DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Puff pastry

It's flour, fat and water.

It's the lowest form of food there is other than gruel.

Greggs et al wrap it around the lowest grade form of meat - pink slime.

What do you guys expect?

When I'm sober and feeling sophisticated, then I want Beef Wellington  - puff pastry would be an interesting challenge to an otherwise gorgeous meal.

When I'm 9 pints down, that Greggs Sausage Roll is better than the best Beef Wellington provided by the Queen's personal chef!

Apart from the mess it creates it's much tastier IMO.  Steak pie with puff crust and lots of gravy wonderful stuff. 

Even going back to the 80''s and vol-au-vent good.  Probably a hassle to make but filo or puff is Good.  Shortcrust surely closer to the cardboard makeshift container that the miners would take for lunch ie Cornish pasties etc.

Things like quiche or pork pies, due to short crust it's meh to disgusting for me.

31 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Apart from the mess it creates it's much tastier IMO.  Steak pie with puff crust and lots of gravy wonderful stuff. 

Even going back to the 80''s and vol-au-vent good.  Probably a hassle to make but filo or puff is Good.  Shortcrust surely closer to the cardboard makeshift container that the miners would take for lunch ie Cornish pasties etc.

Things like quiche or pork pies, due to short crust it's meh to disgusting for me.

Pork pies are cold water pastry. Totally different to shortcrust.

6 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

I wouldn't like pork pie without tbh although it's a fine balance and would err on the side of more pork and less pie... And definitely less gelatine (but again wouldn't be the same without).

I despised pork pies when I was younger because I had obviously never had a decent one. It was only by chance I discovered a butcher that made good ones when I had a friend visit, at which point I developed the table manners of Homer Simpson.

Edited by MrLibertyRedux
Spellink
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Pork pies are cold water pastry. Totally different to shortcrust.

Cold water pastry - the only baking that's ever defeated me. I need to have another go. 

I can't believe people as dissing puff pastry, it's delicious. The mess is weird though, no matter how carefully I eat it I ended up covered in it. 

28 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I despised pork pies when I was younger because I had obviously never had a decent one. It was only by chance I discovered a butcher that made good ones when I had a friend visit, at which point I developed the table manners of Homer Simpson.

I loved them so much as a child that one day when the school bully pinched my lunchbox and it was a pork pie day I just saw red and bit him so hard on the arm that it bled.  He was quite shocked, as was I.  But I got the pork pie back and he didn't pick on me again, so pork pies still retain a special place in my heart.

1 hour ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I loved them so much as a child that one day when the school bully pinched my lunchbox and it was a pork pie day I just saw red and bit him so hard on the arm that it bled.  He was quite shocked, as was I.  But I got the pork pie back and he didn't pick on me again, so pork pies still retain a special place in my heart.

That's your inner animal instinct coming out.  Similar to iirc reading here before about the alpha wolf always taking the kidney (or liver not sure) from a fresh kill.  Doubt you would do that for a stick of carrot or veggie sausage... Both of which I'm happy to eat but probably not to die for. 

But maybe we should go vegan to get out this blood lust.  Saying that I've got into steak recently, no fancy butcher but Aldi ribeye really hot temperature searing the outside (maiiliard reaction).  Onions fried when resting, then dollops of Mr Coleman's English finest on the juicy red meat.  Next time may try gravy or jus from all the pan scrapings.... Yeah I'm going to hold off on vegan for a bit.

1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Cold water pastry - the only baking that's ever defeated me. I need to have another go. 

I can't believe people as dissing puff pastry, it's delicious. The mess is weird though, no matter how carefully I eat it I ended up covered in it. 

That is why I detest it. I also prefer shortcrust by a long margin. My wife used to make fantastic sausage rolls, apple pies etc and absolutely NO puff pastry ( I don't think that she even new how to make it)