DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

People Carriers (MPVs)?

I must admit I thought them a bit ugly, because they are vans with seats. But are these still popular? Or where did they go? A chum had one, and I thought it rather good. It was a Toyota.

You don't really see many estate car wagons any more either. You usually had to pay a bit extra for a Volvo estate version.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@MrPin now this is much better than any mass produced 4x4 slave box on wheels.  

Long ago, before the apocalypse, when people in Wales could leave their homes and travel beyond the end of their road I used to shop at Safeways in Upton, near Chester. It became a Morrisons which wen

Sliding doors are a godsend.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I must admit I thought them a bit ugly, because they are vans with seats. But are these still popular? Or where did they go? A chum had one, and I thought it rather good. It was a Toyota.

You don't really see many estate car wagons any more either. You usually had to pay a bit extra for a Volvo estate version.

I think they may rot a lot.

Some lads on the street a friend lives on had one that had failed its MOT so they took an angle grinder to it and made it into a convertible for a laugh and drove around his village all afternoon taking the piss.

Best use I've ever seen for one if you don't have children.

1 minute ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I think they may rot a lot.

Some lads on the street a friend lives on had one that had failed its MOT so they took an angle grinder to it and made it into a convertible for a laugh and drove around his village all afternoon taking the piss.

Best use I've ever seen for one if you don't have children.

Didn’t Top Gear do that as well?

17 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Didn’t Top Gear do that as well?

Very possibly, maybe where they got the idea?

9 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Maybe? They seemed to be everywhere once, but so did sidecars.

It never ceases to amaze me after having one that there are any Lancias left on the road at all

We should really just have photographs.

My wife had a Kia Sedona that refused to die for years. Incredibly practical (if you need to cart around loads of kids).  Not sophisticated, but solid.  One of the neighbours drove his Toyota 4x4 into the side of it and the kids didn't even notice.  Finally retired it last year after 15 years.  Used it drive 6 of us to the Alps in comfort, but, also, with all the seats removed a cavernous tip car.  They no longer sell it in the UK, otherwise I would have bought another.  Replaced it with a Hyundai van/minibus thing which is much bigger on the outside, but not as useful on the inside.  I don't see it lasting as long.

I once went for a test drive in the top spec Ford Galaxy. I quite liked it. Big and roomy and bright.

Big cars are a fucking pain in the arse though. Even though they just about squeeze into a parking space, you can’t open the doors once you’re in there.

41 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Very possibly, maybe where they got the idea?

It never ceases to amaze me after having one that there are any Lancias left on the road at all

We should really just have photographs.

My dad had a Lancia Beta back in the day and the engine literally fell out of the bottom of it when he was driving down the A19. You could say it left itself on the road. 

27 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Absolutely.

Yuk, I suppose so. 

I’ve been known to be a bit of a cunt on car parks even if I’m a passenger if I’m siting there a u dink my door if I’m in the car yours is going to get it back harder . The fact you might have done it by accident and because your 30 stone is irrelevant .the cuntiest stunt I’ve probably done is when some cunt let a full trolly run into the back of my car and casually started to open there boot next to mine I got out and launched it down the car park to be fair they never said nothing they knew they were out of order 

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yes, they are very practical, but they are really vans with seats. They won't handle that well, and I believe some had poor safety.

Fifth Gear pitched 'my' Espace IV against a Land Rover Discovery.   My car won.

If I have to have a head-on collision, I will wait until I see a Discovery.

It handles quite nicely, as a lot of upper weight is saved by use of aluminium and plastic wings. They are not intended to be thrown around on mountain roads. Horses for courses, a they say. But it isn't a horse.

Edited by Happy Renting

We had the Citroen Synergy/Peugeot 806/Fiat Ulysse variety with the 2.0 petrol, again van based floorpan, drive well handled ok, reasonable go, drank petrol like a lush in a pub and shredded front tyres like carpet burned buttocks.

I actually liked it, used it a couple of times with all the heavy rear seats removed and it was a vehicle transformed, like a woman who has shed 5 stone, it thought it was sexy again.

We had a Picasso for years, wife loved it, I hated it until it was time to take something to the tip.

Undoubtedly the worst built car I've ever owned, it all eventually just fell to bits inside. 

Estates fell out of favour vs. SUV because people prefer the elevated driving position and bulk. Last time we bought a car I was seriously looking at an estate, but there's no value compared to a run of the mill SUV and went with a Sportage in the end. Won't get the Pin seal of approval, and it's boring as fuck, but it works for me. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie
34 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yes, they are very practical, but they are really vans with seats. They won't handle that well, and I believe some had poor safety.

My problem with MPVs is that they mostly aren't vans with seats. I'd love to find a short small van like car where a rear seat row can be taken out completely, and a (mountain) bike can be stored without taking it apart. 

Choice seems to be quite limited