fresh out the tin.

I reckon it could have gone viral it was that impressive.

I hurled underneath a canopy outside the uni library in about 2003. I'd been drinking red wine before and it stained the pavement for months :Beer:

  • Lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hancock
Just now, Stuey said:

I hurled underneath a canopy outside the uni library in about 2003. I'd been drinking red wine before and it stained the pavement for months :Beer:

Happy memories!

Link to post
Share on other sites
TheBlueCat
On 27/02/2021 at 13:07, stop_the_craziness said:

I can't decide whether to go back on Strava this year or not.  I don't really do any other social media any more, although I still have accounts on other platforms.  I'd be interested to know if things like Whatsapp groups have dented the main social media platforms.  I'm in a group of 3 with my two closest friends because I do actually care what they are up to, so that seems to be enough for me.  I certainly can't be arsed with all the PR cleansed cobblers that comes out of celebrity accounts these days.  I think anyone even slightly famous who shares an honest opinion on Twitter must be insane.  The consequences that can rain down on you for a cheap laugh are just not worth the risk.

I use Strava still. I like that the small group of people I'm connected with on there can provide some mutual encouragement and that it gives me one place to see all my virtual and real rides. I've never seen anyone write anything remotely nasty or political or whatever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Frank Hovis
On 26/04/2021 at 17:10, Lightly Toasted said:

It's very interesting how testosterone levels correlate with positions in social/business hierarchies.

I've thought for a while (may have said elsewhere) that studies of the gender pay gap, lack of women in board rooms etc. should correct for height (e.g. compare the outcomes for 5'2" men with the outcomes for 5'2" women); now I see that the analysis should also include testosterone levels :D

 

Whenever I infrequently read the Feminist threads on Mumsnet about how women are hard done by and examples given  they are always assuming that they are treated this way because they are women.

For maybe 90% of the examples cited - having to give way on pavements, ignored or overlooked, pushed out of the way in crowds - the exact same thing would apply for a similarly sized man.

If you metally replace the woman in each scenario with Willie Carson then it is usually obvious that he would have received the same treatment in the circumstances.

I suppose that you could flip it one more time in that saying that because society discriminates against small slightly built people then because far more women than men are small and slightly built then this is indirect discrimination against women.

The various issues in the MtF trans debate serve to highlight that the issue is about size and strength and not sex / gender.  If the MtF was, to use the previous example, Willie Carson then how many women would object to his, as a fully transitioned MtF woman, being in a women's sports team or prison?  Very few I would have thought.

The objection is actually to someone who is much bigger and stronger than most women being in the same which puts women at risk of injury or harm.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Lightly Toasted
5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

 

Whenever I infrequently read the Feminist threads on Mumsnet about how women are hard done by and examples given  they are always assuming that they are treated this way because they are women.

For maybe 90% of the examples cited - having to give way on pavements, ignored or overlooked, pushed out of the way in crowds - the exact same thing would apply for a similarly sized man.

If you metally replace the woman in each scenario with Willie Carson then it is usually obvious that he would have received the same treatment in the circumstances.

I suppose that you could flip it one more time in that saying that because society discriminates against small slightly built people then because far more women than men are small and slightly built then this is indirect discrimination against women.

The various issues in the MtF trans debate serve to highlight that the issue is about size and strength and not sex / gender.  If the MtF was, to use the previous example, Willie Carson then how many women would object to his, as a fully transitioned MtF woman, being in a women's sports team or prison?  Very few I would have thought.

The objection is actually to someone who is much bigger and stronger than most women being in the same which puts women at risk of injury or harm.

 

Chances are, when Willie Carson was at school there were similarly-sized females who wouldn't have been able to compete with him (for a place on the hockey team or whatever). It's not just about unfair advantage in high-level sport. Plus there's the issue of changing rooms etc.

I agree that given "structural discrimination" against short people then females will suffer disproportionately in certain areas -- however males will suffer disproportionately in others (not least, the assessment/reaction of many females).

If we decide to judge/intervene as a society in such areas, then we should judge/intervene impartially. We should look at the discriminated characteristic itself, in every situation where it causes disadvantage.

 

(from the Psychology Today article I linked above)
...

The results on partner preferences are a bit discouraging if you’re a short man. In general, women were more likely than men to think that the man should be taller and they tended to not want to be in a relationship in which they were taller than their male partners. Men liked being taller than their partners, but they didn’t care about the height difference as much as women did. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
stokiescum
On 06/03/2021 at 13:13, The Grey Man said:

I recall a conversation about 8 years ago with my older brother.

It was how so many people we knew in passing had perfect lives. Perfect homes. Perfect relationships. We wern't regulars on social media but would browse on. It was all true. The pictures and words to show it. Perfection.

We had to make a special effort for a grand house clean for guests coming round, perhaps shows cleaning is a low priority for us.

Meanwhile the perfect folk......they had already had their two children dry cleaned, for use on special occassions only, House vacupacked, already met several hundred friends that weekend and were showing pictures of their vogue style decor on line along with cramming a boutique hotel stay over at some point during this fiesta. All framed in glossy jpgs on line. Perfect.

Of course it wasnt like this, as we would then hear outside of this what was really going on in their lives. Affairs, DV, debt, kids off the rails and an ever declining personable, personality. We commented on how it was just so easy to feel lacking in life getting sucked in to this system. 

If I were to stretch it a bit further, this last year has felt most of the MSM in the UK has become social media. Read the news, feel shit, learn by rote the new rules and so learn what is expected to be a good citizen or friend.

Well 8 years ago me and my brother just avoided social media and now the same with the MSM, to a large degree . Largely because they both induce feelings of failure, fear, learned helplessness and dependency. The thing is, and this might sound haughty, is this situation the default for many nowadays?

 

 

Many I know on social  media make me feel better about myself constantly bleating how down they are or how fucked up there life’s are.there are a few that make you think wtf like my mate moaning about his moat and another is obviously a millionaire I just though he repaired fridges but is makeing an outstanding renovation of a house down south it’s nealy finished been watching him work for 2 years on it.on the whole I don’t mind Facebook 

  • Lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogtania
3 hours ago, stokiescum said:

Many I know on social  media make me feel better about myself constantly bleating how down they are or how fucked up there life’s are.there are a few that make you think wtf like my mate moaning about his moat and another is obviously a millionaire I just though he repaired fridges but is makeing an outstanding renovation of a house down south it’s nealy finished been watching him work for 2 years on it.on the whole I don’t mind Facebook 

I don't go on FB, partly because it feels creepy looking at other people's lives and partly I don't want to remind myself I'm not holidaying in Timbuktu with wonderful partner, house, job and all the bells and whistles.  I do keep as it's a way to stay in touch or reconnect with a few people and it's served its purpose.  Probably I'm a bit jaded and it's not all like, just not my thing, but I do remember in the past going on and seeing everyone's wonderful curated life like some kind of reality TV show.

Not sure it's a sort of 'class' thing.  I hear about other people's FB, say at work, where a lot of people connected to people they barely know through work and generally in the area. Talk of suicide, getting chucked out of houses, tantrums and more suicide.  TBF I'm just hearing the worst but seems more like reality good and bad..... As opposed to I'm guessing the more middle class type fake book where it's more aspirational, never airing your dirty laundry type thing, more about getting that perfect shot of wine and steak with the new decking, sunset and John Lewis outdoor furniture in frame.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...