Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Cuntish employers in the new covid world


One percent
 Share

Recommended Posts

One percent

Thought that this deserved its very own thread. They must take a top prize for being so cuntish

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56213042

A restaurant chain has asked furloughed staff to loan the firm part of their wages or face the sack, a union claims.

Tomahawk Steakhouse wants employees to sign an agreement to lend 10% of their wages each month to cover their pension and national insurance contributions, the GMB Union says. 

Staff who refuse have been told their "suitability for the role will have to be reviewed", it is claimed.

Tomahawk has so far not responded to requests for comment.

  • Agree 2
  • Informative 4
  • Lol 3
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Thought that this deserved its very own thread. They must take a top prize for being so cuntish

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56213042

A restaurant chain has asked furloughed staff to loan the firm part of their wages or face the sack, a union claims.

Tomahawk Steakhouse wants employees to sign an agreement to lend 10% of their wages each month to cover their pension and national insurance contributions, the GMB Union says. 

Staff who refuse have been told their "suitability for the role will have to be reviewed", it is claimed.

Tomahawk has so far not responded to requests for comment.

Well 80% wages for doing fuck all for 12 months I don’t think I’d be that bothered if it droped to 70% .I know it’s a cunts trick but they have had a good run and I doubt this firm will survive anyway 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

M S E Refugee

They are screwed if they pull this kind of shit with their non-woke Restaurant name.

Wait until all the wokists get upset on behalf of all the Native Americans.

  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

image.jpeg.ee8d28c39f4e779309800b08098cb3f5.jpeg

A penis. 

Oh sorry I thought this was one of those "say the first word which pops into your head" tests. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Andersen

+1 and top marks for starting the thread - saves me the trouble after I saw the link somewehere else on t'web 

:PissedOff:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rare Bear
4 hours ago, One percent said:

Thought that this deserved its very own thread. They must take a top prize for being so cuntish

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56213042

A restaurant chain has asked furloughed staff to loan the firm part of their wages or face the sack, a union claims.

Tomahawk Steakhouse wants employees to sign an agreement to lend 10% of their wages each month to cover their pension and national insurance contributions, the GMB Union says. 

Staff who refuse have been told their "suitability for the role will have to be reviewed", it is claimed.

Tomahawk has so far not responded to requests for comment.

If the firm is that desperate for money they aren't going to survive anyhow do only an ejit would lend them anything.

  • Agree 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JohnThePessimist
45 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

If the firm is that desperate for money they aren't going to survive anyhow do only an ejit would lend them anything.

The way furlough was being managed in my last place, the business was paying the reduced wages and claiming from the government. Claims were being paid several months in arrears. I suspect a lot of businesses are being squeezed by the cash flow element.
Demanding loans is still a shitty trick...

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What annoyed me about this was the union rep saying:

Quote

GMB regional secretary Neil Derrick said: "It's never been easier or cheaper for businesses to borrow money than it is at the moment during the pandemic, but this business, Tomahawk, want it for free and they have solved their cash flow problem by giving a cash flow problem to their staff.

That's not true, apart from the very specific coronavirus loans.  If they've already used them up then there is no more money.

Big multinational can get money, and governments can get (print) money, but 'normal sized' businesses find it very difficult to get capital -- banks don't want to lend it to companies that might fail*.

[* they can just lend money to people to buy houses, as they know that government will intervene if it looks like there's trouble brewing, and has form in not letting asset prices drop]

Anyway, it is a pretty awful approach by the company -- I'd want to make sure I was in the front of the creditor queue before lending them a penny (and I'd like the loan secured against the owner's assets as well).

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chewing Grass
4 minutes ago, dgul said:

Anyway, it is a pretty awful approach by the company -- I'd want to make sure I was in the front of the creditor queue before lending them a penny (and I'd like the loan secured against the owner's assets as well).

Didn't the government change the law recently to put promote HMRC to poll position in debt recovery from failed companies?

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rare Bear

I'd put them in that class if business that produces the restaurant bill on the credit card machine with a big service charge already added. You know that you are being ripped off and you know that the people doing the serving are being ripped off. You don't go back.

  • Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SillyBilly

My first thought was that the Union will be complaining about this now and next week they will be complaining how the staff were left devastated and high and dry after the "surprise" failure of the business. Any business that does this is clearly so desperate for cash that normal business etiquette or standards are thrown out of the window, anything to save a penny. Go find another job as quickly as possible. Most won't.

Some employees think the till can never be empty, a lot of SMEs in the hospitality sector have had fuck all business for a year and a £50k bounce back loan and maybe £10k or so in grants; would be burned through in weeks by any sizeable business. And that is the extent of the help. I've had to educate a few people on what furlough is actually doing, a few seem to think it was free cash for the business. No, it is free cash for an employee in return for no work. Then the nasty employer (some with no income) have to pay your pension, 13.4% NI employer's contribution, payroll costs, insurances and any other employee related costs on top of that (all NOT covered) by the government.

I think this is cuntish thing FWIW but at the same time I think a very sizeable % of furloughed staff have treated furlough as a holiday and failed to realise the gravity of the situation and failed to use the time constructively at home, looking for other work. Its almost as if they felt the business they worked for could be sustained with 80% of their wage subbed and no other income to speak of and they'd waltz back in months later...

 

 

  • Agree 5
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SillyBilly said:

My first thought was that the Union will be complaining about this now and next week they will be complaining how the staff were left devastated and high and dry after the "surprise" failure of the business. Any business that does this is clearly so desperate for cash that normal business etiquette or standards are thrown out of the window, anything to save a penny. Go find another job as quickly as possible. Most won't.

Some employees think the till can never be empty, a lot of SMEs in the hospitality sector have had fuck all business for a year and a £50k bounce back loan and maybe £10k or so in grants; would be burned through in weeks by any sizeable business. And that is the extent of the help. I've had to educate a few people on what furlough is actually doing, a few seem to think it was free cash for the business. No, it is free cash for an employee in return for no work. Then the nasty employer (some with no income) have to pay your pension, 13.4% NI employer's contribution, payroll costs, insurances and any other employee related costs on top of that (all NOT covered) by the government.

I think this is cuntish thing FWIW but at the same time I think a very sizeable % of furloughed staff have treated furlough as a holiday and failed to realise the gravity of the situation and failed to use the time constructively at home, looking for other work. Its almost as if they felt the business they worked for could be sustained with 80% of their wage subbed and no other income to speak of and they'd waltz back in months later...

 

 

I'm staggered that my employer is still in business. I was predicting their demise during the original lockdown.

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Van Lady

^^^^
Public sector workers have no worries. Haven’t heard of any paid off or lost their jobs. Know of quite a few who are “working from home” from local chat or others I know of from local knowledge where I always see their car parked up outside their home these days but they weren’t pre Covid.

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

wherebee
23 minutes ago, eight said:

I'm staggered that my employer is still in business. I was predicting their demise during the original lockdown.

you working hard at that strategic goal? :ph34r:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wherebee
12 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

^^^^
Public sector workers have no worries. Haven’t heard of any paid off or lost their jobs. Know of quite a few who are “working from home” from local chat or others I know of from local knowledge where I always see their car parked up outside their home these days but they weren’t pre Covid.

A friend of mine - ex public sector - posted some guff about councils in sydney and plans for funding past the pandemic etc.  Mention of increases in rates, etc etc.  I suggested all staff take a 10% pay cut, as private sector has been decimated by the pandemic lockdowns and lack of tourism, whilst council workers have had pay increases.

 

You should have seen the bile I got from the public sector workers as a result.  They don't like it up em Mr Mainwaring...

  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rare Bear
47 minutes ago, wherebee said:

A friend of mine - ex public sector - posted some guff about councils in sydney and plans for funding past the pandemic etc.  Mention of increases in rates, etc etc.  I suggested all staff take a 10% pay cut, as private sector has been decimated by the pandemic lockdowns and lack of tourism, whilst council workers have had pay increases.

 

You should have seen the bile I got from the public sector workers as a result.  They don't like it up em Mr Mainwaring...

That, of course should be the way our chancellor is thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

My first thought was that the Union will be complaining about this now and next week they will be complaining how the staff were left devastated and high and dry after the "surprise" failure of the business. Any business that does this is clearly so desperate for cash that normal business etiquette or standards are thrown out of the window, anything to save a penny. Go find another job as quickly as possible. Most won't.

Some employees think the till can never be empty, a lot of SMEs in the hospitality sector have had fuck all business for a year and a £50k bounce back loan and maybe £10k or so in grants; would be burned through in weeks by any sizeable business. And that is the extent of the help. I've had to educate a few people on what furlough is actually doing, a few seem to think it was free cash for the business. No, it is free cash for an employee in return for no work. Then the nasty employer (some with no income) have to pay your pension, 13.4% NI employer's contribution, payroll costs, insurances and any other employee related costs on top of that (all NOT covered) by the government.

I think this is cuntish thing FWIW but at the same time I think a very sizeable % of furloughed staff have treated furlough as a holiday and failed to realise the gravity of the situation and failed to use the time constructively at home, looking for other work. Its almost as if they felt the business they worked for could be sustained with 80% of their wage subbed and no other income to speak of and they'd waltz back in months later...

 

 

There is another issue I didn't know about. Talking to a hotelier friend at the weekend, he told me that not only is the NI and pensions crucifying him, but the staff still accrue holiday, and when they take it, he has to pay them 100%, not 80%.

With 200 staff that really pissed him off. And an additional 20% of his payroll for 800 weeks is a bastard.

Edited by Wight Flight
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

There is another issue I didn't know about. Talking to a hotelier friend at the weekend, he told me that not only is the NI and pensions crucifying him, but the staff still accrue holiday, and when they take it, he has to pay them 100%, not 80%.

With 200 staff that really pissed him off. And an additional 20% of his payroll for 800 weeks is a bastard.

It's true. I've got 11 days to take. I was told "Use them or lose them" xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SillyBilly
18 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

There is another issue I didn't know about. Talking to a hotelier friend at the weekend, he told me that not only is the NI and pensions crucifying him, but the staff still accrue holiday, and when they take it, he has to pay them 100%, not 80%.

With 200 staff that really pissed him off. And an additional 20% of his payroll for 800 weeks is a bastard.

We had an absurd situation last year whereby we went from furloughing staff in April/early May to then paying the same staff time and a half overtime when they came back, this ran every weekend until Christmas. I was having to slip additional notes cash in hand to some as they were getting weary of all the OT in the end. And it was the holidays that killed us. We were incorrect to think that the initial collapse in the order book in April would remain for a period (operating in the dark) and therefore did not mandate any holiday be taken during the periods of furlough. So staff came back and started taking all their leave (on top of the 6 weeks off for some) during the back end of the year. So we paid for them to stay at home (we put the extra 20% in), we paid for them to have their holiday on top and then we paid them again for overtime to do the same volume we'd ordinarily resource for.

What we found happened in terms of business volumes was that the retailers panicked and stopped ordering in the March/April shutdown, cancelled a lot/most of their orders (which came up to us at producer level) yet pretty much at the exact same time online sales exploded. Their stocks invariably depleted hence the reports of empty shelves of paint/DIY products etc. and then they started placing massive orders to "catch up" for the lost March/April stock + extra + the demand for the months we were then in...and this was moving into peak season anyway. Impossible to resource this quickly, the supply chains are so delicately balanced. So we had 6 weeks scratching our arses doing nowt in April/early May then worked like manic for 7 months to pack in 9 months work + the additional volume from COVID. Clown year.

The staff won from this big time, I wouldn't begrudge this usually FWIW but highly annoying when you still hear all the moaning and whingeing when their pockets were stuffed and had 10 weeks+ off while others are losing their jobs. It really is a thankless task employing people, if you give staff an Xmas voucher for £25 you'd get criticised it ain't £50. Makes you wonder why you bother offering anything sometimes, always shit on whatever you do.

Edited by SillyBilly
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bus Stop Boxer
On 01/03/2021 at 10:04, One percent said:

Thought that this deserved its very own thread. They must take a top prize for being so cuntish

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56213042

A restaurant chain has asked furloughed staff to loan the firm part of their wages or face the sack, a union claims.

Tomahawk Steakhouse wants employees to sign an agreement to lend 10% of their wages each month to cover their pension and national insurance contributions, the GMB Union says. 

Staff who refuse have been told their "suitability for the role will have to be reviewed", it is claimed.

Tomahawk has so far not responded to requests for comment.

They need to get in the fucking sea.

  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the surface seems a bit cheeky doesn't it, however, when you take into account all the furlough payments/costs incurred it's not surprising.

Face it, this restaurant 'chain' is an ex-restaurant chain, the impact on eating/hoteliers has been catastrophic.  You have the likes of pizza express, then bella italia etc.  How many expensive eating places can the 'market' sustain.

Anyone who works for this company should be GTFO, they're toast.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...