DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Bikes!

nirvana

what do you think of this? looks immaculate for it's age....was gonna put a bid in of 50€ and maybe stick a mid mount motor on it for a laugh and as a learning exercise...

8db26aa630334022b0ad993c5361c946c7c59abc.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nirvana

• 201p

• Chewing Grass

• The Masked Tulip

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know much about bikes. I have an MTB made by Scott, I bought it mainly because I like the colours (black and lime green). It's quite old now. The cost of bikes nowadays is utterly ridicul

I have given up looking. Stock is so rare and prices are crazy. If you read the blurb on the websites the manufacturers have small print saying that components are difficult to come by and hence you m

This looks wild - I don't have the body, build or flexibility to ride one properly.

Posted Images

The Masked Tulip
10 minutes ago, nirvana said:

I was looking at steel bikes cos of the 'flexibility' of steel but then I read they can 'harden' over time?

and that put me off a bit..... 

I pass steel bikes all the time that are 20 or 30 years old. I often stop and complement people on the frames. Most, who usually have got them second hand somewhere, look at me crazy. Probably think that I am coming on to them. But occasionally I will chat with someone for whom that steel frame is his pride and joy.

I got overtaken by a chap in his 70s a few weeks back. He had this beautiful steel frame racer. It was a pearlescent pinkish purple. Looked as if he had just walked out of a bike shop with it. He was chuffed when I complemented him on it. Gave him an opportunity to wax lyrical about how long he had it - 30 years - and how he had looked after it.

Edited by The Masked Tulip
typo
  • Cheers 2
Chewing Grass
2 minutes ago, nirvana said:

what do you think of this? looks immaculate for it's age....was gonna put a bid in of 50€ and maybe stick a mid mount motor on it for a laugh and as a learning exercise...

The only thing that needs is a proper saddle.

The Masked Tulip

It is a lovely looking bike. How much would it realistically go for? Putting a mid motor on it would depend upon the bracket size - at a glance it looks as it might be a tad too narrow. Would need a big cog on the rear. I am a fan of huge rear cogs. Too many steep hills in my part of the world.

nirvana
Just now, Chewing Grass said:

The only thing that needs is a proper saddle.

there might even be one hiding under the gel cover! Do you think that's a steel frame?

I'm off to bid lol

The Masked Tulip
1 minute ago, nirvana said:

there might even be one hiding under the gel cover! Do you think that's a steel frame?

I'm off to bid lol

No, it is aluminium. Those Decathlon Riversides look completely different these days.

• Cheers 1
nirvana
2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It is a lovely looking bike. How much would it realistically go for?

I think he only wants 70€ for it......but I like to negotiate lol

this is the motor I have my eye on, partly cos there is an open source version of firmware for it and I like to piss around with things too

https://www.pswpower.com/products/europe-or-china-stock-48v-500w-or-48v-750w-vlcd5-or-vlcd6-or-xh-18-lcd-tsdz2-electric-bicycle-mid-motor-with-torque-sensor-65

The Masked Tulip
1 minute ago, nirvana said:

this is the motor I have my eye on, partly cos there is an open source version of firmware for it and I like to piss around with things too

https://www.pswpower.com/products/europe-or-china-stock-48v-500w-or-48v-750w-vlcd5-or-vlcd6-or-xh-18-lcd-tsdz2-electric-bicycle-mid-motor-with-torque-sensor-65

I would give him the 70. It is a bargain at that. Get some good karma for yourself.

• Cheers 1
The Masked Tulip

Where are you? France?

You need the 500 watt motor with the Tongsheng and the Bafangs IMPO to give you the grunt to get up hills. The problem is that they are illegal. Interesting website that - ships the motors from a Germany warehouse. Alas, for the UK, I can see 20% being added to that price now.

nirvana
2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Get some good karma for yourself

there's plenty of karma in my garden....when I'm out in the 'big bad world' it's dog eat dog :o:Jumping:

The Masked Tulip

Unless it is John Denver I don't want to know :P

Or Toyah with the boobies.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
nirvana
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Where are you? France?

yeah, that motor was only 305$ last month......more inflation.......I fannied around and didn't pull the trigger when cable hit 1.40 too......and they had a bloody cheap battery too that suddenly shot up in price!

You snooze and you looze! 

nirvana
Posted (edited)

I bought it, it's mint! I've already had 50€ worth of laughs chugging up the hill, i seriously couldn't stop laughing cos it felt so different to my racing bikes......

it's a lot heavier than what I'm used to but it's remarkable low geared with 3 rings at the front and the seat is crazy comfortable! I even got a bike computer and the manual!

i feel an ebike conversion coming on....

edit: and those old fashioned brakes work a treat! I nearly fell off xD

IMG_20210408_160339 (copy 1).jpg

Edited by nirvana
  • Agree 2
nirvana
Posted (edited)

ok Rita is officially in the hareem! The drivetrain was caked in dried grease so I've cleaned a load of that off and she's running like a noob! With a nob riding her! xD

I'll take her up the cat 4 tomorrow :P

oh yeah and looks like she has a 73mm BB so she'll take that Tongshen TSDZ2 motor....ooh yeah :D

Edited by nirvana
  • Agree 1
201p

I think the Tongshen TSDZ2 is a torque sensor motor. The more down force or the pedals - i.e. effort you put in, the more the motor works.

I prefer the bafang mid drivers - they cost a more but they are cadence sensing. The faster you spin the pedals the more the motor works - so no input effort at all if you want. I've tried both, I prefer the bafang, but some other people prefer torque sensors. I believe all the Halfords Carrera Ebike are torque sensing.

Keep the battery in a metal box or out in the shed- I've seen a facebook post (UK Bafang (BBS01/BBS02/BBSHD etc) Ebikers) of a battery going up in smoke recently.

164965242_1296890134017708_7590379764329434150_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=C_xumLo211kAX-KWAY2&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-4.fna&tp=6&oh=2fe97877360accb8ec3cf29335a77c3e&oe=6096815E

• Cheers 1
nirvana
9 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

That froggie bike frame looks identical to this Ribble ebike frame

not the same, the Ribble has a wonky chain stay.....does like v.nice though!

I rode that froggie gravel around an empty Intersport earlier after chatting to a very helpful gorgeous tall blond young lady...

Couldn't really get a good feel for it.....handlebars felt quite chunky, GRX drivetrain seemed quite smooth......seemed ok for circa 11kg but 20x the cost of new member Rita O.o

nirvana
14 minutes ago, 201p said:

I think the Tongshen TSDZ2 is a torque sensor motor

yeah it is, I like the fact that some guys have developed opensource software but I think most of em are mountain bikers

Another guy is supposed to be developing an opensource version for the BBS02

I think the price of the Bafang has come down so  might be tempted by that...which display would you go for here?

https://www.pswpower.com/products/bafang-8fun-bbs02b-48v-750w-25a-mid-drive-motor-bicycle-electric-bike-ebike-e-bike-engine-conversion-kits-newest-version-94

nirvana

quote on the bafang

48V 750W Bafang Mid Drive Motor

Feature:

1.It's the newest version has two plugs for gear shift sensor and 6V light.

2. 25 amp upgraded IRFB3077 mosfets controller (up to 1300 watt with 52 volt battery

:Jumping:

And I like this guys build here, with the use of a bag for the battery

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110586

pic

DAVH1pW.jpg

201p

I have the LCD C961. But the closest one there looks like the C965. I am not sure about the colour displays, maybe they are OK in sunlight.

You may not have enough room to mount a display on the handle bars - so I use an extender. "handlebar extension" on ebay search term.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by 201p
  • Informative 1
201p

I intend on putting a bafang on the beater bike - so watch this space. I have a spare motor set up, that's how much I like these motors. 

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
nirvana
4 hours ago, 201p said:

Some progress to update

good stuff, I've put in a few stink bids on some older road bikes with nice frames but so far I'm being ignored :S

what size tyres are you using? I'm finding a crazy difference between 28c and this new 'old heavyweight' with 38c.......it's a really good workout on the road.....and am finding I can just ride through anything rather than having to avoid the odd road imperfection, which is quite nice

nirvana
Posted (edited)

I'm doing some research for my ebike

So this is homemade, looks better than a lot of factory bikes! I particularly like the battery integration

And he used some vruzend hex caps

And I've got a spare 12v car battery so I could try and make one of those DIY spot welders O.o 

I like the look of them 21700 cells too....look better than 18650s to me

This looks like a bit of a decent battery, methinks I need 14 in series to make 52v

Samsung SDI INR21700-50E 21700 5000 mAh (10A).....6.38€ each, hmmmmm not bad

20210317_172906.thumb.jpg.869e876c580839fb44ba123d6216f43f.jpg

20210317_172919.jpg

Vruzend_Hex_Caps-12.jpg

Edited by nirvana
Caravan Monster
54 minutes ago, nirvana said:

I'm doing some research for my ebike

So this is homemade, looks better than a lot of factory bikes! I particularly like the battery integration

And he used some vruzend hex caps

And I've got a spare 12v car battery so I could try and make one of those DIY spot welders O.o 

I like the look of them 21700 cells too....look better than 18650s to me

This looks like a bit of a decent battery, methinks I need 14 in series to make 52v

Samsung SDI INR21700-50E 21700 5000 mAh (10A).....6.38€ each, hmmmmm not bad

20210317_172906.thumb.jpg.869e876c580839fb44ba123d6216f43f.jpg

20210317_172919.jpg

Vruzend_Hex_Caps-12.jpg

That's very tidy for a DIY job, good effort. Those silicone socks on the forks and shock are bad news though, they were a thing in the off road motorbike world many  years ago and  trap moisture and grit, wrecking oil seals and fork chrome. I've got one  of these coming next few weeks. Bit of a leap into the unknown, but looking forward to it. Got some routes planned out to try it out on and losing weight like a demon at the minute so hoping it will be an incentive for cardio improvement too.

forme-lathkill-full-suspension-e-mountain-bike_57361.jpg

• Cheers 1