Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Bikes!


Recommended Posts

nirvana

Post your fave bikes! ones with motors or not......

motors you need to stick to less than 300cc cos anything bigger is daft nowadays :P actually up to 313cc cos that's what a BM GS 310 has got and they're dirt cheap in India

so I found this 'adventure bike' which is only 700 US bucks which is exactly 500 quid....how cheap!!!???

35_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.50706b27e5cbcb2816cdfaa3e5810be1.jpg

https://www.poseidonbike.com/collections/adventure-bike/products/pre-order-2021-poseidon-x-interstellar-blue

crazy rear derailleur - Microshift 11-48T Advent X 10 Speed

company is based in Los Angeles not far from the airport......then it's only 1600 miles to cycle to the beach in Texas ie Gulf of Mexico......posting that for @swiss_democracy_for_allcos he likes to know what I'm thinking about today :Jumping:

edit: bums I think I should have posted this in 'hobbies and spare time' lol

Edited by nirvana
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • nirvana

    44

  • 201p

    24

  • The Masked Tulip

    10

  • Chewing Grass

    10

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know much about bikes. I have an MTB made by Scott, I bought it mainly because I like the colours (black and lime green). It's quite old now. The cost of bikes nowadays is utterly ridicul

The motor lockring is the trickiest thing to tighten. I made a makeshift leverage arm from an old handlebar. It never comes off now. Try not to bang the motor on a log as that could make the lockring

I have given up looking. Stock is so rare and prices are crazy. If you read the blurb on the websites the manufacturers have small print saying that components are difficult to come by and hence you m

Posted Images

spunko

I don't know much about bikes. I have an MTB made by Scott, I bought it mainly because I like the colours (black and lime green). It's quite old now.

The cost of bikes nowadays is utterly ridiculous, another sign that people are receiving too generous tax benefits perhaps.

On Halfords website there are literally 50+ bikes that are priced at £3k or more.

  • Agree 4
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
MrPin
41 minutes ago, spunko said:

I don't know much about bikes. I have an MTB made by Scott, I bought it mainly because I like the colours (black and lime green). It's quite old now.

The cost of bikes nowadays is utterly ridiculous, another sign that people are receiving too generous tax benefits perhaps.

On Halfords website there are literally 50+ bikes that are priced at £3k or more.

Yes, serious money! My flatmate back in the late 80s had a £1200 bicycle. Serious money then, but he did use it. To work every day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Long time lurking
2 hours ago, spunko said:

On Halfords website there are literally 50+ bikes that are priced at £3k or more.

Look at the electric ones xD

They have broke the 10k barrier 

Link to post
Share on other sites
ccc
3 hours ago, spunko said:

I don't know much about bikes. I have an MTB made by Scott, I bought it mainly because I like the colours (black and lime green). It's quite old now.

The cost of bikes nowadays is utterly ridiculous, another sign that people are receiving too generous tax benefits perhaps.

On Halfords website there are literally 50+ bikes that are priced at £3k or more.

Yes there are some crazy prices ones but also lots for amazing value that will last you forever if looked after well.:Old:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Caravan Monster
5 hours ago, spunko said:

I don't know much about bikes. I have an MTB made by Scott, I bought it mainly because I like the colours (black and lime green). It's quite old now.

The cost of bikes nowadays is utterly ridiculous, another sign that people are receiving too generous tax benefits perhaps.

On Halfords website there are literally 50+ bikes that are priced at £3k or more.

Currently researching E-MTBs with intent to buy. I came across a website for a bikeshop in Spain which helpfully came with English translation and prices in GBP, which were slightly over half UK prices. Guessing bikes are like motors and the UK gets gouged on price compared with most of the world just because.

Link to post
Share on other sites
nirvana
14 hours ago, spunko said:

On Halfords website there are literally 50+ bikes that are priced at £3k or more

sure that's why I was surprised how cheap that Yankee bike is! Shame about the bloody import taxes, VAT etc

tax tax and more bloody tax nowadays :PissedOff:

9 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

I came across a website for a bikeshop in Spain

post the link! I'm not in UK so I might pick one up for cheap ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Caravan Monster
6 minutes ago, nirvana said:

sure that's why I was surprised how cheap that Yankee bike is! Shame about the bloody import taxes, VAT etc

tax tax and more bloody tax nowadays :PissedOff:

post the link! I'm not in UK so I might pick one up for cheap ;)

https://bringbikestore.com/home/187-trek-powerfly-fs-5-2019-electric-mountain-bike.html

That is the model I got to try out. The owner had recently bought it at a big discount in the UK, but still paid around a £1k more than that shop appears to be asking. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
nirvana

@Caravan Monstercool cheers, that's an older model so I'd just double check potential issues with a 'Bosch Performance CX' motor from that year......I've heard a few negatives things about Bosch warranty and them being a bastard to fix but yeah that's the sort of price I'd be interested in biting at too

I'm mainly a roadie I just fancy an off roader for a bike o fun......and yeah that Trek looks v.cool in the grey colour!

Link to post
Share on other sites
onlyme
14 hours ago, ccc said:

Yes there are some crazy prices ones but also lots for amazing value that will last you forever if looked after well.:Old:

Rule 1 seems be keep the pressure washer in the garage. Too many sensitive seals around the controller / battery / motor, plus all the connectors.

 

 

  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
stop_the_craziness

I got my time trial bike out of storage this week.  Haven't had the nerve to ride it for 4 years.  This year might be the year, or it might just be an ornament for the living room, time will tell.

It's been superseded by much younger and prettier models over the years and frankly, so have I, but we might still be able to enjoy ourselves in our twilight years this summer :D.  This picture isn't of my one, but it looks like this: 

 

 

Planet-X-Stealth-Pro-Carbon-TT-Frame-Size.jpg

  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Roger_Mellie

All I know is there are se genuinely mental bikers. 

Couple of weeks back I was out walking in the snow and ice and there were loads of bike tracks in the hills. All I could think is they must have had balls of titanium. 

  • Lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
TheBlueCat
7 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I got my time trial bike out of storage this week.  Haven't had the nerve to ride it for 4 years.  This year might be the year, or it might just be an ornament for the living room, time will tell.

It's been superseded by much younger and prettier models over the years and frankly, so have I, but we might still be able to enjoy ourselves in our twilight years this summer :D.  This picture isn't of my one, but it looks like this: 

 

 

Planet-X-Stealth-Pro-Carbon-TT-Frame-Size.jpg

That’s a nice looking bike. Do you have all the aero gear to go with it? I have this vague idea that I might buy all the kit and make a huge effort to break 1 hour for 25M before I hit 60 and it’s all downhill. Then again I probably won’t!

Link to post
Share on other sites
TheBlueCat
1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

All I know is there are se genuinely mental bikers. 

Couple of weeks back I was out walking in the snow and ice and there were loads of bike tracks in the hills. All I could think is they must have had balls of titanium. 

Or they were riding a fat bike:

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/02/local-man-on-fat-bike-enjoys-the-slower-than-walking-commute-to-work/

Link to post
Share on other sites
stop_the_craziness
15 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

That’s a nice looking bike. Do you have all the aero gear to go with it? I have this vague idea that I might buy all the kit and make a huge effort to break 1 hour for 25M before I hit 60 and it’s all downhill. Then again I probably won’t!

No, I never went that mental.  It was something that my ex talked me into and he bought absolutely everything that goes with it too, but I decided I would see if I actually liked riding the bloody thing before I went crazy on the accessories.  I do have an aero water bottle on it though, which is very snazzy in a tragic sort of way.

In the end neither of us did it that much and all his super-duper accessories never saw active service in a single time trial or even left the house! :D.  We trained on them over one spring and summer and I did ride a couple of 10-mile club time trials in the late summer of that year but I was so scared that I did them on my road bike because I didn't want to die.  Definitely no way I'd do 25-miles of all-out effort so no judgement here if your pipe dream never becomes a reality.  

Edited to add:  A thing of beauty from the UAE tour this week.  The man on top of it is none too shabby either!

ganna.jpg

Edited by stop_the_craziness
Link to post
Share on other sites
TheBlueCat
2 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

No, I never went that mental.  It was something that my ex talked me into and he bought absolutely everything that goes with it too, but I decided I would see if I actually liked riding the bloody thing before I went crazy on the accessories.  I do have an aero water bottle on it though, which is very snazzy in a tragic sort of way.

In the end neither of us did it that much and all his super-duper accessories never saw active service in a single time trial or even left the house! :D.  We trained on them over one spring and summer and I did ride a couple of 10-mile club time trials in the late summer of that year but I was so scared that I did them on my road bike because I didn't want to die.  Definitely no way I'd do 25-miles of all-out effort so no judgement here if your pipe dream never becomes a reality.  

Edited to add:  A thing of beauty from the UAE tour this week.  The man on top of it is none too shabby either!

ganna.jpg

I know what you mean about the fear of going all out on a TT bike - the ones I’ve test ridden definitely felt precarious. Riding track has helped though so maybe it wouldn’t be too much of an issue. Back in the 80s when I last did competitive TTs I did them on a steel frame bike and didn’t even wear a helmet!

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
MrPin
On 21/02/2021 at 13:19, nirvana said:

Post your fave bikes! ones with motors or not......

motors you need to stick to less than 300cc cos anything bigger is daft

I'm daft then.o.O

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
nirvana
Posted (edited)
On 01/03/2021 at 04:44, MrPin said:

I'm daft then.o.O

post your bike pinny!

I like this one...another yankee effort

state_bicycle_co_4130_all_road_gray_9v.thumb.jpg.9601014a892616b72da7104582a8391d.jpg

running this chinkie 1x11 groupset that is cheap 142$......think I'm a buyer lol...anyone got a decent frame for sale?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20000003823990.html

review

 

edit: grey one looks better....

I hear 'team sky cheating bastards' have been found out :wanker:

Edited by nirvana
Link to post
Share on other sites
dgul

I have a BMW bicycle.  I like it because it rides well (and I've adapted all the bits to work the way I like). 

I also like it because it makes my Mercedes jealous and because it was made in Massachusetts, not Bavaria.

Edited by dgul
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
201p

This looks wild - I don't have the body, build or flexibility to ride one properly.

s-l1600.jpg

  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Andersen
On 22/02/2021 at 21:32, Caravan Monster said:

Currently researching E-MTBs with intent to buy. I came across a website for a bikeshop in Spain which helpfully came with English translation and prices in GBP, which were slightly over half UK prices. Guessing bikes are like motors and the UK gets gouged on price compared with most of the world just because.

UK left the EU customs union Jan 1st, reguations for exporting *from* the UK were implemented immediately and are adding significant delays & costs. Regulations for importing *into* UK are due to go live in April (unless delayed again). If you're in the UK and thinking of buying any big ticket items from Europe best do it asap or be prepared for added costs and delays.

You can thank me later :Beer: 

  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
201p

This is one of my old bikes - I don't have it anymore.

496485530_kf(28)small.thumb.jpg.b05fb7134ad98eb0e6472657490cffc3.jpg

And this one I use in the woods 

small.jpg.31c0623ae77c7881f40bbe907dad4b62.jpg

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
201p

Maybe we can arrange the Dosbods bike ride.

You have to have a poo, shave your legs and wear lycra OK. 

---

I can't find a picture of the actual bike I had, but I had this Kona Koa - and repurposed the forks to the other bike. It was stolen in the end.

mAYwry4comiY6KgQlcpIx6KhKw8CFU99eEocprUg

Edited by 201p
  • Lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
201p

I don't own this one anymore, great bike - I gave it away, although part of me said to keep it.

10.jpg.be3f35515ac552591de3f9855a059266.jpg

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...