DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rents going through the roof (outside that London)?

Don Coglione

On 27/02/2021 at 22:55, sancho panza said:

Leicester isn't seeing it.

LE2

lots of dreaming BTLers asking £2000 per month for 6 beds as if covid hasn't happened and neither has the Uni building 1000's of rooms over the last few years.There's 10 sides of empty student places before you even get to the family homes.They start around the £1250 level probably circa a 4% gross yield.

After that there's one or two places that typify the LL's problem.

I see a similar pattern near where I live in NR4 & NR5, close proximity to the Uni of East Anglia. 

If I was a student landlord I'd be s***ting bricks about that (if there was a mortgage to pay) and considering letting as a family house instead. 

haroldshand
57 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

So wrong but you're so right.That's how it is.

The real victims are the  proud and self reliant ones who put a smile on everything and treat charity like the very last resort and even then many won't touch it, they  smile in adversity while their strength is being eaten from the hidden inside, I have seen that too often in my life as I watch some fat couple with 4 kids who never worked claiming they have not eaten in days with the begging bowls constantly held out.

Fully Detached
1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

psoted the above in the wrong thread.Here it si.

I only assk because it's worth pointing out that LL can only claim back £250 or so of eviction costs,hence eviction not a great route.Worth discusing that with LL if you can't find anywhere.Those costs can run into £1000's.

LL's are in a hole even aside from the above fact due to backlog in courts.

Glad youre standing your ground.
Have you got an AST/is teh deposit protected?

That's good to know, thanks.  It's actually a private rental so I would stand to lose the deposit and £250, but that's less than 2 months rent and more like 1 month of what some are trying to charge around here, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Having seen a little more available today I am feeling a bit happier that something will come up in the next 4 months, but that doesn't change how angry I am at this shit hole of a country.

sancho panza
1 hour ago, UmBongo said:

I see a similar pattern near where I live in NR4 & NR5, close proximity to the Uni of East Anglia. 

If I was a student landlord I'd be s***ting bricks about that (if there was a mortgage to pay) and considering letting as a family house instead. 

Couldn't beleive how many pages tehre are.Word is applications aren't that strong this year from firend who works at Leicester Uni(although it has its own problems).

Lot of kids taking a gap year due to others being forced to fork out for accomodation last yearand then getting imprisoned in it....

Leicester Uni has balance sheet problems and I suspect they won't tbe the only ones.They've built 100's of student rooms ain teh last few years,so the Leicester BTLer's are up against a struggling behemoth with bankers that have to subsidize it.

Overseas student numbers down,domestic student numbers down and they have problems on a cashflow basis I suspect.

Their net assets figure may be 'hopeful'.Tiem will tell.

image.png.0f07525773bb65de646f83c271381c41.png

image.png.538c63cc9fe8574acbbff15b630c6f60.png

image.png.5bb4e9412e20cefaa57b3a05a7459d9f.png

image.png.0538581baa0b017e31902431eb306f25.png

sancho panza
Just now, Fully Detached said:

That's good to know, thanks.  It's actually a private rental so I would stand to lose the deposit and £250, but that's less than 2 months rent and more like 1 month of what some are trying to charge around here, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Having seen a little more available today I am feeling a bit happier that something will come up in the next 4 months, but that doesn't change how angry I am at this shit hole of a country.

If it's a private rental then your deposit should be protected and you should have an AST.

Your deposit is only forfeit if you don't pay or there's damge when you leave that gets assessed by the Deposit protection people.

If there's no AST and no deposit protection,then your LL is in a hole of his own making.

Fully Detached
3 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

If it's a private rental then your deposit should be protected and you should have an AST.

Your deposit is only forfeit if you don't pay or there's damge when you leave that gets assessed by the Deposit protection people.

If there's no AST and no deposit protection,then your LL is in a hole of his own making.

Yep, I am not too worried about that either way. Or shall I say, I am probably much less worried about it than the LL will be :D 

Frank Hovis

This from the end of January had already flagged it up for Devon and Cornwall.

Big cities:

Inner London has been hardest hit, with average asking rents falling annually by 12.4%. That is followed by Edinburgh city centre, where the drop in asking rents in the Scottish capital was 10 per cent.

SW Towns and cities:

• St Austell £725 7.3%

• Torquay £706 6.8%

• Plymouth £684 5.9%

• Taunton £699 4.7%

• Gloucester £701 3.2%

• Exeter £833 3.0%

• Bristol £1,271 2.0%

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/rent-devon-cornwall-bucks-national-4934208

St Austell is probably high as it would be coming from a fairly low start point.  It's okay but like any inland Cornish town bar Truro it isn't seen as desirable by incomers.

sancho panza
21 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This from the end of January had already flagged it up for Devon and Cornwall.

Big cities:

Inner London has been hardest hit, with average asking rents falling annually by 12.4%. That is followed by Edinburgh city centre, where the drop in asking rents in the Scottish capital was 10 per cent.

SW Towns and cities:

• St Austell £725 7.3%

• Torquay £706 6.8%

• Plymouth £684 5.9%

• Taunton £699 4.7%

• Gloucester £701 3.2%

• Exeter £833 3.0%

• Bristol £1,271 2.0%

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/rent-devon-cornwall-bucks-national-4934208

St Austell is probably high as it would be coming from a fairly low start point.  It's okay but like any inland Cornish town bar Truro it isn't seen as desirable by incomers.

'St Austell is probably high as it would be coming from a fairly low start point.  It's okay but like any inland Cornish town bar Truro it isn't seen as desirable by incomers.'

Very much mirroring what's happening in the US of A according to wolf.

first about office space getting dumped

https://wolfstreet.com/2021/02/09/salesforce-largest-employer-in-san-francisco-switches-to-hybrid-work-from-anywhere-wont-need-all-that-space-in-the-salesforce-tower-uber-old-navy-yelp-oracle-dropbox/

effect of eviction bans

https://wolfstreet.com/2021/02/09/when-the-eviction-bans-end-how-many-more-renters-face-eviction-than-in-good-times-how-much-worse-is-it-now/

US-rent-collections-2021-02-09-month-end

rents plunge in san fran/rise fast in Newark etc

https://wolfstreet.com/2021/02/02/big-city-exodus-housing-distortions-rents-plunge-in-most-expensive-cities-but-explode-in-others-boston-plunge-steepens-san-francisco-plunge-pauses/

US-rents-2021-02-02-San-Francisco-Zumper

US-rents-2021-02-02-New-York-Zumper.png

But in Newark, where some of the New York City rent refugees ended up, rents have skyrocketed by 52% since July 2019. Much of the surge took place over the past seven months.

US-rents-2021-02-02-Newark-Zumper.png

2 hours ago, haroldshand said:

I am hearing so many similar stories like this , I hate to say it but for so many people by far the best option is to make yourself a victim in the eyes of the state. Become dependent on drugs or alcohol, get your missus up the stick or if you are a female become pregnant by a loser and play on it, there are so many options. Tell the state that you are in control and take responsibility for your life and they will laugh you all the way to your cardboard box.

I hear about so many Forces lads coming out and on the street, there was big story in the last week of an ex British swimmer who never had kids or claimed off the state and even paid into her pension having to live on the streets at 63, fucking country, and I hear another 200 entered Dover in the last few days with the good weather, many of them I might add were positive with covid

I read that.

I could not make head or tail or it. Its not a ver ygood vase, for whatever case its trying to make.

Im very cynical about these sort of sib stories.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ex-great-britain-swimmer-sleeping-23575329

Laranie McHendrie Decaire, 64, said she's been homeless and has "existed on absolutely no money" for four years due to a change in the system which plunged her into destitution.

Theres no change. You work til you can afford to retire.

Laraine, who has been homeless for four years, said she paid into her pension but the system failed her and left her destitute.

Agai, how much did she pay in?

Laranie also worked as a nanny and social worker abroad - travelling the world and creating happy memories for herself as she made the most of life.

How long has she lived in the UK?

But that all changed when she retired in England in the late 1990s.

Either DM is using the wrong word or she retired/stopped working at ~44.

Laranie (pronounced 'Lorraine) explained how she ended up sleeping rough as she said: "Unfortunately I lost my finances.

"I ended up in my situation actually because of changes in the system, and theft and fraud and different things like that.

"I paid into the system probably since the age of 14, whilst [I was] still at school, but I worked in all sorts of things since 11.

I can guarantee, whatever the system shes talking about, shes not paid into since 14.

This all sounds like dosser bullshit.

"But they changed the age of retirement, so now it's 66. So two pensions that I've paid for got moved, so I'm not eligible for that.

If she was signed up for a pension, then it would pay out at the 60, which would have been her retirement age when she joined them.

London is not eh place to be if you have little to no money.

haroldshand
4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I read that.

I could not make head or tail or it. Its not a ver ygood vase, for whatever case its trying to make.

Im very cynical about these sort of sib stories.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ex-great-britain-swimmer-sleeping-23575329

Laranie McHendrie Decaire, 64, said she's been homeless and has "existed on absolutely no money" for four years due to a change in the system which plunged her into destitution.

Theres no change. You work til you can afford to retire.

Laraine, who has been homeless for four years, said she paid into her pension but the system failed her and left her destitute.

Agai, how much did she pay in?

Laranie also worked as a nanny and social worker abroad - travelling the world and creating happy memories for herself as she made the most of life.

How long has she lived in the UK?

But that all changed when she retired in England in the late 1990s.

Either DM is using the wrong word or she retired/stopped working at ~44.

Laranie (pronounced 'Lorraine) explained how she ended up sleeping rough as she said: "Unfortunately I lost my finances.

"I ended up in my situation actually because of changes in the system, and theft and fraud and different things like that.

"I paid into the system probably since the age of 14, whilst [I was] still at school, but I worked in all sorts of things since 11.

I can guarantee, whatever the system shes talking about, shes not paid into since 14.

This all sounds like dosser bullshit.

"But they changed the age of retirement, so now it's 66. So two pensions that I've paid for got moved, so I'm not eligible for that.

If she was signed up for a pension, then it would pay out at the 60, which would have been her retirement age when she joined them.

London is not eh place to be if you have little to no money.

I totally get what you are saying and there were a lot of question I would have like to have asked first, without a doubt she fucked up a little herself and don't we all.

But that does not take away the fact there was a time when a REAL British person, and I have not problem using that terminology, would have had some option open to them to house themselves in some way no matter what they got up to in life,

I actually remember a time when you would get a certain type of council flat that were usually reserved for the fuck ups in life and were ten a penny, now they are major currency and you have to sell your victim like soul to get one.

24 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I totally get what you are saying and there were a lot of question I would have like to have asked first, without a doubt she fucked up a little herself and don't we all.

But that does not take away the fact there was a time when a REAL British person, and I have not problem using that terminology, would have had some option open to them to house themselves in some way no matter what they got up to in life,

I actually remember a time when you would get a certain type of council flat that were usually reserved for the fuck ups in life and were ten a penny, now they are major currency and you have to sell your victim like soul to get one.

Well ... thats one of the questions - Is she actually Canadian?

No single Brit, with no dependencies or connection is going to be housed in London.

Wight Flight
37 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Forgot her Bitcoin password?

https://www.gofundme.com/f/helping-lorraine-no-more-sleeping-rough?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

Lorraine was a professional swimmer and even represented GB in the nationals in Stevenage and in the masters championships
during the 80s representing Canada nationals and masters  in Japan. She worked as a teacher and social worker, travelled the world, and had a good life. Near the end of her career she lived in France teaching English and spent several happy years there, before returning to London.  Sadly, on her return she found she had lost her flat and belongings. She struggled to get any support from the Job Centre, who made her come to the office every single day for over a month to prove she was living in London before they gave her a single penny. Eventually it took its toll and without a permanent address she found herself on the streets. With having no previous mental health problems, no children under 16, she was unable to meet the strict criteria for social housing and did not qualify for help.  Once out of the system it’s very hard to get back in.  Despite being born in the UK and having worked her whole life helping people and paying into 2 pensions, the streets of London are all she can call home and they have been a dangerous and difficult place for her to survive.

After years on the streets, Lorraine suffers from Arthritis. It is worsened by the cold and wet winter weather, and this adds to her daily problems. More recently she’s been unable to draw or crochet much. Despite this, she hardly ever complains. She doesn’t drink or abuse any substances; she doesn’t even swear, and her faith has kept her strong, but a woman of her age should absolutely not be on the streets. Sadly, her homeland has let her down and the system is failing Lorraine, and many like her. We even tried to arrange a 60+/Freedom pass for her so she could get about easier and find shelter when it gets too cold but without a utility bill in her name it is not possible! We even tweeted TFL for help but no one responded.

After living a good life, travelling the world, then living in France for sveral years, what property was she expecting to come back to?

They keep banging about 'paid into all her years'

Then go on about her living in France.

They are mental.

Thier blurb:

Eventually it took its toll and without a permanent address she found herself on the streets. With having no previous mental health problems, no children under 16, she was unable to meet the strict criteria for social housing and did not qualify for help.  Once out of the system it’s very hard to get back in.  Despite being born in the UK and having worked her whole life helping people and paying into 2 pensions, the streets of London are all she can call home and they have been a dangerous and difficult place for her to survive.

Replying to
Lorraine is my missing aunt. She went missing again about 18 years ago. She has two sons, 3 sisters all alive. Lorraine has MH issues and I’m sure if who ever is running the groups raising awareness about her situation contacted me then the dots can be joined up and help her

Followed b ythe daft bints a tthe church:

Lorraine reads these messages and she won’t appreciate you telling everyone she has MH, I know her she doesn’t have MH she seems very with it. if you want your Aunt to reach out to you please delete these comments and PM us so you can connect with her when she’s ready x

Chewing Grass

^^^ Perhaps someone can put her in touch with Wayne Rooney as I'm sure he'd love to help a fellow sports person, no strings attached of course.

Castlevania
3 hours ago, sancho panza said:

'St Austell is probably high as it would be coming from a fairly low start point.  It's okay but like any inland Cornish town bar Truro it isn't seen as desirable by incomers.'

Very much mirroring what's happening in the US of A according to wolf.

first about office space getting dumped

https://wolfstreet.com/2021/02/09/salesforce-largest-employer-in-san-francisco-switches-to-hybrid-work-from-anywhere-wont-need-all-that-space-in-the-salesforce-tower-uber-old-navy-yelp-oracle-dropbox/

effect of eviction bans

https://wolfstreet.com/2021/02/09/when-the-eviction-bans-end-how-many-more-renters-face-eviction-than-in-good-times-how-much-worse-is-it-now/

US-rent-collections-2021-02-09-month-end

rents plunge in san fran/rise fast in Newark etc

https://wolfstreet.com/2021/02/02/big-city-exodus-housing-distortions-rents-plunge-in-most-expensive-cities-but-explode-in-others-boston-plunge-steepens-san-francisco-plunge-pauses/

US-rents-2021-02-02-San-Francisco-Zumper

US-rents-2021-02-02-New-York-Zumper.png

But in Newark, where some of the New York City rent refugees ended up, rents have skyrocketed by 52% since July 2019. Much of the surge took place over the past seven months.

US-rents-2021-02-02-Newark-Zumper.png

I don’t get that. Newark is a dump, but is easily commutable to New York City. It’s also in New Jersey so probably cheaper taxes. So why would rents explode?

Heart's Ease
7 hours ago, spygirl said:

Well ... thats one of the questions - Is she actually Canadian?

No single Brit, with no dependencies or connection is going to be housed in London.

Pensions are in Canada, according to her niece on the tweets. 

sancho panza
3 hours ago, Castlevania said:

I don’t get that. Newark is a dump, but is easily commutable to New York City. It’s also in New Jersey so probably cheaper taxes. So why would rents explode?

people leaving NYC to live ina a bigger apt or hosue in New Jersey as I understand it

4 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

Pensions are in Canada, according to her niece on the tweets. 

https://www.bigissue.com/latest/elite-swimmer-who-became-homeless-given-30000-by-strangers-laraine-mchendrie-decaire/

Massive backpedalling and detail being added.

https://www.bigissue.com/latest/elite-swimmer-who-became-homeless-given-30000-by-strangers-laraine-mchendrie-decaire/

London-born Laraine McHendrie-Décarie was once in the running for the Great Britain swimming team. The 64-year-old ended up representing Canada in the 1986 World Swimming Masters in Tokyo and after years spent working and travelling around the world she returned to the UK in 2016. Within days she was sleeping rough.

Locked out of her state pension after the qualifying age changed and robbed by fraudsters, she spent four years sleeping rough on church steps and in doorways across the capital.

So shes Canadian. Why in the fuck has she not been kicked out?

So shes just rocked up in 2016 with no money.

What the fuvk does she expect?

If shes got no fucking shell end up sleeping rough.

Archived