DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Stella no longer stellar

I may have mentioned before that maybe twelve years ago Lidl's Hatherwood bitter was one of my favourite beers for which I would happily have paid pub prices because it was such a good beer.

Then over a few months they twice dropped the alcohol level from IIRC 5% to 4.5% to the current 3.8%.  And with that went its body.  It was now a watery beer and I wasn't going to buy a beer I didn't enjoy purely because it was cheap.

Well now Budweiser Brewing Group is playing the same trick with Stella.  It took it down from 5% to 4.8% in 2012 and has now cut it further to 4.6%. The reason being, of course, that it saves them money in duty.

Their nonsensical claim however is:

Stella owners Budweiser Brewing Group UK&I say they've lowered the alcohol content in its canned, draft and gluten-free versions to capitalise on the popularity of "wellness trends".

But it changes the taste.  Do they not understand this?

There are loads of one star reviews on Tesco's website.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/14099167/fury-stella-artois-reduces-alcohol-percentage-lagers/

@stokiescum - be careful out there; cheap can mean nasty

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Wellness Trends" my fucking arsehole. It's due to more lobbying by neo-puritan cunts funded by the remnants of the temperance movement egged on by that fucking incubus from the Alcohol Health Allianc

I may have mentioned before that maybe twelve years ago Lidl's Hatherwood bitter was one of my favourite beers for which I would happily have paid pub prices because it was such a good beer. Then

Buy Polish lagers, they start at 5% and the good ones are 7%. Get them from Mr. Patel and they won't have stupid duty prices.  

Posted Images

I noticed that M&S decided that 2020 was the year to launch a range of alcohol free spirits in cans - rum and coke, gin and tonic, etc. All expensive, all zero alcohol.

I noticed they were trying to flog them off for a quid per can this week. What is the point in a nation of stressed out people.

Yes Frank, I have noticed the alcohol content going down in bottled lagers. Is it cost cutting or can they not ferment the stuff long enough now because demand is so high.

Yeah I've noticed this reduction in alcohol with Stella, however it's currently my go-to lager.  Can't say I've noticed a deterioration in taste although I don't doubt it.  Next would be Peroni but the price is eye watering up here.  £4.17/litre vs £2.65/litre for Stella.   

As a follow up beer informational post:

If we are ever allowed back into pubs then I will be going to my usual favourites which are mostly Wetherspoon's.

However.

If they have a beer festival on make sure that you read the leaflet and avoid any beer where the notes say that it has been "brewed for Wetherspoon".

Whilst this sounds like a good thing it really isn't.  What it means is that the brewer has deviated from their usual recipe to a cheaper one in order to meet Wetherspoon's offered pricing which means it won't be as good as you remember it.

I discovered this after expressing my disappointment at a pint of Exmoor Gold I had drunk in a Wetherspoon's festival to somebody who was a part owner of a small SW brewery; he explained that they (and all other brewers) insisted that this be put in the description if cheaper ingredients are used os that people understand that it's below the usual level.

Though people don't generally take this away from that phrase.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I noticed that M&S decided that 2020 was the year to launch a range of alcohol free spirits in cans - rum and coke, gin and tonic, etc. All expensive, all zero alcohol.

I noticed they were trying to flog them off for a quid per can this week. What is the point in a nation of stressed out people.

Yes Frank, I have noticed the alcohol content going down in bottled lagers. Is it cost cutting or can they not ferment the stuff long enough now because demand is so high.

They save a fortune on duty with the lower content is the only reason; and they hope that people won't notice it.  Time is probably not an issue as you can increase the strength by increasing the amount of barley.

That's why you can buy four cans of supermarket 1.8% beer for something like 30p each.

12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I may have mentioned before that maybe twelve years ago Lidl's Hatherwood bitter was one of my favourite beers for which I would happily have paid pub prices because it was such a good beer.

Then over a few months they twice dropped the alcohol level from IIRC 5% to 4.5% to the current 3.8%.  And with that went its body.  It was now a watery beer and I wasn't going to buy a beer I didn't enjoy purely because it was cheap.

Well now Budweiser Brewing Group is playing the same trick with Stella.  It took it down from 5% to 4.8% in 2012 and has now cut it further to 4.6%. The reason being, of course, that it saves them money in duty.

Their nonsensical claim however is:

But it changes the taste.  Do they not understand this?

There are loads of one star reviews on Tesco's website.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/14099167/fury-stella-artois-reduces-alcohol-percentage-lagers/

@stokiescum - be careful out there; cheap can mean nasty

Yes it’s a race to the bottom I stoped drinking Stella a few weeks ago when I noticed . This is £2.80 for 4 cans it’s got the same abv has the old Stella not the 5.2 % version we remember.a friend claims it’s actually the 4.8 and calls it fake Stella .got a few beers in the fridge for later 

B71BF9DB-09BD-48FB-BE22-ADE3D66F1B70.jpeg

9DA40DD2-FC7E-4154-AF2B-BDA89B6C3A8A.jpeg

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yeah I've noticed this reduction in alcohol with Stella, however it's currently my go-to lager.  Can't say I've noticed a deterioration in taste although I don't doubt it.  Next would be Peroni but the price is eye watering up here.  £4.17/litre vs £2.65/litre for Stella.   

I would suggest following the leads of myself and @stokiescum by trying out Aldi and Lidl lagers.

They need to be properly chilled but I would say that Perlenbacher from Lidl is especially excellent with Sainte Etienne from Aldi being very decent.

Though avoid their cheapest lagers which are usually disgustingly sweet because they haven't allowed the fermentation to finish before pasteurising.

1 minute ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

"Wellness Trends" my fucking arsehole. It's due to more lobbying by neo-puritan cunts funded by the remnants of the temperance movement egged on by that fucking incubus from the Alcohol Health Alliance Ian Gilmore.

God Christ why won't these fascists just fuck off.

It is just a shit excuse for reducing costs. They'll innovate a 405ml can next.

No-one who drinks Stella, at least in the UK, is able to say how many Ls are in wellness much less care about it when on the bevvy.

I'm seriously considering getting on it now. There is whisky in the cupboard. And port.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I would suggest following the leads of myself and @stokiescum by trying out Aldi and Lidl lagers.

They need to be properly chilled but I would say that Perlenbacher from Lidl is especially excellent with Sainte Etienne from Aldi being very decent.

Though avoid their cheapest lagers which are usually disgustingly sweet because they haven't allowed the fermentation to finish before pasteurising.

Agreed, Perlenbacher is really good but I'm never in Lidl these days.  Occasionally Aldi so will try the Sainte Etienne.  Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Horris Courtney said:

I wonder as consequence of dropping the octane level of Stella, it'll lose its colloquial moniker 'Wife Beater'.

On a series note if anyone has a picture of the calories in a tin of 4.8 % Stella and they are the same has the these tins I’ve got for later it could actually be the old Stella 

2 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Bird beater or is that those tweed wearers on the moors?

Depends on how likely it is to send you into a rage I think

Just now, Caravan Monster said:

Is carlsberg export still any good? According to search it's 4.8%, 15+ years ago it was regularly on offer in the local pub and bloody lovely and  everyone would end up getting wrecked because of the cheapness, strength and moreishness. The label is wierdly orange now

Carlsberg Export 4 x 440ml from Ocado

I've got some as it was 10 tins for £8. It is ok. Needs to be proper cold.

I can’t remember the last time I tried a deep, full bodied beer from a supermarket.  They all taste thin, watery and hoppy to me.

Unless you go full on Guinness etc..  but that’s not really my cup of tea either.

For really good beer I’d be looking for small local brewery,  or just brewing my own.  I’m surprised more dosbodders don’t do the latter to be honest.