Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

  • 0

Home Printers - cheapest / inkless options


wherebee

Question

wherebee

I have a HP printer for my office, but find that the cartridges run out pretty fast with some client work; any recommendations for home printers - black only would be fine - where you aren't over a barrel for ink replacements?  I remember years ago 'inkless' printers that used heat to print instead?  Are they still around?

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
onlyme

Small laser - samsnug, hp run a small one of remanufactured or third party cartridges.

Only thermal ones can think of were the wax type nice colour output but expensive to run.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
onlyme
19 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I like Brother and noticed they fill 4 places out of this top 10

https://homeuseprinter.com/best-black-and-white-laser-printers/

 

Would have mentioned them except a Brother A3 inkjet I bought a couple of years ago never did pick up paper properly and I spent most of the time unjamming thing thing before throwing it out into garden (for real).  Replaced it with a s/h HP 100 compact colour laser with toner cartridges on a carousel, not fast but very reliable and has not missed a beat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
The Masked Tulip

Canon MG5700 - slightly different model number for black or white case. It has separate colours for inks making replacements cheap PLUS Amazon sell a variety of inks that are cheaper than Canon's own ones.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Chewing Grass
3 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Brother Printers are very cheap to run... Highly recommended...

Buy Brother HL-L2350DW Mono Laser Printer | Printers | Argos  Offers duplex too..

3000 yield 3rd party cartridge (they seem to work fine)...for about 8 quid...

Compatible Toner Cartridge For Brother TN2420 HL-L2350DW L2370DN DCP-L2510D 7804947050400 | eBay

Agree, just got 4 sets of colour cartridges for mine, 16 in total for £14 delivered, each colour last about 6 months so that's 2 years supply in the bag.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Rare Bear
On 26/02/2021 at 02:14, wherebee said:

I have a HP printer for my office, but find that the cartridges run out pretty fast with some client work; any recommendations for home printers - black only would be fine - where you aren't over a barrel for ink replacements?  I remember years ago 'inkless' printers that used heat to print instead?  Are they still around?

The very first printer I bought in 1984 was thermal transfer.  It actually used a ribbon which was heated to transfer the ink onto the paper. I'm certain than there were printers which used heat sensitive paper. I'd guess pretty expensive paper.

The best computer related purchase I have ever made was a laser printer I bought for use at home. A Brother HL something or other mono laser printer. Just so cheap to run. Only rich people can afford inkjets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Dave Beans
3 hours ago, Rare Bear said:

The very first printer I bought in 1984 was thermal transfer.  It actually used a ribbon which was heated to transfer the ink onto the paper. I'm certain than there were printers which used heat sensitive paper. I'd guess pretty expensive paper.

The best computer related purchase I have ever made was a laser printer I bought for use at home. A Brother HL something or other mono laser printer. Just so cheap to run. Only rich people can afford inkjets.

Unless you go for an Ecotank...

Epson EcoTank Printers - Cartridge-free printer - Save 90% on the cost of ink - Epson

The problem I find with 3rd party inkjet inks, is that half the time, the printer can't/won't read the chip on the cartridge....so the ones you've just bought a bundle of, are redundant...

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Rare Bear
1 hour ago, Dave Beans said:

Unless you go for an Ecotank...

Epson EcoTank Printers - Cartridge-free printer - Save 90% on the cost of ink - Epson

The problem I find with 3rd party inkjet inks, is that half the time, the printer can't/won't read the chip on the cartridge....so the ones you've just bought a bundle of, are redundant...

I suspect that the one I have long predates the idea of chips on ink cartridges.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
DTMark

Another vote for a Brother printer. IIRC mine cost about £90 which is probably 3x the price of some shite Canon one but the paper feed worked, it could do A3, and the cartridges were cheap.

The only downside I can think of is that the PC software got rather upset if you had it connected wirelessly and then connected to a VPN from your PC. It would keep dropping offline. But then I think every printer I've had has been like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
swiss_democracy_for_all

Brother for me too - MFC-J895DW, 2 years or more so far and all good. Lower throughput so an inkjet with the head cleaning (stops them drying up) works fine for me - I've had so much trouble with other printers that I even buy the real cartridges for this one. It costs a bit but at least the fucking thing works and works well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
goldbug9999
On 26/02/2021 at 02:14, wherebee said:

I have a HP printer for my office, but find that the cartridges run out pretty fast with some client work; any recommendations for home printers - black only would be fine - where you aren't over a barrel for ink replacements?  I remember years ago 'inkless' printers that used heat to print instead?  Are they still around?

https://www.ryman.co.uk/epson-ecotank-et-m1120-mono-wireless-inkjet-printer?

Had one of those for use by a club that needed to do a lot of printing. Is very fast as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Bear Hug

I've been using Canon printer last 8 years or so. Cheap ink jet which I refill with syringe with black ink bought from Wilko for £2. Output is starting to look crap as I use it so rarely, so needs nozzle cleaning every time, but that was all I spent on ink in 8 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...