DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Rowing the Atlantic

Just how many people are so desperately in need of a holiday they're choosing to row the Atlantic.

It was Frank from Oldham aged 70 last week. Now it's jasmine. 

Are there about 300 people on a big row rowing across? 

How much does it cost to row over. Do you have support vessels nearby?

27 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Just how many people are so desperately in need of a holiday they're choosing to row the Atlantic.

Most go east to west

The tough intrepid ones like Tom McClean, whom was the first of a few, row West to East.

1 minute ago, Rare Bear said:

What sort of visa do they require for landing in America? A rowboat isn't really a scheduled ship.

Normal tourist visa I guess.  They would just check in with the local immigration / port authority when they arrive.

No idea why you would do it.. I presume they sit in the trade winds and get pushed across by wind and current.  I’m surprised they don’t run out of food though. Must take a couple weeks to arrive.

4 hours ago, Rare Bear said:

What sort of visa do they require for landing in America? A rowboat isn't really a scheduled ship.

They seem to land in the Caribbean but, if it was the US, then you can go in on the visa waiver program so long as you do your ESTA. I did it once when a friend took me on his boat across Lake Ontario and we landed in Niagara. 

https://www.buffaloyachtclub.org/files/Border Crossing Basics.pdf

The Jasmine girl who just finished raised 10k for charity.

So is that £10k on top of the huge sum required to raise to enter? https://www.taliskerwhiskyatlanticchallenge.com/race-details/

The entry fees for the TALISKER Whisky Atlantic Challenge 2023 and onwards (including the initial registration fee of 1000 € per crew member)

Solo: €21,500 

Pairs: €22,500 

Trio’s: €23,500 

Fours: €24,500 

Fives: €25,500

5 hours ago, Libspero said:

Normal tourist visa I guess.  They would just check in with the local immigration / port authority when they arrive.

No idea why you would do it.. I presume they sit in the trade winds and get pushed across by wind and current.  I’m surprised they don’t run out of food though. Must take a couple weeks to arrive.

Would be a swine if you were refused entry and had to row yourself back.

7 hours ago, sarahbell said:

They ought to get together and row a Trireme between them all.

Image 1 - DUSEK-D004-GREEK-TRIREME-1-72-kit

Edited by DocH
2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

So is that £10k on top of the huge sum required to raise to enter? https://www.taliskerwhiskyatlanticchallenge.com/race-details/

The entry fees for the TALISKER Whisky Atlantic Challenge 2023 and onwards (including the initial registration fee of 1000 € per crew member)

The boats are £50k plus.

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Well ... bit more of an achievement than 'climbing'(walking up) Kilimanjaro....

Do they actually row? Or just let the current take you over?

Jasmine, from Thirsk - wooh NY!

TELEMMGLPICT000251562876_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Still has her fat reserve.

I'd like to row a body of water.  Have looked into the Atlantic, but probably won't be doing that.

These days, they don't let you leave harbour unless your vessel is deemed 'seaworthy'.  There's a long list.  Must be self-righting, water maker, gps, radio, watertight compartments, emergency position beeper, sattelite phone, life raft... yadda yadda, a big long list.   You'll need £50-£100K to buy and kit out a boat that meets requirements.
Takes all the challenge out of it.  It's basically an unsinkable tub that's too heavy to row fast.  If I had that kind of money, I'd do something else. 

The East-West route starts in the Canaries, and goes up to the Caribbean on the Trade winds.  West-East starts in New York, and finishes in England, Ireland, Scotland, or Norway if you're unlucky with the currents.  Either way, you depend on the trade wind and current for at least half your movement.  Speed record holders are the ones who got lucky with these.  Of course the, erm, 'luckier' you are, the less pleasurable a time you'll be having.

And with all the safety bollocks, there's no possibility of anything as epic as these guys. 
https://www.adventure-journal.com/2019/04/harbo-and-samuelson-rowed-across-the-atlantic-and-right-into-obscurity/

Edited by Bricks & Mortar

I've ceased to be impressed by this sort of thing.

In the olden days it was a life-risking activity, and you could only do it if you really were prepared to lose it all.

These days there are companies that offer a full support package, etc.  Sure, you've got to have a bit of a 'never give up' attitude, but that's by no means rare.  There's certainly llittle risk.

I recon that if you gave 100 20ish year olds the chance to do the crossing a fair few would make it to the end.

To be frank, I'd be more impressed if she'd taken the bus to <foreign wherever> and spent 70 days working as a cleaner (with little language, no phone, no friends already there and no credit card, etc)  -- if she had stamina she'd last the 70 days and have a pile of friends at the end, and she'd have learnt some really important life lessons.