DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Investment opportunities around the move to electric cars

goldbug9999

Looking for stock ideas that will capitalise on the move to electric cars as recently several big manufactures as have said "we will be all electric by 20xx".

I'm thinking about materials and infrastructure such as Neodymium (the rare earth metal used for magnets) and Lithium rather than manufactures themselves. Maybe companies that build charging stations ... I'm not very imaginative when it comes to this sort of thing.

Any shorting opportunities ? (although I'm not by nature a shorter) Kwick Fit ? since electric cars are essential zero maintanence.

Has anyone started a company offering emergency mobile recharges ?.

Edited by goldbug9999
stokiescum

Houses with drives will start to shoot up in value soon a bonus will be a garage .

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1
Hardhat

HZM - Horizonte Minerals - Nickel

KOD - Kodal Minerals - Lithium (maybe... personally think this stock is a bit dodge)

NIO - Chinese electric car maker

Worth noting that BP and Shell have been buying up charging networks.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 3
nirvana
15 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Has anyone started a company offering emergency mobile recharges ?.

RAC do that now.....I watched a vid of some geezer driving an ID3 til it ran out of battery.....must have been bored that day :P

goldbug9999
10 minutes ago, nirvana said:

RAC do that now.....I watched a vid of some geezer driving an ID3 til it ran out of battery.....must have been bored that day :P

Yes I see there is a pivot opportunity there but the general demand for mobile road side repair is going to drop off massively however I cant work out whether this is good or bad for the likes of AA and RAC - it could be really bad if people just stop subscribing or really good if people still (mistakenly) think they need such services but never actual make any call outs.

Edited by goldbug9999
stokiescum
7 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Yes I see there is a pivot opportunity there but the general demand for mobile road side repair is going to drop off massively however I cant work out whether this is good or bad for the likes of AA and RAC - it could be really bad if people just stop subscribing or really good if people still (mistakenly) think they need such services but never actual make any call outs.

Flat battery’s will carry on has normal in fact even in summer 

longtomsilver

I bought some Bacanora Lithium last week. A small amount as most of my money is on Horizonte Minerals.

Only a fun trade of £1k as the chart shows the lowest support around 20p and the highest at around 90p so I seen £500 of downside risk vs £1k of upside.

Lithium is only a small part of batteries and manufacturers are pushing for ever higher nickel content as that makes recycling financially viable.

Edited by longtomsilver
  • Cheers 1
nirvana
6 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Only a small amount as most of my money is on Horizonte Minerals

yeah I moved out of Oil into HZM and something else.....arrgghhhhh!

• Lol 1
longtomsilver
13 minutes ago, nirvana said:

yeah I moved out of Oil into HZM and something else.....arrgghhhhh!

Yeah I'm not happy with Jeremy's recent raise at 7.5p when the last offtake was in effect 10p with suppressed nickel prices. Hopefully this has created a new floor and will present itself as a buying opportunity for others. I'm balls deep so won't be adding anymore.

• Cheers 1
  • 1 month later...
Errol

Buying rare/performance naturally aspirated petrol cars. 

Once everyone has gone electric, petrol performance cars will start to shoot up in value even more.

The Ferrari 458 Speciale, for example, will only ever go up in value as time goes on. Once electric is the norm, people will be amazed at the sound and dynamism created by cars like this. The Lamborghini Aventador is another example.

I'm prepared to bet that the super-wealthy (the sort who can afford vast warehouses and storage facilities) are already stacking these cars. 

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
goldbug9999
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Errol said:

Once everyone has gone electric, petrol performance cars will start to shoot up in value even more.

Good shout, I already have an out of production classic, worth about 50k now, bought it for much less about 15 years ago. Definitely the most fun inflation hedge ever. My plan is eventually to move to a house with very large garage and grounds so I can have a small collection of such cars.

Edited by goldbug9999
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
Option5
1 hour ago, Errol said:

The Ferrari 458 Speciale, for example, will only ever go up in value as time goes on. Once electric is the norm, people will be amazed at the sound and dynamism created by cars like this. The Lamborghini Aventador is another example.

I'm prepared to bet that the super-wealthy (the sort who can afford vast warehouses and storage facilities) are already stacking these cars. 

I almost agree, the only downside with newish supercars is that some of the electric cars out accelerate them. The classics 246, 288 Ferraris and the Lamborghini Muria, Countach will always be more in demand. But given the rise in valuations recently there are very few buying opportunities around although Maclarens are dropping steadily.

Even my Delta, paid £5600 in 2006, latest valuation £80k (which is mental in my opinion).

The bubble has got to burst soon, and probably reinflate in 5 years time.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1