• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Malthus

Albums that you still listen to 25 + years on

Mine are 

The Cult -- Love 

AC/DC - Back in Black 

Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction 

New Order - Substance 

Prince - Purple Rain 

Erasure - Wonderland 

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison 

Thin Lizzy - Black Rose

Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet 

KLF - The White Room 

Alice DeeJay - Who needs Guitars Anyway ? 

The Eagles - Hotel California 

Fine Young Cannibals - album of the same name 

Edited by Malthus
Forgot a couple

There's just a handful that I listen to pretty regularly - New Gold Dream and a couple by The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge and What Does Anything Mean Basically. 

Brian Johnson did a turn with Muse on Sunday, they and he were great.

On 8/28/2017 at 17:32, Malthus said:

Mine are 

The Cult -- Love 

AC/DC - Back in Black 

Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction 

New Order - Substance 

Prince - Purple Rain 

Erasure - Wonderland 

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison 

Thin Lizzy - Black Rose

Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet 

KLF - The White Room 

The Eagles - Hotel California 

Fine Young Cannibals - album of the same name 

Some quality tunes there

Bit more than 25 years on for some of these, but

Queen (first album), and Sheer Heart Attack 

Led Zeppelin, 1,2 and 3

Eagles, Hotels California 

Buckingham/Nicks

Fleetwood Mac,  Fleetwood Mac and Rumours 

Guns & Roses, Appetite for Destruction 

10cc, Sheet Music, The original Soundtrack 

Whipping Boy, Heartworm

Tanita Tikaram, Ancient Heart 

Slade,  Slade Alive, Slayed

There's probably dozens more :)

20 hours ago, XswampyX said:

This one. It's great!

^ I love that album cover. Great track as well. B|

It was 25 years ago when I actually started buying albums. In early January 1992 I bought a CD ghetto blaster with single cassette deck. The first CD albums I bought were Seal, Michael Jackson - Dangerous and Shamen - Boss Drum. :$ I also bought the Prodigy Experience too at some point. I was still trying to fathom my musical tastes back then. I was just into chart music really and then got into Indie/Britpop in the mid 1990s. Sadly lost those albums in a burglary in February 1996 thanks to some delightful 'traveller' types. The did leave my 'Beach Boys - greatest hits' CD behind, so not all was lost!

I did buy 'Siamese Dream' by the Smashing Pumpkins in 1995. That album came out in 1993 at the same time my friends were worshipping Saint Kurt of Seattle but it took me 2 years to decide whether or not to splash the cash on it, One of the few albums I replaced after the burglary (and also SP's following album 'Mellon Collie & the Infinte Sadness') . So I guess that played every now and again after 22 years. This is the best track off the album imo:

No apologies for this one - it's a cracking pop album. Time-index linked to my favourite track

The album from which this comes. This actually brings tears to my eyes. From the film "Renaissance Man".

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 17:32, Malthus said:

Oh yes.

Did you know that one of the tracks was, um, repurposed..

@Malthus what a good idea for a thread and 25 out of 10 for mentioning the Cult.

@DTMark Erasure: yes. 

Talking Heads - Fear of Music

Pink Floyd - everyfuckingthing

U2 - nofuckingthing

Probably this one stands out for me:

Edited by blobloblob
Crap link 1st time round

E for ecstasy. M motherfucker motherfucker..... xD

Been listening to lots of late 80s early 90s stuff on Spotify recently. Doolittle (pixies) is a hell of a record.

1 hour ago, eight said:

I was listening to Stigma by EMF in the car yesterday. Weirdly both dated yet somehow contemporary sounding.

I used to practice, in the room next to them, at Time Out, a rehearsal place in an old warehouse in Gloucester docks. 

It was really odd, hearing their music on the radio etc, after hearing it for so long through the walls at Time Out. 

Duran Duran Rio, Notorious, Big Thing

Depeche Mode Songs Of Faith and Devotion

Primal Scream Screamadellica

George Michael Listen Without Prejudice (i'd have added Older but its only 22 years old)

Stone Roses, self titled

Prince Purple Rain

Paul Weller, self titled

Frankie Goes To Hollywood Welcome To The Pleasure Dome

Scritti Politti Cupid and Psyche 85

A-Ha East Of The Sun West Of The Moon

Pet Shop Boys Discography (not sure if singles compilations count!)

They say music takes you back.

For a long time going back wasn't very appealing. My coping mechanism has always been to lock thoughts away and leave them be.

Three times in my life, at my lowest depths of despair I've been saved. By a man named Bernie.

The first was a lyricist, writing words that were just for me. He knew what I was feeling, he understood what I was thinking. He doesn't look a bit like Jesus. His name is Bernie Taupin. Thanks Bernie.

The second insisted on being called Bernard. He was instrumental in shaking me awake, and kicking me up the arse. There's a big world out there waiting. It's yours. His name was Bernie Rhodes. He, as much as anybody else, gave us Punk. Thanks Bernard.

The third came along and sparked an excitement that has never waned. His name is Bernie Ecclestone. You gave me a reason for living when all seemed lost. Thank you Bernie.

Into The Old Man's Shoes is the b-side of Your Song by Elton John. I liked it so much I bought his album, Tumbleweed Connection. It wasn't on the album, so I took it back to the record shop. The old guy behind the counter pulled out another copy, and said, sorry kid, that's an old release, here's the new one, it's on it now.

Just reading over the thread there are certainly mentions that I relate to as well as albums that do clearly in some way stand the test of time.

Mixed bag for me as 25 years ago I was just getting into music with the likes of Seattle grunge and other alt rock/ hip hop.  Smashing pumpkins Siamese twins was probably my first favourite although have to say it's the grunge artists that I knew but didn't have has much taste for that still listen to periodically... Alice in chains their early 90 s stuff, maybe Soundgarden now and then.

Depeche mode and Prince were bands/ artists again that I didn't have time for but love nowadays.  Magazine the band as well as the the knew of again along with the cult but didn't give a chance until a couple of years ago... Solid stuff that to me kind of timeless ( especially magazine which is good music and the the where the album time bomb very timeless.

Completely love led Zeppelin album coda now.

Anyway yeah lots of good music back then but honestly 25 years ago from personal experience it's almost touching on my junior years of buying Jason Donovan and Kyle minougue.. neither of which I can say I listened to a year later let alone 25 .. surprisingly