• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Staycation UK

Fed up with being treated like shit at airports and by low budget airlines as well as being ripped off in Italy, run over in Spain, shot in Tunisia, both in France, and risking a cheap holiday in the Islamic Republic of Turkey.

Britts have now given up and are choosing the less stress option of staying at home.

There is also another reason and that is most normal folks especially with kids are actually tapped out.

Despite the increased appetite for a UK staycation, holiday budgets are feeling the pinch; the average spend per trip in 2017 is £530 – 14 per cent down on 2016 when holidaymakers were reported to be spending £613.

Small businesses catering for holidaymakers saw turnover jump 8.3 per cent in the first half of 2017 compared to the same period last year, according to research by Barclays.

75% of people have been on, or are planning, a UK staycation this year, up from 70 per cent in 2016.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-tourism-booming-brits-choose-staycation-weak-pound-barclays-a7913166.html

Unfortunately the comments section is littered with arseholes typical of the anything but Independents readership.

Edited by Chewing Grass
whoop di doo I need a poo

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Fed up with being treated like shit at airports and low budget airlines as well as being ripped off in Italy, run over in Spain, shot in Tunisia, both in France, and risking a cheap holiday in the Islamic Republic of Turkey.

Britts have now given up and choosing the less stress option of staying at home.

There is also another reason and that is most normal folks especially with kids are actually tapped out.

Despite the increased appetite for a UK staycation, holiday budgets are feeling the pinch; the average spend per trip in 2017 is £530 – 14 per cent down on 2016 when holidaymakers were reported to be spending £613.

Small businesses catering for holidaymakers saw turnover jump 8.3 per cent in the first half of 2017 compared to the same period last year, according to research by Barclays.

75% of people have been on, or are planning, a UK staycation this year, up from 70 per cent in 2016.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-tourism-booming-brits-choose-staycation-weak-pound-barclays-a7913166.html

Unfortunately the comments section is littered with arseholes typical of the anything but Independents readership.

Sod that it's been the wettest July/August in years, 4 weeks time we are jetting off to the sun 

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

What XYY said; when the weather's as good as this then nothing beats being at home.

Depends what part of the UK you live in 

IMG_3796.PNG

IMG_3797.PNG

Edited by Malthus
Grammar

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

What XYY said; when the weather's as good as this then nothing beats being at home.

Yeah but he doesn't live in Cornwall!

I agree otherwise, if you live in a nice area it makes more sense, if you must holiday away, to go to the Canaries or similar in the winter. Can't stand holidaying in July/August, but for the moment I have a little one who still likes being on holiday with Dad and Mum, so forced to do school hols a bit.

5 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Depends what part of the UK you live in 

IMG_3796.PNG

IMG_3797.PNG

Belfast climate is grounds for emigration by the sound of it.

Tell me something good about the place - all I ever hear on here is how fat and horrible and entitled the burds are and how it rains all the time. There must be something nice to say....(I don't know it at all, have never visited)

3 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Tell me something good about the place - all I ever hear on here is how fat and horrible and entitled the burds are and how it rains all the time. There must be something nice to say....(I don't know it at all, have never visited)

Not Belfast particularly but just watch Game of Thrones: beautiful uncrowded countryside, huge lakes, great shorelines, mountains even.  And white walkers.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Not Belfast particularly but just watch Game of Thrones: beautiful uncrowded countryside, huge lakes, great shorelines, mountains even.  And white walkers.

Yip when the sun does shine there is no where better 

fingers crossed September is sunny, the last 2 months have been awful 

Doing days out more this year than going away, went to Reading festival yesterday, day ticket, as daughter was going so thought it would be nice to meet up as well. Had a great day but knackered today. can't believe luck with the weather this year on the festival front, has been scorching.

Think the best way of staycationing is best to be flexible and ready to go, pick the weather and go away for weeks/weekends  at short notice and reliable/good weather forecast. Obviously tat is not always possible but it certainly helps a lot to have decent weather visiting anywhere.

My strategy is to have long weekends through July and August if the weather is OK, travelling to work is a doddle when all the idiots are on holiday and the schools are shut.

Then September arrives, the weather settles down and all the UK touristy places have a more chilled relaxed air about them.

Win win as far as I'm concerned.

29 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

The houses are cheaper than the south of England. We have nice countryside. Belfast is small and hence walkable - I earn a normal wage but I can afford to live a 10 minute walk from work and a 5 minute walk from the city center. That wouldn't be possible in the south.

I won't have the balls to emigrate but these last few weekends have been depressing as fuck; dark cloudy and frequently wet weather doesn't exactly lend itself to actually going out and doing anything does it. I think I'd enjoy life more if I was in a drier sunnier climate where you could go out and 'do' things other than just get drunk. I remember those two weeks I spent in San Diego last year and the climate was perfect - you left the house every morning and the warmth and the sun hit you the second you stepped out your front door every morning. It was a joy just being outside.

Edited by JoeDavola

7 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Doing days out more this year than going away, went to Reading festival yesterday, day ticket, as daughter was going so thought it would be nice to meet up as well. Had a great day but knackered today. can't believe luck with the weather this year on the festival front, has been scorching.

Think the best way of staycationing is best to be flexible and ready to go, pick the weather and go away for weeks/weekends  at short notice and reliable/good weather forecast. Obviously tat is not always possible but it certainly helps a lot to have decent weather visiting anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

My strategy is to have long weekends through July and August if the weather is OK, travelling to work is a doddle when all the idiots are on holiday and the schools are shut.

Then September arrives, the weather settles down and all the UK touristy places have a more chilled relaxed air about them.

Win win as far as I'm concerned.

I know what one of you two looks like but I can't remember which it sheep it is.

O.o

British people 'traditionally' (before 1970s or so)  go on hols in the summer, as that is when the weather is best in the UK.

But then we started going on holiday in foreign countries, where the weather is 'best' at different times of the year.  But we still go on holiday in the summer.

I think we're all stupid.

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

British people 'traditionally' (before 1970s or so)  go on hols in the summer, as that is when the weather is best in the UK.

But then we started going on holiday in foreign countries, where the weather is 'best' at different times of the year.  But we still go on holiday in the summer.

I think we're all stupid.

School holidays have dictated a lot of that though, Xmas being so short it bumps up prices to an even more ridiculous premium than summer, as well as the fewer number of locations with any sort of guarantee of decent weather. 

2 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Confused. Do you live in a suburb of London or the NE? I had always thought you were from somewhere in Bigots Brewland and lived in the SE.

xD  where is bigots brewland?  

Work and live in London but my home town, where I spend as much time as possible, is the photo.  

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Is it the big cloud of chlorine gas pouring in from France?

Nah, something that has blown down the coast from smoggy land. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

xD  where is bigots brewland?  

Work and live in London but my home town, where I spend as much time as possible, is the photo.  

Ah, so that's not London beach, ignore my last post please. I bet there isn't even a beach in London...

Bigots Brewland, WTF!?? Is Swissy a slow burning troll? Is he steaming drunk today? 

Also 1% (and girls) I want to apologise again for the other day.

I'm sorry.

13 minutes ago, onlyme said:

School holidays have dictated a lot of that though, Xmas being so short it bumps up prices to an even more ridiculous premium than summer, as well as the fewer number of locations with any sort of guarantee of decent weather. 

Yep.. school holidays really screw everything up.  It's a shame that schools don't stagger their holidays..  there's really no need for every school to be off at the same time.  Of all the things governments and education secretaries dick about with,  this would actually be an area where they could make a positive difference.