• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

£55k for a semi overlooking Looe Harbour

Recommended Posts

Quote

The average price of a property in Looe is £269,350, according to property website Zoopla. That compares to an average price of £305,079 for the UK.

 

Where the average salary in looe is 'let me guess' 13K pa? At 55k, sounds about right, pity its unihabitable at that price?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can it be knocked down (as suggested in the article) if it's attached to another house?

Anyhoo, if bought for the right price the new owner might just be flushed with success. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's got mundic so you cannot get a mortgage. Also probably subsidence issues.

They used the spoil from clay mining to make concrete building blocks. Seemed a good idea at the time. However when the blocks become damp they react to form acid and dissolve away. These are referred to as mundic.

 

Edit - I've a mate who recently bought a similar property over-looking the harbour for 90K.  He nearly went bust having every block tested for mundic and removed and replaced. He eventually sold but made no profit. 

Edited by Wahoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a slightly different issue...it's always surprised me that prices in Looe are low for Cornwall. Go to Padstow and you would at least double valuations. Looe hasn't been discovered by the big-nobs yet. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Surely the party wall in a semi-detached is not the same as the outside wall?

What I mean is, it should still be possible to knock it down, but I know nothing...

Best option for rich Londoner would be to buy next door as well.

Looe is not padstow though.

Like chalk n cheese, like comparing notting hill with northampton chav centrale....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Yes I seem to remember Looe being roughish by rep when I lived down that way. No surf either.

Did a week there about fifteen years ago. It struck me as a lovely proper working town. Liked it very much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Did a week there about fifteen years ago. It struck me as a lovely proper working town. Liked it very much. 

I think there is a lot of rehousing of the disadvantaged in looe. Read from that what you may. Last time I visited it struck as not very Cornish at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

I think there is a lot of rehousing of the disadvantaged in looe. Read from that what you may. Last time I visited it struck as not very Cornish at all.

Shame, it was nice. Like so many other places....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Shame, it was nice. Like so many other places....

Polperro is a stones throw along the coast and still like the looe you remember. Lovely village in a stunning setting. And a great place for a pub crawl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/08/2017 at 23:53, Green Devil said:

I think there is a lot of rehousing of the disadvantaged in looe. Read from that what you may. Last time I visited it struck as not very Cornish at all.

I've always found Looe very nice.  Though remain entirely baffled by the appeal of Padstow; one small harbour and a milling crowd walking round and round it.

Bude was nice but like loads of cheap towns has suffered from a load of social housing built without there being local need and so mostly populated by decamping drug dealers and layabouts from up north; particularly Manchester for some reason.

This happens in places where land is cheap,  it's easy to get planning permission for social housing, but the local demand isn't there. Loads went up around Oakehampton.  It's not a bad place, just middle of nowhere and slightly down at heel. So nobody living in Plymouth or Exeter who wants social housing will want to move there but for somebody from Manchester, Devon sounds nice and they're not going to know that they're moving to the back of beyond.

I'm not having a go at Manchester but they seem to be the majority tenant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've always found Looe very nice.  Though remain entirely baffled by the appeal of Padstow; one small harbour and a milling crowd walking round and round it.

Bude was nice but like loads of cheap towns has suffered from a load of social housing built without there being local need and so mostly populated by decamping drug dealers and layabouts from up north; particularly Manchester for some reason.

This happens in places where land is cheap,  it's easy to get planning permission for social housing, but the local demand isn't there. Loads went up around Oakehampton.  It's not a bad place, just middle of nowhere and slightly down at heel. So nobody living in Plymouth or Exeter who wants social housing will want to move there but for somebody from Manchester, Devon sounds nice and they're not going to know that they're moving to the back of beyond.

I'm not having a go at Manchester but they seem to be the majority tenant.

It could be worse. There is a massive estate being built on the edge of Whitby (five minutes from my doorstep)  they are apparently being filled with people from Middlesbrough. O.o  these won't be hard working people but the dross of unemployable that they have shifted into towns on the coast south of boro and who have turned them into places where you just wouldn't want to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One percent said:

It could be worse. There is a massive estate being built on the edge of Whitby (five minutes from my doorstep)  they are apparently being filled with people from Middlesbrough. O.o  these won't be hard working people but the dross of unemployable that they have shifted into towns on the coast south of boro and who have turned them into places where you just wouldn't want to go. 

Surely those seeking work should be moving to the cities and not the coastal towns .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Green Devil said:

Surely those seeking work should be moving to the cities and not the coastal towns .....

Exactly. No one I know from school lives in the town.  We all left to find work.  It's been the same sice the 80s (I blame fatch).  So, the only people moving into these will be those with independent means or those been given shed loads by the state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Exactly. No one I know from school lives in the town.  We all left to find work.  It's been the same sice the 80s (I blame fatch).  So, the only people moving into these will be those with independent means or those been given shed loads by the state. 

So what's the criteria to get one of these freebie coastal relocations. Do I need to be a ex heroine addict?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

So what's the criteria to get one of these freebie coastal relocations. Do I need to be a ex heroine addict?

Good question.  I'll start a thread once they start moving people in.  Don't forget that Middlesbrough have been very active in taking in "refugees ". Remember the red door debacle?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Green Devil said:

So what's the criteria to get one of these freebie coastal relocations. Do I need to be a ex heroine addict?

If it's council / HA rented them as long as you qualify elsewhere and the council / HA is unable to find a qualifying tenant locally then you're in.

This makes sense because they need to receive rent upon the property or will just lose money.

However wind back a bit before the house was built and it doesn't make sense because their purpose is to serve their local area and they have just spent considerable money building a house that nobody local wants to live in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

If it's council / HA rented them as long as you qualify elsewhere and the council / HA is unable to find a qualifying tenant locally then you're in.

This makes sense because they need to receive rent upon the property or will just lose money.

However wind back a bit before the house was built and it doesn't make sense because their purpose is to serve their local area and they have just spent considerable money building a house that nobody local wants to live in.

Round by me local people say they cannot get a council house. Let's see who ends up living in those being built. My money is on it not being local people 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.