DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Doing the bare minimum

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a young man I liked going to work. I had a laugh with the people I worked with, and we'd often go to the pub lunchtime and after work. Lads in the office would mess about and have a laugh. I rememb

Taking @Hancock's post from the Heavy Industry thread as a leaping off point there seems to be a big sea change in this country where aspiration is falling off a cliff. This isn't restricted to o

I've felt like the Government have been on my back relentlessly for the last 20 years at least. They've been relentlessly pushing down my wages in nominal terms via the massive use of cheap labour whi

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I also think it is worth bearing in mind that it isn't just the numbers that don't add up.

The expectations in some professional fields now are separated from reality to such a degree, it isn't a case of is the hassle of that promotion worth the extra 10 or 20k, but if the years of time money and hard work was bothering with at all.

I've experienced it myself, but heard civil and aerospace engineers at the top of their game be spoken to as if they were there to fix the boiler.

I thought we were doomed when they did that poll back in the noughties, when asked what they wanted to do when they grew up, 7 out of ten primary school children said "property developer".

That is what our children now aspire to.

Most, if not all, of the job adverts I now see, ask for such a diverse set of skills (in return for a low salary/junior position) that it is clear to anyone with a brain that the person writing the advertisement can't have a grasp of any of them nor realise that their ideal candidate can't exist. They really are seeking to employ the chief cook and bottle washer.

One of the Universities I was 'at', the VC announced proudly, to the assembled guests at an awards ceremony, that, 78% of their graduates aspired to work in the civil service. (I feel that I must say I only set foot on that campus 3 times a year xD.)

Edited by Hopeful
13 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I also think it is worth bearing in mind that it isn't just the numbers that don't add up.

The expectations in some professional fields now are separated from reality to such a degree, it isn't a case of is the hassle of that promotion worth the extra 10 or 20k, but if the years of time money and hard work was bothering with at all.

I've experienced it myself, but heard civil and aerospace engineers at the top of their game be spoken to as if they were there to fix the boiler.

I thought we were doomed when they did that poll back in the noughties, when asked what they wanted to do when they grew up, 7 out of ten primary school children said "property developer".

Well I wanted to be a pirate I did quite well with the drinking bit

18 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Amen.

With skills not appreciated and working environments constructed to demoralise employees it is hardly surprising that most people simply can not be arsed. 

4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

All valid points Frank.

But as has already been pointed out there is the combo of endless demand of many jobs with little or no rewards for hard work that eventually ruins ones goodwill.

In the last 3 working days I’ve had to say ‘no’ to three different managers on three occasions for three bits of work that I was being asked to deliver over the next month in addition to an already hefty workload compared to my peers in the coming month (that my manager Is aware of). 

My reward for this is getting no pay rise this year - ie a pay cut. In this year the average house cost has risen by more money than I could have saved, even living like a monk, and I’ve been in solitary confinement for most of it on government orders....

...so how could I not have anything but contempt for both my employer and my government? They clearly don’t give a fuck about me. Where’s my reward? My reward is getting poorer year on year. 

So I’ll opt to get poorer shooting for a 15 hour work week rather than 50.

It's ironic when becoming poorer becomes the one thing we have control over

Of course, free time can bring riches if you know how to enjoy it without needing much money

Edited by Hopeful
4 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

As a young man I liked going to work. I had a laugh with the people I worked with, and we'd often go to the pub lunchtime and after work. Lads in the office would mess about and have a laugh. I remember one guy getting into his bosses email and sending an email to a bird in HR asking her out. Imagine what would happen if you did that today?

Now nobody is allowed to go to the pub lunchtime. Nobody is supposed to take the piss out of anyone, and I'm having to do online courses where I have to fill in "unconscious bias" indoctrination questionnaires where the "right" answer is that I'm a racist.

Something's changed. And I don't like it. So I'll be stopping work as soon as I can and doing something else instead.

Yes to all of this. Makes me feel happy to be out of it!

26 minutes ago, Libspero said:

This is my biggest hobby horse at the moment.

We are in the process of building the housing infrastructure that our children/offspring will be living in for the next couple of centuries to come.

And we are utterly screwing it up.  We  are building millions of small, cheaply built houses on cramped housing estates with no gardens and little parking.  And these are going up everywhere.     They are “fine”,   but not really aspirational.  The government should mandate a minimum number of four/five bedroom houses with decent garden and drive space for two cars and a camper van.. just like they do a minimum number of pokey two bed “affordable” flats.

There isn’t any reason not to..   the biggest cost is land,  and land prices are dictated by planning/local councils.

We are deliberately building poor quality housing stock, just because it’s cheap and easy.   Why don’t we make proper villages again with houses people actually want to live in?  

There’s a future UK that would tempt me to stay.

Do you think the new Taylor Wimpey/Persimmon/Bloor housing infrastructure will last that long ?

Won't the public will interest in it and it end up just like high-rise sink estates or the rows of houses being demolished in northern cities.

Aren't people buying them now simply because i) there is no alternative, ii) the houses are new and shiny, and iii) they have never been a home owner before and don't know what they need to enjoy life? I can't see them maintaining their high initial new-build price without financial props - oh, the hole in my arguments

Edited by Hopeful