DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The joys of bulk buying

I'm into planting trees. For the last couple of years I've been experimenting with fertilser to see if it makes much difference to my trees.

I went to B&Q and they sell 10 fertilser tablets for £4. I went online and bought 1000 similar tablets for £40.... 40 pence a tablet or 4 pence if bought in bulk...

Big difference....

20210221_113040.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Great Guy @nirvana A bit OT, but if into planting trees you might be interested to research a bit about mycelial soil conditioning. Basically, from my very basic understanding, fungi are essenti

I've also bought enough double edge razor blades to last 5 years.... I use a blade for about three shaves... I shave about once a week at the moment and have hundreds of blades.... it's soooo much che

I wanted an unusual fuse for my car, an orange one which I think is 4w, which isn't stocked by Halfords or other motor stores so I had to buy it online - which is very much not what I do. I wante

Posted Images

I wanted an unusual fuse for my car, an orange one which I think is 4w, which isn't stocked by Halfords or other motor stores so I had to buy it online - which is very much not what I do.

I wanted several rather than one in case there was something in the circuit that was tripping and blowing the fuse; five cost little more than one owing to the postage being the main cost.

Then I realised thirty cost little more than five so went "what the hell" and bought thirty.

I had to restrain myself from buying three hundred.

It does highlight that the cost is the postage and the order fulfilment rather than the fuses which are just a strip of metal between two bits of plastic.  

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I wanted an unusual fuse for my car, an orange one which I think is 4w, which isn't stocked by Halfords or other motor stores so I had to buy it online - which is very much not what I do.

I wanted several rather than one in case there was something in the circuit that was tripping and blowing the fuse; five cost little more than one owing to the postage being the main cost.

Then I realised thirty cost little more than five so went "what the hell" and bought thirty.

It does highlight that the cost is the postage and the order fulfilment rather than the fuses which are just a strip of metal between two bits of plastic.  

This is always my dilemma.  I think "I've got the rest of my life to use up these sorts of things".  It's easier to justify with small stuff, the big stuff starts to impact on storage space and I move relatively frequently so don't like to have too much stuff that needs to be toted from house to house.

2 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

This is always my dilemma.  I think "I've got the rest of my life to use up these sorts of things".  It's easier to justify with small stuff, the big stuff starts to impact on storage space and I move relatively frequently so don't like to have too much stuff that needs to be toted from house to house.

I have a combined garage workshop with loads of storage so the temptation is to fill it by buying bulk so that I only have to buy once.

I usually resist but did put up some new shelving just in case.

I've also bought enough double edge razor blades to last 5 years.... I use a blade for about three shaves... I shave about once a week at the moment and have hundreds of blades.... it's soooo much cheaper buying blades by the hundred....

It's probably a slightly OCD thing for me. However I think the lesson from the virus is that you should have a stockpile of items you will use...

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

I'm into planting trees. For the last couple of years I've been experimenting with fertilser to see if it makes much difference to my trees

I like trees n bushes :).....so does the fertiliser make much difference? what flavours? what's your source? what different types of trees? any luck with banana trees or other exotic varieties?

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Scrap yard fill your boots or pockets

Those magic sponge things are a rip off in the shops.  Can buy eBay or China for a fraction.

Herbs and spices... Unless your going to use i guess it makes little sense but I think you can find far better quality, organic etc, if buying slightly more but hugely cheaper online rather than in supermarkets.

Don't have a bath often but keep thinking I should buy some Himalayan salt or magnesium in case I feel the urge - again somewhere like eBay you buy by the sackful for not a lot compared to the miniscule 1kg bag you see in the shops.

It's interesting seeing where shops make their mark-ups I'm all for it as they do need to make a profit etc, though personally enjoy trying to avoid being the mark

4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I'm into planting trees. For the last couple of years I've been experimenting with fertilser to see if it makes much difference to my trees.

I went to B&Q and they sell 10 fertilser tablets for £4. I went online and bought 1000 similar tablets for £40.... 40 pence a tablet or 4 pence if bought in bulk...

Big difference....

20210221_113040.jpg

That looks crunchy and tasty.

5 hours ago, nirvana said:

I like trees n bushes :).....so does the fertiliser make much difference? what flavours? what's your source? what different types of trees? any luck with banana trees or other exotic varieties?

I've got a fish tank and putting fertilser in makes a fair difference to growth rates. I did some soil tests where I planted the trees and the soil is low in Nitrogen and Phospates. I'd guess the soil has been stripped bare after a couple of centuries of grazing sheep :(

I mostly plant native broad leaves:)

5 hours ago, LC1 said:

@Great Guy @nirvana

A bit OT, but if into planting trees you might be interested to research a bit about mycelial soil conditioning. Basically, from my very basic understanding, fungi are essential to soil health and plant uptake of essential nutrients, especially micronutrients. Most modern farmed soils are bacterially dominated, due to turning the soil and adding synthetic fertilisers. This isn't how nature works (think of the forest floor ecosystem), and fungi are responsible for vast majority of natural decomposition and nutrient cycling. Taking steps to restore fungal dominance is good for long term plant and ecological health, as part of a permaculture philosophy. Fascinating subject, well worth investigating...

https://permacultureapprentice.com/food-forest-fungi/

I think the problem with where I plant is that there are sheep. Any plant growth is eaten by the sheep and it doesn't compost back :(

@Great Guy AFAIK the only scientifically proven fertiliser that works to provide vigour/growth is Rootgrow.

https://rootgrow.co.uk/

What trees have you planted out of interest? I've also planted many trees here at my garden, probably over 100 but I haven't counted. Most of them from whips that cost as low as 50p each.

Edit: as @LC1 says, it's all in the mycro-rhizomes. :Old:

4 hours ago, Dogtania said:

Herbs and spices... Unless your going to use i guess it makes little sense but I think you can find far better quality, organic etc, if buying slightly more but hugely cheaper online rather than in supermarkets.

I buy mine from my local Chinese supermarket. You get at least four times as much, often more than the budget supermarket stuff let alone the brand's and I'm convinced they are better quality.

I bought a bag of bayleaves last week for a couple of quid and I couldn't fit them into 2X 710g jars I had saved.

4 minutes ago, jm51 said:

I bought 20kg of Pink Himalayan Salt.

What’s the attraction with the pink Himalayan stuff?  Does it taste any different?

I always presumed it was a clever marketing ploy to sell otherwise impure/discoloured salt at a premium instead of a discount o.O

8 hours ago, LC1 said:

@Great Guy @nirvana

A bit OT, but if into planting trees you might be interested to research a bit about mycelial soil conditioning. Basically, from my very basic understanding, fungi are essential to soil health and plant uptake of essential nutrients, especially micronutrients. Most modern farmed soils are bacterially dominated, due to turning the soil and adding synthetic fertilisers. This isn't how nature works (think of the forest floor ecosystem), and fungi are responsible for vast majority of natural decomposition and nutrient cycling. Taking steps to restore fungal dominance is good for long term plant and ecological health, as part of a permaculture philosophy. Fascinating subject, well worth investigating...

https://permacultureapprentice.com/food-forest-fungi/

Yes, and you can buy mycorhyzal "spores" from garden centres to put around the roots when you plant trees, to help them to hook up with the local fungal web quicker.

3 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I buy mine from my local Chinese supermarket. You get at least four times as much, often more than the budget supermarket stuff let alone the brand's and I'm convinced they are better quality.

I bought a bag of bayleaves last week for a couple of quid and I couldn't fit them into 2X 710g jars I had saved.

I bought 2kg of Thai red chillies a couple of years back for about £7.

They freeze really well, but 2kg is one hell of a lot of chillies.

12 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Yeah I did think of that.  I know there meant to be a lot cheaper.  Even Sainsbury's -which will be overpriced- have an ethnic section with a few spices.  Was close to buying the cinnamon sticks as you get so much more for your money.

I need to go to a Chinese or Korean supermarket if such a thing exists.  Wanting to make kimchi so hopefully get more used to navigating such places.

Stuff like bay leaves and rosemary make me miss having a garden.