DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

They seem to have a plan- do you?

Stinky Wizzleteats

Stinky Wizzleteats

I don't think it would be controversial on this forum to suggest idea that this whole covid shebang is part of a wider plan by someone to do something (insert your own antagonist and objective).

So if they have a plan, do you have one in response?

For me it seems that having a medium-term plan to move somewhere less accessible to the tentacles of technocracy might be a good idea. Where that would be I’m not sure, and as a single person I’m not ready to make the jump yet anyway (currently I would sacrifice safety for community up to an as-yet undefined point).

I'm not convinced the world is running out of food calories but growing your own source of micronutrients is probably a good idea too. I’m starting to get that one in hand.

Putting off getting jabbed as long as possible is a no-brainer for me.

Minimising debt and outgoings, and having an independent source of income are things I’m pondering right now.

What do you think the big threats are (to your physical wellbeing, your happiness, or your life)? What changes are you making, or preparing to make?

• Agree 3

Stick it out for 10yrs until Jnr is classed as an adult. No choice in that.

In the meantime build up a warchest to fund a property in the sticks.

I have huge music and Film/TV collections that im always adding to, digitising, compressing where possible. 

I dont want internet enabled things other than a phone and a laptop. 

I forsee more and more devices listening in to us. 

I also plan on aquiring various "tools" to protect my place in the sticks. I shall be looking at retiring not too long after i hopefully aquire it.

If people are nice to me, i shall be nice in return, even if we have different outlooks on life. People that are scum will be treated as such. Clock seems to spin a hell of a lot faster the older you get and im not wasting anymore time with morons.

• Agree 8
  • Cheers 1

King Penda

It needs to make its next move before I make mine which could be has simple has bunging someone 500 notes to have the jab for me.

• Agree 4
  • Lol 2

Get stronger.

I have said this before, I know. Other than "being conscripted into the army" (to fight whom? it would need to be some enemy for them to want men of my age), I can see no possible future where being physically more capable isn't to my advantage. I can imagine plenty of futures where being weaker is to my disadvantage.

I can't find the exact quote, but "a man is what he survives a shipwreck with".

I wish I'd known this twenty years ago, but the second best time is when I did.

• Agree 5
  • Cheers 1

I'm reminded of the Great Depression, etc.

It seems so sensible now to say 'why didn't they...'?  (do something that with hindsight seems obvious).

But there wasn't anything that they could do.  Their 'world' was smaller than ours and there wasn't really any way to outrun the chaos.

IMO our days are (will be) similar -- there's nowhere to hide.  

• Agree 5

18 minutes ago, apples said:

Get stronger.

I have said this before, I know. Other than "being conscripted into the army" (to fight whom? it would need to be some enemy for them to want men of my age), I can see no possible future where being physically more capable isn't to my advantage. I can imagine plenty of futures where being weaker is to my disadvantage.

The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war...

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

I hate having to say this but the UK authorities are in a no-win situation, early on they kept airports open to appease the "we need to go on holiday / it's only flu" brigade, then got slated by the same folk for letting in all the plague carriers who had been overseas. Same situation now - just swap overseas flights for EOHO, pubs, shops... Who knows what next? 

Holding saving savings now is a mistake (money printer is devaluing curreny) so either buy a tangible assets (gold, antiques, self-suffiecieny tools, handweapons for barter or to use in the civil war / riots / armageddon?).

I aim to be somewhere that my assests can't be siezed to fund the upcoming rescue package, and is as low-consumer / self sufficient as practical. Thailand is too far for me but relocating permenantly out of the UK is my no1 mission.

• Agree 3

King Penda
27 minutes ago, apples said:

Get stronger.

I’ve gone downhill very fast put 12kg on 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

It's winter, and nobody is going anywhere.

Stinky Wizzleteats
18 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I agree with @apples and @Stuey that being physically fit is important. As well as the day to day benefits it keeps you out of the hands of big pharma. Also empathise with you though- lockdown isn't physically or psychologically conducive to exercise

• Agree 1

Austin Allegro

Don't see much point of moving out of UK as this sh*tshow is global now so we might as well stay where we understand the language/culture etc.

Stuff I'm doing/have done:

- preparing to move to more remote/self sufficient location up country, partly to grow food, partly to be away from too many crowds if TSHTF and to be away from snoopers if we have permanent lockdown. Only problem as I see it could be the inability to move around if fuel/cars becomes expensive.

- building up physical gold and silver

- always studying new things like how-to videos, survival stuff, foraging, food growing/preparation, unarmed combat etc.

- building up books, maps etc in case net goes down

- building up local contacts with like-minded people, including those with access to firearms

- keeping fit and exercising, taking multivitamins etc

Edited by Austin Allegro
  • Agree 8
  • Cheers 2

King Penda
24 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's winter, and nobody is going anywhere.

Taken to napping in the day yep geting old

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

Don't see much point of moving out of UK as this sh*tshow is global now so we might as well stay where we understand the language/culture etc.

Stuff I'm doing/have done:

- preparing to move to more remote/self sufficient location up country, partly to grow food, partly to be away from too many crowds if TSHTF and to be away from snoopers if we have permanent lockdown. Only problem as I see it could be the inability to move around if fuel/cars becomes expensive.

- building up physical gold and silver

- always studying new things like how-to videos, survival stuff, foraging, food growing/preparation, unarmed combat etc.

- building up books, maps etc in case net goes down

- building up local contacts with like-minded people, including those with access to firearms

- keeping fit and exercising, taking multivitamins etc

We are pretty much doing the same. Especially the printed books. The Mrs has banned my from buying any more PMs for a while :(

Hopefully we will be completing on a place soon that is pretty secure and has a couple of acres of non overlooked land. Hen house and stable already in place. It's on a hill so we should be able to harvest water for the new veg garden we will put in. Will look into some beekeeping and maybe get a sheep or two to keep some of the pasture mown.

Operation Goodlife is progressing well.

It feels very strange burning through cash savings that took so long to build up though.

• Agree 6
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Oskar said:

It feels very strange burning through cash savings that took so long to build up though.

Better than some other f**er at the BOE doing it.

• Agree 8
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, onlyme said:

Better than some other f**er at the BOE doing it.

Exactly and we are even getting a small mortgage to hedge against debt forgiveness.

Time to pretend to be a sheeple.

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

Stinky Wizzleteats
2 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Strongly agree with this. I think people massively underestimate how hard it must be to move country entirely. I suspect most people who 'emigrate' end up coming back at some point. Good on em for trying but I shan't bother.

Have a few years abroad when you're young and with minimal responsibilities might be a good idea if you're an outgoing person though. 

• Agree 2

Mirror Mirror
2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

A little moment happend yesterday that will stick with me for the rest of my life. I met with my parents to go for a walk and whilst talking to my Dad I realized he all of a sudden looked much older to me. It was the first time I'd ever looked at him and seen an old man, someone who was beginning to look like some sort of frailty is setting in. Really shocked me and he's mentioned a couple of things recently that has me a bit worried about his health.

The point of this is that my Dad is 68, and retired 10 years ago via redundancy/early retirement with the council - great pension, big payout ect so has had 10 years retirement in good health. However my generation will be expected to be continuing to slave away full time at that age unless we take steps at a relatively young age to try and escape it. Having to deal with office stress and bullshit when you're pushing 70 is no life. Despite the goalposts shifting we are still as mortal as ever.

Want to know what’s more shocking than that?

Give it a few more years and you’ll see a photo of yourself, or catch sight if your reflection in a mirror behind a bar or in a shop window, and there will be an old bloke who looks like you.

24 minutes ago, Oskar said:

We are pretty much doing the same. Especially the printed books. The Mrs has banned my from buying any more PMs for a while :(

Hopefully we will be completing on a place soon that is pretty secure and has a couple of acres of non overlooked land. Hen house and stable already in place. It's on a hill so we should be able to harvest water for the new veg garden we will put in. Will look into some beekeeping and maybe get a sheep or two to keep some of the pasture mown.

Operation Goodlife is progressing well.

Just when they are getting cheaper too!

• Agree 5
  • Lol 3

JoeDavola
32 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Want to know what’s more shocking than that?

Give it a few more years and you’ll see a photo of yourself, or catch sight if your reflection in a mirror behind a bar or in a shop window, and there will be an old bloke who looks like you.

:D

Well I've been losing my hair slowly but surely since my early 20's so I'm used to the ravages of aging in some form.

But yes I've heard that story from a couple of people, most notably my late uncle who was in B&Q one day and spotted some old geezer staring at him in one of the departments that had loads of mirrors.

He quickly realized that the old geezer was in fact him.

• Lol 3

4 hours ago, stokiescum said:

Was OK last summer as could get out and do outside exercise, then at the gyms were open so could exercise too, with the latest lockdown I've managed to put on nearly 4kg ffs ...

King Penda
4 minutes ago, JFK said:

Was OK last summer as could get out and do outside exercise, then at the gyms were open so could exercise too, with the latest lockdown I've managed to put on nearly 4kg ffs ...

I’m siting around now not going to work drinking most nights my own fault 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I’m siting around now not going to work drinking most nights my own fault 

Ditto.

Great fun...

• Lol 2

1 hour ago, Stinky Wizzleteats said:

Strongly agree with this. I think people massively underestimate how hard it must be to move country entirely. I suspect most people who 'emigrate' end up coming back at some point. Good on em for trying but I shan't bother.

Have a few years abroad when you're young and with minimal responsibilities might be a good idea if you're an outgoing person though. 

I've done it twice. It was certainly hard work but well worth it. Tough times teach resilience. I would never go 'back' because home is now wherever I am.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

I guess I could summarize my priorities with:

- try and spend as little time as possible over my lifetime wage-slaving; via hopefully continuing with a job that doesn't take long hours to do, and try and retire before 60. Ideally getting out by 55 would be great but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

- keep in as good health as possible via diet, exercise and minimizing stress.

A little moment happend yesterday that will stick with me for the rest of my life. I met with my parents to go for a walk and whilst talking to my Dad I realized he all of a sudden looked much older to me. It was the first time I'd ever looked at him and seen an old man, someone who was beginning to look like some sort of frailty is setting in. Really shocked me and he's mentioned a couple of things recently that has me a bit worried about his health.

The point of this is that my Dad is 68, and retired 10 years ago via redundancy/early retirement with the council - great pension, big payout ect so has had 10 years retirement in good health. However my generation will be expected to be continuing to slave away full time at that age unless we take steps at a relatively young age to try and escape it. Having to deal with office stress and bullshit when you're pushing 70 is no life. Despite the goalposts shifting we are still as mortal as ever.

Great post. My dad retired at a similar age with a reasonable pension. I try and imagine doing my job, even part time, at 65 and I couldn’t do it. An ex colleague of mine died last year at 60. Would have had hundreds of thousands in assets that he never got to enjoy.

So....my take on it is my wife and I will work part time as long as we have to. Both under the tax threshold. Both thank Yahweh naturally life-long frugal. She earns more than me and spends what she likes. You once mentioned you spend like a student and that sounds like me!

Also being mortgage and child free helps so so much. After seeing the vile gubberbankment throw tens of billions away on the shite this last year now makes me spend even less, I just think of where that VAT is going when I buy something.

Also have seen so many examples of public sector pensions. Sickens me, even just what my parents receive after very modest work lives compared to what youngsters actually graft for disgusts me. I’ve told some of the stories before. I’ll do anything not to feed that beast.

• Agree 11