• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Masked Tulip

M1 Lorry Minibus crash

I have been reading about this horrendous crash on the M1 involving 2 lorries and a mini-bus. Numerous people dead in the mini-bus and several fighting for their lives.

The minibus appears to have been fllatterned.

How did that happen?

When I first heard the story I assumed that one of the lorries had toppled over on its side and crushed the minibus. But the lorries appear to have stayed on their wheels.

So how on earth did the minibus get completely flattened?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4825350/Several-dead-crash-M1.html

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I have been reading about this horrendous crash on the M1 involving 2 lorries and a mini-bus. Numerous people dead in the mini-bus and several fighting for their lives.

The minibus appears to have been fllatterned.

How did that happen?

When I first heard the story I assumed that one of the lorries had toppled over on its side and crushed the minibus. But the lorries appear to have stayed on their wheels.

So how on earth did the minibus get completely flattened?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4825350/Several-dead-crash-M1.html

Im not sure. Horrid.

Pretty sure one of thd drivers will be EE.

Never met a brit driver whod risk DUI these days.

Minibus sitting in middle lane.

One HGV passed it in lane 3 and cut it up returning to lane 1.

It hit the HGV causing it to jackknife and the second HGV hit it sandwiching it between the two.

Just a guess.

About 20 years ago I came upon the scene of an accident just as the cops were arriving. At first I thought it was just a lorry but then I realised there was a car underneath the cab, squashed flat.

The artic driver had failed to connect the brake hoses to his trailer, and couldn't stop when he came down a hill behind the car which had stopped at a roundabout.

I guess in that case the tapered rear of the car made it posssible for the cab to ride up over it.

The young American couple in the car apparently died of suffocation. Dreadful

21 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

About 20 years ago I came upon the scene of an accident just as the cops were arriving. At first I thought it was just a lorry but then I realised there was a car underneath the cab, squashed flat.

The artic driver had failed to connect the brake hoses to his trailer, and couldn't stop when he came down a hill behind the car which had stopped at a roundabout.

I guess in that case the tapered rear of the car made it posssible for the cab to ride up over it.

The young American couple in the car apparently died of suffocation. Dreadful

Have to confess I once drove one for about 100 miles without the yellow suzie (service brake line) - he would have had to connect the red suzie or the trailer won't move. Just hadn't realised, I think I got interrupted with a phone call in the midst of coupling up. If you're on the motorway and main roads and don't need any heavy braking it wasn't really that noticeable. I spotted it still laid on the catwalk whilst I was stopped at the services.

These days the trailer brakes are actually triggered by an electrical rather than air signal but that actually brings its own safety issues.

Edited by SNACR

29 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Im not sure. Horrid.

Never met a brit driver whod risk DUI these days.

I'm sorry to have to break it to you but we have had plenty of Brit born and bred drivers who drink and drive or attempt to.

28 minutes ago, spygirl said:

20 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

One from Worcester and one from Stoke on Trent apparently.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Always say that, covering up name.

Stoke one is likely EE.

Probably got an Arts degree as well, certainly on benefits and maybe related to Gordon Brown.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

I'm sorry to have to break it to you but we have had plenty of Brit born and bred drivers who drink and drive or attempt to.

Not lorry/paid drivers.

The random tests are so strict its unlikely youll get one risking it.

A HGV driver just of the boat is a different thing.

All the dead and injured were a group Indian IT workers from nottingham travelling to wembley.

The minibus driver is also indian (and dead) it was his own company, he ate a late meal with friends on fri night and slept at a friends house from 10pm till 1am because he had a really early pick up in nottingham.

Burning the candle at both ends running a self employed minibus business? Fell asleep? (Dark 4am)

EE drunken HGV truck killers again? 

One of those events where a series of factors all coverge at one point?

Late night driving, drunk foreign trucker, burnt out indian minibus driver etc etc 

Edited by WorkingPoor

31 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Not lorry/paid drivers.

The random tests are so strict its unlikely youll get one risking it.

A HGV driver just of the boat is a different thing.

Yes, paid lorry drivers. All large fleets rely on agencies to some extent and a very mixed bag both indigenous and immigrant.

9 hours ago, SNACR said:

Yes, paid lorry drivers. All large fleets rely on agencies to some extent and a very mixed bag both indigenous and immigrant.

I pu a complaint in about a shocking piece of driving from a firm's 7.5t truck, it was at odds with the seemingly decent condition of the new signwritten vehicle, the operations bod got back to me to say that it was an agency guy at the wheel and it was taken up with the agency. Must be frustrating to have the company brand and vehicle screwed by these types.

Edited by cheeznham

5 hours ago, SNACR said:

Mutter from the gutter is the Evesham truck might have missed the exit and been reversing in a live lane which is a bit of an EE favourite I have to admit.

Judging by the where the crash site is just after the exit slip that could be the case. I wondered why both lorry drivers were arrested and charged, if one was over the limit it's a normally an open and shut case.

Both HGV drivers charged according to Sky.

Looking at the names one appears to be EE and one British. The one with the EE name has been charged with both dangerous and drink driving and has been remanded  in custody. The other has been bailed.

Edited by Flirtygirty

Id like to apologise for being wrong - the drunk EE driver was from Worcs not Stoke.

I was right on everything else.

Id guess the Brit was working for Fedex.

The EE will be working for the dodgy asian run logistics company.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Wonder why both drivers have been charged. Would have thought that the blame would be placed on the drunk driver 

Not quiet. They arrest all parties then work thru it.

The brit was bailed, the Pole was not.