DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Things that interest you but you dont partake in

Strange thread title but i absolutely love watching the Motorbike Show on ITV4.

I've never ridden a motorbike, other than a childs size one at a country fair when i was a kid obviously. I have no interest on getting one either. Death trap on this countries roads due to potholes and inconsiderate twunts that dont look.

But i could watch this show for hours. I think it could be the old farts in sheds theme to it, thus it could be about restoring lawnmowers and i'd probably love it just as much.

Not posted on the hobbies thread as its not my hobby. :-)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lesbianism. I would, but I am barred by default.

I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I fell off on my bike test, but it was in the days when the examiner would stand with a clipboard on the corner of the block, and fortunately, not the corner I

Reminds me of one of my European trips with my mate Roy. We had turned onto a toll road which Roy was point blank refusing to pay for, on account of Roy being as tight ducks arse, so I was in the

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

I've never ridden a motorbike, other than a childs size one at a country fair when i was a kid obviously. I have no interest on getting one either. Death trap on this countries roads due to potholes and inconsiderate twunts that dont look.

But i could watch this show for hours. I think it could be the old farts in sheds theme to it, thus it could be about restoring lawnmowers and i'd probably love it just as much.

I'm the same with motorbikes, I have a number of friends who have them and many more did when younger. I've done off road a few times and had a go on a couple of road bikes (in a deserted part of the countryside at dawn as I didn't have a bike licence...) and loved them, particularly on the road and can see the appeal and then some.

I was always put off by the number of near misses my friends have had (not one hasn't come off or been knocked off at some point) and the other horror stories from other people I have met. The landlord of my first local pub only had one leg.

I am not a chicken type, and wasn't worried about getting killed, more so getting maimed.

I'm less concerned about it now though I'm older and over lockdown did start thinking about taking my test and getting something (sensible). Whether I do or not will remain to be seen.

Keeping an old car going.

I used to buy Practical Classics and now watch Hubnut's YouTube channel with interest following his struggle to get and keep six or so very ordinary but old cars working.

I used to want to restore one but really I think I have better things to do with my time, and it seems to cost rather than save money, so instead I watch Hubnut try to sort his cars out.

I much prefer this to one of those slick TV shows with a fully equipped workshop, tame paint men, and as many staff as you want to make everything perfect within a week and turn a paper profit.

This is one man with limited mechanical knowledge or ability and limited funds trying to get old cars back on the road.

I would like to think that he is doing this so that I don't have to.

This video is typical.  He sets out to do a service on his Matiz and instead of doing that breaks several parts for which he has no replacements so stops.

If I was doing that myself I would be so annoyed and frustrated but because it's somebody else it's entertainment and relief that it isn't me increasing the problems that I need to sort out.  He doesn't edit out his mistakes instead he leaves tham all in.  Recommended.

Good question. Thinking about it very little actually. I've some sort of vague link to most things I watch or read about. 

Gymnastics is probably one in terms of watching. It's just so ridiculously impressive. I'm not an avid follower but watch it more if it's on than anything else I've zero experience in. 

It's also the only sport I think the blokes and burds are equals in. In different ways - but overall yes imo. 

3 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Just get a litre sports bike off ebay then watch a few YouTube videos of people doing their bike test, take it to the test centre on a trailer and the open road and sense of freedom awaits; probably.

I sort of don’t like sharing this as I don’t really think people deserve to have their fuck ups broadcast for eternity and let’s face it everyone does fucks up sometimes but this is more to highlight the inadequacies of training as this guy’s had all the training and there’s no way he’s ready for the test.

Edited by SNACR

American blokes on Youtube pulling 40 year old cars out of a ditch somewhere and getting them running again. I've watched hours of it recently.

I never really got the American car thing. It's like on Top Gear when they take the piss out of Hammond for liking American muscle cars. I never got it either. But listening to a V8 burbling away just idling. Damn. I need that. I am beginning to get it.

Never actually do it, of course.

Edited by Bandit Banzai
15 minutes ago, Bandit Banzai said:

American blokes on Youtube pulling 40 year old cars out of a ditch somewhere and getting them running again. I've watched hours of it recently.

I never really got the American car thing. It's like on Top Gear when they take the piss out of Hammond for liking American muscle cars. I never got it either. But listening to a V8 burbling away just idling. Damn. I need that. I am beginning to get it.

Good man.  Once you feel the joy of American cars it’s hard to get away from.  The highly engineered/efficient/refined German V8’s just don’t seem to make sense anymore.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

I sort of don’t like sharing this as I don’t really think people deserve to have their fuck ups broadcast for eternity and let’s face it everyone does fucks up sometimes but this is more to highlight the inadequacies of training as this guy’s had all the training and there’s no way he’s ready for the test.

I don't think I ever do U turns now and I've got hundreds of thousands of miles on my bike :-). I'll have to go out and try one and maybe film it :-)

Seriously when I did my bike test way back in the day I spent a long long time doing U turns on a closed road. This guy seems to have very limited control although it was all going so well at the start.

The secret of turning is to look where you want to go, not at what you are going to hit :-)

Edited by Dave Bloke
1 hour ago, Bandit Banzai said:

Just to annoy you. 

I've probably mentioned this a few times before. ..:Old:

My first ever vehicle I owned was a V8 5.7 litre Chevvy Van in Canada. 

Poor @MrPin has heard this countless times before. 

He owned an old V8 Mustang I believe. 

2 hours ago, SNACR said:

Just get a litre sports bike off ebay then watch a few YouTube videos of people doing their bike test, take it to the test centre on a trailer and the open road and sense of freedom awaits; probably.

It’s a very long time since I rode a motorbike, damned things were too cold for my liking, but I have no memory of it being as difficult as that bloke made it look, apart from on frozen Cotswold lanes when it became genuinely tricky. He’s lucky, I’d say, a bruise or two and dented dignity is better than being dead which for someone with that level of co-ordination is the most likely outcome.