• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Kurt Barlow

Escape from Londonistan

Planning to move in a few months. Mrs B had enough of Enfieldistan and wants to live nearer to work which is near the Dartford Bridge (North Side)

Trouble is most areas near Grays are shyteholes

Visited Billericay today which seems very nice. Upminster is nice but bugger all to rent there ever.

Basildon appears crap other than Langdon Hills. South Ockendon appears mostly shyte other than top end.

6 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Planning to move in a few months. Mrs B had enough of Enfieldistan and wants to live nearer to work which is near the Dartford Bridge (North Side)

Trouble is most areas near Grays are shyteholes

Visited Billericay today which seems very nice. Upminster is nice but bugger all to rent there ever.

Basildon appears crap other than Langdon Hills. South Ockendon appears mostly shyte other than top end.

Used to work that way years ago so take this with a pinch of salt.  

Avoid anywhere near the estuary. It's rough.

the hinterlands of Essex have some nice villages.  Try going up the a12 and then branching off.  

There is a wonderful pub, the bell, in horndon (spelling?) on the hill.  Worth a trip just for that.  

Hornchurch is ok, not as nice as Upminster but ok.  

Billericay as you say is nice.  Brentwood also. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Used to work that way years ago so take this with a pinch of salt.  

Avoid anywhere near the estuary. It's rough.

the hinterlands of Essex have some nice villages.  Try going up the a12 and then branching off.  

There is a wonderful pub, the bell, in horndon (spelling?) on the hill.  Worth a trip just for that.  

Hornchurch is ok, not as nice as Upminster but ok.  

Billericay as you say is nice.  Brentwood also. 

That covers what I was about to throw in, worked with people who lived in Upminster and Hornchurch and seemed to like it.  Twenty years ago now though.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

That covers what I was about to throw in, worked with people who lived in Upminster and Hornchurch and seemed to like it.  Twenty years ago now though.

We might have passed each other on the streets out there.  It was 15 years ago that I stopped working out there. xD

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Billericay definitely scored low on the 'Chav pound index' which we use as a guide to suitability of areas to live in. We had lunch in Upminster 3 months ago which was nice but never much to rent there. Hornchurch better on the rental front.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

We might have passed each other on the streets out there.  It was 15 years ago that I stopped working out there. xD

I lived and worked in the City; I had the pleasure of being able to walk to work and hear about people's commutes in from Swindon, Northampton, Bedford, and even Portsmouth.

I went to Portsmouth on the train en route to France and it was a long trip; he must have been going straight to bed when he got home and did look permanently knackered.

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

My mate lives on the outskirts of Colchester and it's really nice. Colchester itself is an absolute bunghole but a lot of the outlying area is very nice and not stupid expensive.

Really? It looks OK on street view: https://goo.gl/maps/mMXc5e1Dd2H2 It's at least 20 years since I visited and I don't recall it being horrible at the time. What's changed?

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

Really? It looks OK on street view: https://goo.gl/maps/mMXc5e1Dd2H2 It's at least 20 years since I visited and I don't recall it being horrible at the time. What's changed?

Maybe I hit it on a bad day but I remember a lot of it being decidedly grim, the driving was god-awful as well. I didn't go down the high st. though it was mainly the surrounding areas. I was driving with my mate directing so I wasn't exactly sure where I was.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Maybe I hit it on a bad day but I remember a lot of it being decidedly grim, the driving was god-awful as well. I didn't go down the high st. though it was mainly the surrounding areas. I was driving with my mate directing so I wasn't exactly sure where I was.

I think it has the same kind of crappy 50s sprawl around it that Cambridge has in parts - no doubt 500K for a small 3 bed semi these days!

edit to add: 450K, but I was close - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68335199.html

Edited by TheBlueCat

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

I think it has the same kind of crappy 50s sprawl around it that Cambridge has in parts - no doubt 500K for a small 3 bed semi these days!

Same with Oxford. 

Surprising quite how rough some parts of that town can be, especially since it's become galactically expensive to live there.

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Same with Oxford. 

Surprising quite how rough some parts of that town can be, especially since it's become galactically expensive to live there.

A mate of mine (he was a student at the time) had the crap kicked out of him by some townies somewhere on the farther reaches of Cowley Road and spent several weeks in hospital recovering. There didn't seem to be so much of a town/gown thing in Cambridge when I lived there but there were still parts of the city that were pretty rough at night.

Anywhere from Epping in a line across to Great Dunmow is nice. Epping has a tube station and is very expensive. Great Dunmow is a nice little town not far from the M11.

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

Anywhere from Epping in a line across to Great Dunmow is nice. Epping has a tube station and is very expensive. Great Dunmow is a nice little town not far from the M11.

Avoid Great Dunmow.

I think my brother lives there.

I moved back to London in 1994 for work and stayed until 1999. It was OK really, but some parts are just shit.Do not live in a shit area. You will not like it.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I moved back to London in 1994 for work and stayed until 1999. It was OK really, but some parts are just shit.Do not live in a shit area. You will not like it.

It's a big area pinny.  Which bits?

8 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

A mate of mine (he was a student at the time) had the crap kicked out of him by some townies somewhere on the farther reaches of Cowley Road and spent several weeks in hospital recovering. There didn't seem to be so much of a town/gown thing in Cambridge when I lived there but there were still parts of the city that were pretty rough at night.

Sounds about right, I lived on Cowley Road for three years, it can get mighty ropey the further out you go and the actual town of Cowley itself is absolutely bloody awful.

I took a few kickings in Oxford, buying a kebab at closing time was a risky business!

9 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Oxford was always much bigger and rougher.  Oxford has the huge Blackbird Leys estate which was the top venue for doughnuts in stolen cars when the joyriding craze was at its peak.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Oxford was always much bigger and rougher.  Oxford has the huge Blackbird Leys estate which was the top venue for doughnuts in stolen cars when the joyriding craze was at its peak.

Cambridge produced top grade homosexual Russian spies too.

Newcastle produced no top grade homosexual Russian spies.

Just now, MrPin said:

Cambridge produced top grade homosexual Russian spies too.

It was a proud boast to say that Cambridge men were in the upper echelons of both the British and Russian secret services.

Often at the same time.