• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Bossybabe

Hard to imagine lower IQs

The Times is reporting a Lancet article citing research at Surrey University. Apparently, the fashion for soy, almond, rice and hazelnut milk replacements is putting women at risk of having babies with low IQs. 

Does that mean plants have lower IQs than cows? O.o

Edited by Bossybabe

I can't see the logic in that. Maybe I eat too much rice? Sounds like a Japanese style diet?

An unstimulated child may not develop properly. There, I have spoken. You are not born with an IQ. Those oriental kids can be accomplished musicians.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I can't see the logic in that. Maybe I eat too much rice? Sounds like a Japanese style diet?

An unstimulated child may not develop properly. There, I have spoken. You are not born with an IQ. Those oriental kids can be accomplished musicians.

Apologies for the pettiness Mr Pin but you are born with an IQ which is 100.  Being your developmental ability age over your actual age.  At birth you are doing exactly what you're meant to.

5 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Anyone that thinks almond or soy milk tastes better than a proper full fat cows' milk is, by definition, of low IQ.

Which means their kids will be vegetables. 

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's labour the availability of iodine for forming thyroid hormones in the developing brain of breastfed infants. 

I don't eat rice any more; too much cyanide in it. I make cauliflower rice instead. 

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Apologies for the pettiness Mr Pin but you are born with an IQ which is 100.  Being your developmental ability age over your actual age.  At birth you are doing exactly what you're meant to.

I think your are born at age=0 Frank, and that would lead to a Divide by Zero exception. I am a pedant aren't I?

2 minutes ago, Flirtygirty said:

Who paid for the research ?

Scientists show a surprising ability to come up with results from research that suit the people funding it.

It doesn't say, but it follows on from an earlier study on the effect of iodine deficiency in pregnancy affecting the unbor baby's future IQ. Bet it was the Milk Marketing Board that funded it - if that exists nowadays. :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I think your are born at age=0 Frank, and that would lead to a Divide by Zero exception. I am a pedant aren't I?

😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Bossybabe said:

It doesn't say, but it follows on from an earlier study on the effect of iodine deficiency in pregnancy affecting the unbor baby's future IQ. Bet it was the Milk Marketing Board that funded it - if that exists nowadays. :ph34r:

😂😂😂

I had a lot of iodine in my milk as a kid.

Sadly, a lot of it was isotope 131 of the element  produced by  radioactive fall out from above ground H bomb tests 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine-131#Medical_use

8 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

😂😂😂

I thought that they added iodine to salt.

Have they stopped that, or is the propaganda on cutting salt levels having unintended consequence?

I'm sure Frank can work a spreadsheet, much to the HMRC's dismay.:CryBaby:

Sure I'm not a biologist, but in ancient times sea salt was valuable, because it contained iodine, and people knew it was good for you without government pamphlets telling them. Salt was so valuable it was kept in salt cellars made of precious metals, by the wealthy, as status symbols. It was better to live near the sea, as then you could fish.

6 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Have they stopped that, or is the propaganda on cutting salt levels having unintended consequence?

That's an interesting question. You know you are salt deficient, when salty things taste really good.O.o

I've duckduckgo'd it, and it doesn't look like we add it to salt in this country, but there is a bit in sea salt, and it's in milk in reasonable enough quantities.

I have close to two pints of milk a day, so it's not something that I'm going to be deficient in, but adding it to table salt seems such an easy win as a public health initiative I can't believe we don't do it.

The problem with this type of research is that one of the benchmarks being used is IQ, something that is at best only a partial measure of intelligence.

I have not read the study but I would expect the correlation between milk consumption and birth weight might also exist and that is also supposed to be a big influence on future child development. 

Parents who avoid dairy products are also likely to be vegetarians and their diet may not contain sufficient protein and minerals to support child development. Usually the medical advice is for pregnant women and their children to take supplements. I doubt the problem is soya milk alone which is actually pretty high in protein. It is probably more faddy or poor diets generally.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Brought to you by the Jimmy Saville appreciation society....

1 hour ago, Flirtygirty said:

Who paid for the research ?

Scientists show a surprising ability to come up with results from research that are convenient for the people funding it.

I think Al Gore's bank manager may disagree...

2 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

On a serious note, lack of iodine in SE Asian (Thailand and Cambodia in particular) is the well documented cause of low IQ.

Don't you have the sea nearby?

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Don't you have the sea nearby?

Yes, in parts, but the Isaan and Chang Mai regions of Thailand (50% of population), plus 80% of Khmers live well away from the sea.

1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

Traditionally Iodine was added to table salt as Sodium Iodide, but a lot of salt these days has fluoride added instead, which altough having the dubious advantage of promoting dental health, is a poison.

Traditional sea salt contains iodine and is the one to go for, not only does the iodine have the benefits described up thread, there is considerable evidence that iodine has cancer preventing benefits as it assists the body with the destruction of cells with damaged DNA.

2 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

The Times is reporting a Lancet article citing research at Surrey University. Apparently, the fashion for soy, almond, rice and hazelnut milk replacements is putting women at risk of having babies with low IQs. 

Does that mean plants have lower IQs than cows? O.o

Not sure how they can come to these stats.

Largescale western drinking of Soy milk and the like is only recent - last 10- years.

The only pople who've been eating soy/tofu for years re the Japs + chinese. Neither hardly nations of dummies.