DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Doing the bare minimum

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

I'm shocked they haven't done this in NI yet.

Our council tax is called 'rates' and is based on the 'rateable value' which was worked out in about 2006 IIRC.

So there's people buying houses for 300K that have a RV of 180K or less.

Some easy pickings there for the government. Since everyone seems to be so pro-HPI they won't mind paying an increased tax bill in line with their HPI gains?

EDIT: I've just realized most people I know pay more than 0.5% of the value in rates anyway...but the point still stands that I'm surprised they've not upped the rates bill in line with HPI gains.

"Rateable value" never necessarily bore any relationship to market value.

My water bill is still based on some ancient RV, I suspect that the annual bill is now higher than the old RV xD

Value-tax would need a strong link between assessed taxable value and true value. If a house is assessed at 250k and the owner (perhaps having paid on an inflated valuation for years, or forced into selling because of the tax) tries to sell it and only gets offered 200k, then there needs to be a mechanism to correct/compensate for that.

I've thought for years that the best way to achieve this, would be to make the state's valuation agency a buyer of last resort at the price they themselves had assessed. It's so easy for a bureaucrat to write down a convenient (profitable!) number when he has no skin in the game...

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a young man I liked going to work. I had a laugh with the people I worked with, and we'd often go to the pub lunchtime and after work. Lads in the office would mess about and have a laugh. I rememb

Taking @Hancock's post from the Heavy Industry thread as a leaping off point there seems to be a big sea change in this country where aspiration is falling off a cliff. This isn't restricted to o

I've felt like the Government have been on my back relentlessly for the last 20 years at least. They've been relentlessly pushing down my wages in nominal terms via the massive use of cheap labour whi

Posted Images

13 hours ago, wherebee said:

Just to cheer you up about how fucking overpriced the UK is:

https://www.redfin.com/NY/Rochester/14-Autumn-Wood-14624/home/72505211

for sale near a mate of mine.  Under 450k GBP for something amazing.

Nice looking place. Just the $12k equivalent of council tax to pay. 

4 hours ago, wherebee said:

so you live in it for 40 years.  that's a whole 28,000 pounds extra.  whoooo!  probably less than your council tax.

let's call it under half a million pounds including 40 years property tax then.

still shows how insane housing in the UK is.

Per month. That's an extra £336k over 40 years. 

Yep, when all the main economies are playing the same debt based game there is no greener grass there without the price tag.

Only by downsizing on lifestyle to be happy with less objects of non-sentimental value can one remove the bulk of the excessive cost of living that drives people to do a Christopher Foster, killed by debt.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/nov/22/christopher-foster-news-crime

He was doing an extreme version of what an awful lot of people were doing back then: living on credit, believing the boom would never bust.

Not sure 'back then' is accurate unless people have taken the downtime of covid to pay down their personal debts and change lifestyle to a more manageable level. Perhaps the most positive thing to come out of the last year if it has helped people re-evaluate what is truly important to them and helped them break the bad habits of consumerism.

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've posited on here that it be reformed from the current capped bands to a half percent value tax, calculated by me as bringing in approximately the same amount as council tax, and was delighted to see that a think tank posted near as damnit the same recommendation.

Think-tank proposes radical council tax replacement

By:
10 Oct 18

An annual levy based on the up-to-date value of a property should replace council tax and stamp duty, a think-tank has urged.

The tax would raise an additional £1.6bn more per year across Great Britain compared to the current system, the IPPR said, in a paper released yesterday.

If a property tax of 0.5% on the actual present-day value of a home was levied it would also help even out wealth distribution across the country, the think-tank suggested.

Council tax in England is currently paid according to bands and using 1991 property values.

The IPPR said its tax proposal would “be far more progressive than council tax and would effectively capture increases in house price in a way in which the current system does not”.

It added: “The new tax we propose would therefore act as both a property tax and a tax on consumption”.  

Over time the 0.5% percentage charged on a property would be increased, the think-tank suggested, which would allow the reduction of stamp duty land tax, which would eventually be phased out altogether.

https://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/2018/10/think-tank-proposes-radical-council-tax-replacement

So people in the south who already struggle to pay mortgages on overpriced slave boxes would have to pay extra. Great idea. Not.

I propose council tax should be based on how much you weigh. Pay per kg. On the basis that fat people do fat shits and produce more garbage as they eat more food.

It would be an incentive to slim their fat arses down too.

6 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

So people in the south who already struggle to pay mortgages on overpriced slave boxes would have to pay extra. Great idea. Not.

I propose council tax should be based on how much you weigh. Pay per kg. On the basis that fat people do fat shits and produce more garbage as they eat more food.

Having a tax proportionate to value would bring down excessive prices and so be of general benefit.

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Very little of the tax is funding the bin collection though.

I don't know about France but here I additionally benefit from road maintenance and gritting (except trunk roads which are national), a library, sports centre, my verges cut and pavements repaired.

As community benefits there are adult social care, education, a police force, environmental health.

There is also, something which I think is a very valuable role of a council, new initiatives which make no money so wouldn't happen otherwise: cycle paths, youth centres, playing grounds, new museums and other centres.

A half percent property tax to fund that is money well spent IMO.  Despite the frequent moans it is no longer a cushy life at the council; albeit it was up to about maybe 2000. 

As I remember for each £1000 to the council only £100 is spent on waste management. The vast majority of it gets spunked on education and social care. My solutions are:

1. Use technology for education instead of the incredibly wasteful mass duplication that is 20th century education. Have one national Maths teacher, preferably some interesting professor, and have them do 100 or 200 half hour Maths classes which can be streamed to every child over zoom, applegawp, whatever. Then computerise Maths tests. Then have randomised in-person testing to check the kids aren't getting their parents to do them.

2. Social care - Use home equity to fund this. If people don't have any then they can die at home like the majority of people across the world.

Just saved the exchequer a few hundred billion a year there.

1 hour ago, Dave Bloke said:

Few people have mortgages. So it’s all good. 

19 hours ago, stokiescum said:

I think I have worked out how to maximise income whilst doing 12 hours a week .the paper does show my precent income forget the bullshit expenditure that was done for social services In fact my income is about 150 a month above that has lots of my money is weekly so some months like March I get 5 Mondays in .anyway I’m allowed to earn 120 a week has a carer so let’s use that has a benchmark .so that’s 480 a month added on top totally tax free and fully legal .so 2150 on paper 4 weekly I really get just under 2300 a month .add if I do 1 shift a week on that’s 480 tax free that’s just shy of 2800 a month for working 4 days a month no tax totally legal .I’ve even checked if it would fuck my universal credits up and it won’t .in case your think bollarx is the proof on the universal credits web site .it’s utter madness and totally legal .ps I don’t get housing surport 

FA6D4C3A-01A2-4D29-8E6F-61392166CF90.jpeg

FC1A5C8F-DB26-464B-A8EB-7DFDFC99A3C3.png

I reckon you could make a couple of savings there stokie. Should be able to get internet in with the sky payment and gas and leccy available for about 75 a month on a 1 year fix.

You are doing pretty well by the looks of it.

16 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I reckon you could make a couple of savings there stokie. Should be able to get internet in with the sky payment and gas and leccy available for about 75 a month on a 1 year fix.

You are doing pretty well by the looks of it.

I’m not paying for it my real petrol is about 40 and my gas and electric bill will be down to 70 by April.

Edited by stokiescum

Looks like we're in for a boom in small businesses and self-employed going their own way and turning their back on 'a career'. An ideal way to do the bare minimum from a hobby based business.

Teen entrepreneurs: 'My friend's pug inspired my business'

Lots of ways to be creative and make enough money to stay off the traditional job tax ladder. xD

On 27/02/2021 at 10:40, Frank Hovis said:

I've posited on here that it be reformed from the current capped bands to a half percent value tax, calculated by me as bringing in approximately the same amount as council tax, and was delighted to see that a think tank posted near as damnit the same recommendation.

Think-tank proposes radical council tax replacement

By:
10 Oct 18

An annual levy based on the up-to-date value of a property should replace council tax and stamp duty, a think-tank has urged.

The tax would raise an additional £1.6bn more per year across Great Britain compared to the current system, the IPPR said, in a paper released yesterday.

If a property tax of 0.5% on the actual present-day value of a home was levied it would also help even out wealth distribution across the country, the think-tank suggested.

Council tax in England is currently paid according to bands and using 1991 property values.

The IPPR said its tax proposal would “be far more progressive than council tax and would effectively capture increases in house price in a way in which the current system does not”.

It added: “The new tax we propose would therefore act as both a property tax and a tax on consumption”.  

Over time the 0.5% percentage charged on a property would be increased, the think-tank suggested, which would allow the reduction of stamp duty land tax, which would eventually be phased out altogether.

https://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/2018/10/think-tank-proposes-radical-council-tax-replacement

You can't get milk from a stone. Or blood or honey.

Squeeze something that is liquid.

Seriously these people are crackers.

The guy on countryfile has 50 acres of extended superior land management supported by the government. 

How much does that earn him?

On 27/02/2021 at 12:54, Lightly Toasted said:

I've thought for years that the best way to achieve this, would be to make the state's valuation agency a buyer of last resort at the price they themselves had assessed. It's so easy for a bureaucrat to write down a convenient (profitable!) number when he has no skin in the game...

IIRC  They do this in Venice. Property sales taxes are high, so the price is often undeclared, with some added cash under the table.

When the sale is registered, the authority has the option to purchase the property for the declared sales value.

1 hour ago, BoSon said:

Looks like we're in for a boom in small businesses and self-employed going their own way and turning their back on 'a career'. An ideal way to do the bare minimum from a hobby based business.

Teen entrepreneurs: 'My friend's pug inspired my business'

Lots of ways to be creative and make enough money to stay off the traditional job tax ladder. xD

Copying her parent.....

_117291379_mask.png

Putting stiches in a disposable mask .... watch out Bill Gates!

I should add - another of the BBCs bzzzyness series, concerting on insane wimmin doing stuff that costs money ...

8 hours ago, spygirl said:

Copying her parent.....

_117291379_mask.png

Putting stiches in a disposable mask .... watch out Bill Gates!

I should add - another of the BBCs bzzzyness series, concerting on insane wimmin doing stuff that costs money ...

These 'platforms' like to get some nice free PR by giving a chosen few some support/promotion to give them a boost for these feel-good stories, and wheel them out. A real journalist would ask Etsy what % of sellers make more than say £50 a week for example (fuck all), but of course we cant expect that. 

Feels like this is the female equivalent of bitcoin/Forex/stocks trading that gullible young males get drawn to.