DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Post brexit world

6 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I voted for this to happen.

Fucking mint that it finally is...

XYY

What benefit do you consider to be top of the list?

23 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Sovereignty.

Or as Remainers would have it: meh, sovereignty.

I have not noticed any recent improvement due to Sovereignty. If living in UK today is sovereignty then I don't like it. 

I was thinking more of actual benefits - more money, an easier personal life in some way, etc.

2 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I have not noticed any recent improvement due to Sovereignty. If living in UK today is sovereignty then I don't like it. 

I was thinking more of actual benefits - more money, an easier personal life in some way, etc.

No, nothing so sordid and transient as money.

The regaining of our nationhood and recapturing the ability to pass every one of our own laws as a nation transcends any petty percentage of GDP.

11 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

It's only an improvement if we take advantage of the opportunity. As EU members we had no ability to shape our own destiny. We have the chance now, but that doesn't mean we will necessarily do anything about it.

6 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

It's only an improvement if we take advantage of the opportunity. As EU members we had no ability to shape our own destiny. We have the chance now, but that doesn't mean we will necessarily do anything about it.

At least we have people that are directly accountable for their shitty actions (as opposed to Ursula "Vote for me"). 

18 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I think the expectation of large and sudden changes was set by people disillusioned that the vote didn’t go the way they had hoped.  

Certainly I have friends who have been hanging on every gloomy prediction for the past two years perpetually forecasting apocalypse.

It was always likely to be short term disruption followed by a gentle nudge of the tiller onto a similar but independent course from the EU,  slowly becoming more involved with the rest of the world and less focused on the EU and their protectionist trade policies.   

37 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Well, you'll be able to get THE vaccine quicker than sone in the EU.

4 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Some claim hitler underestimated the size of America compared to Germany because Germany had its own page in his school atlas

More likely because America grew in power very quickly.   When he was growing up the US was just an ex-British colony with a population of less than 100,000..  so comparable in significance to Germany.  They were also geographically a long way away.  Easy to see why he might have underestimated their ability to turn up late and claim all the glory ;)

4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

More likely because America grew in power very quickly.   When he was growing up the US was just an ex-British colony with a population of less than 100,000..  so comparable in significance to Germany.  They were also geographically a long way away.  Easy to see why he might have underestimated their ability to turn up late and claim all the glory ;)

He should have learnt that stunt after ww1

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

I'm not sure if you're interested in getting a vaccine or not. It is clear that the reason the UK is so far ahead of the EU and almost every other country in covid vaccinations is because the UK Government knew it would be crucified if it was behind. The risk of political death through failure spurred them on. EU countries, in contrast, are blaming the sclerotic bureaucrats in Brussels for their centralised failure. Without Brexit we would be in the same boat.

This is the advantage of scrutiny and of responsibility. We get to innovate our own way through problems. Getting it right is brilliant but if we get it wrong we can see who is doing better. Competition drives improvements. The EU is like a school where everyone gets a participation prize of mediocrity. If all the EU countries were doing their own vaccination programmes they would have vaccinated more people.

9 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

I'm not sure if you're interested in getting a vaccine or not. It is clear that the reason the UK is so far ahead of the EU and almost every other country in covid vaccinations is because the UK Government knew it would be crucified if it was behind. The risk of political death through failure spurred them on. EU countries, in contrast, are blaming the sclerotic bureaucrats in Brussels for their centralised failure. Without Brexit we would be in the same boat.

This is the advantage of scrutiny and of responsibility. We get to innovate our own way through problems. Getting it right is brilliant but if we get it wrong we can see who is doing better. Competition drives improvements. The EU is like a school where everyone gets a participation prize of mediocrity. If all the EU countries were doing their own vaccination programmes they would have vaccinated more people.

the EU have innovated that the UK should be the vaccine test bed