DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Things that you're just not going to see

Without being too morbid... I'm mid 50s so likely just about half way through my life. It got me to think that maybe things that early on in my life I hoped would happen are just not going to.

E.g.  'free' electricity from nuclear power; (not getting into a debate) end of royal families and the Lords; just what is at the end of the universe....

On the plus side,  my team won the cup and I've done it with a girl.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm probably not going to see attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

We did not even have a Moon Base by 1999 which that TV series said was nailed on. Computer technology has become ubiquitous but instead of being used for education, technical advancement  and rea

God loves an optimist.

Posted Images

Same age

The world.

I am genuinely worried about  being in a nursing home having not got to some places.

I don't want to see the world on television, well I don't have a TV for a start

I still have places on the bucket list

E Kamchatka peninsula is at the top

Sea of Cortez

Greenland

French Polynesia

South Georgia (got to Antarctica last winter)

Mongolia

Tibet

Pategonia

Urban places don't interest me at all.

I don't have the money to travel to the places I want to go, so I have to orchestrate/persuade  people to pay me to go because they want my work.

Edited by Hopeful

As a kid in the post Apollo era I thought we would have space hotels, moonbases, a Martian colony, manned spacecraft exploring the solar system and be mining the asteroid belt by now.

Cure for cancer.

Seasteading.

Routine supersonic flight.

Education would advance not regress.

About the only thing we did get was video calling and I despise it...

6 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

As a kid in the post Apollo era I thought we would have space hotels, moonbases, a Martian colony, manned spacecraft exploring the solar system and be mining the asteroid belt by now.

Cure for cancer.

Seasteading.

We did not even have a Moon Base by 1999 which that TV series said was nailed on.

Computer technology has become ubiquitous but instead of being used for education, technical advancement  and reasoned debate it has largely operated as a communal graffiti space where humans can throw verbal excrement at each other.

Edited by Virgil Caine
3 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Same age

The world.

I am genuinely worried about  being in a nursing home having not got to some places.

I don't want to see the world on television, well I don't have a TV for a start

I still have places on the bucket list

E Kamchatka peninsula is at the top

Sea of Cortez

Greenland

French Polynesia

South Georgia (got to Antarctica last winter)

Mongolia

Tibet

Pategonia

Urban places don't interest me at all.

I don't have the money to travel to the places I want to go, so I have to orchestrate/persuade  people to pay me to go because they want my work.

Get a motorbike, head across the channel, and you can probably get to a lot of those places. Might want to leave a bit in the kitty for sea passage across to Alaska as a Bering Strait land crossing could be a bit dicey.

On the plus side foreigners seem to have some innate desire to assist any British eccentrics, that rock up in their country, even though history suggests this approach may have cost them quite a lot of land, oil and mineral wealth.

Edited by SNACR
11 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Get a motorbike, head across the channel, and you can probably get to a lot of those places. Might want to leave a bit in the kitty for sea passage across to Alaska as a Bering Strait land crossing could be a bit dicey.

On the plus side foreigners seem to have some innate desire to assist any British eccentrics, that rock up in their country, even though history suggests this approach may have cost them quite a lot of land, oil and mineral wealth.

Looking at a secondhand one of these at the w/end, the cabin bit.

Peace in our time, robots doing all the manual / menial / repetitive tasks so that the population can relax and enjoy quality time in cultural debates and finding ways to improve the lives of their fellow men/women/LGBTMYRY+

Free energy, clean & green private transport - esp flying cars!   

This guy nails it https://www.azquotes.com/author/6777-Tom_Hodgkinson 

Labour)saving.jpg

4 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Cure for cancer.

Seasteading.

I think Cannabliss fixes some of these.

Cani-bliss.

We are never ever again going to see a non-mixed race couple on the TV trying to flog us a sofa, getting us to get eat greasy food delivered to our door by a county-lines moped yob, or advising to release equity in property to ensure the grandkids can do a gap-ya while grandpops is dribbling down the front of his shirt and shitting his pants while watching countdown.

I can feel myself getting dewy-eyed already.