DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

After 20 years I've sacked off my gym membership/rant

gibbon

On 11/06/2021 at 11:09, ElKapitan84 said:

Anyone here had shoulder injuries?  I have something that I can't self-diagnose (pass most of these YouTube 'tests'), but not serious enough to go to a physio over.

I've avoided pushing upwards above head for about 15 years. It's not a natural move.

The shoulder is a strong area and the only joint (I think) with three dimensional movement. In nature, we would never press upwards above head so it is not designed for that.

Pushing across is fine (benching) and down (dipping). Pushing up imo is asking for trouble.

Edited by Stuey
  • Informative 1

Roger_Mellie
1 hour ago, Stuey said:

I've avoided pushing upwards above head for about 15 years. It's not a natural move.

The shoulder is a strong area and the only joint (I think) with three dimensional movement. In nature, we would never press upwards above head so it is not designed for that.

Pushing across is fine (benching) and down (dipping). Pushing up imo is asking for trouble.

Hmmm... Never though of it like that.  I do Stronglifts, so overhead press regularly. But you could be right. 

Thinking about it it's the same argument with the Pendlay Row. If you want a big back then pull ups are the most natural exercise to do, pulling across isn't really that natural. 

haroldshand
On 05/03/2021 at 09:43, gibbon said:

Started going to gyms 20 years back before this fitness craze, when they were spit and sawdust male places full of roided up bodybuilders and what seemed to be 100 year old solid kit. Intimidating for a newbie but infact everyone was friendly, happy to help you out etc. Felt more like going to a social club/pub. There we rules, you learnt them quickly and everyone followed them. If you sweat all over the gear wipe it up (nearly everyone had a towel with them anyway). Put the kit and weights away. Share the equipment and so on. A lot of these gyms are long gone now.

The one I just left and was at for 2-3 years is a large new commercial gym, it's "instagrammable" apparently.

• The entire gym and it's kit decided by what looks best in photos. The machines are awful brand new junk (but they look nice). Dumbbells only go up to 30kg (because we don't want any of those scary meatheads turning up scaring off the soy boys).
  • Full of young thots wearing fuck all clothes for attention. It's air conditioned you fucking whores there's no reason for you to wear literally nothing....it's "the new nightclub" they say..girls still get all the attention but now not a single bloke gets his end away. Every exercise they do has to be with their ass up in the air for max attention.
  • Soy boy dickheads trying to use multiple bits of kit at the same time, already had two arguments with two apple watch wearing dickheads who came running over from another bit of kit the other end of the gym to tell me they were using this one. I swiftly told them to do one. 
  • Not a single cunt has any manners, nobody deloads the bars, benches/machines drenched in sweat, filthy animals not washing their hands after taking a piss/shit, people sit around chatting on bits of kit or checking their phones, dumbells all over the shop, everyone's got their headphones in...I guess the alternative is to listen to the gyms shit energy sapping music and get harassed by the 8 stone 17 year old PTs hard selling their sessions £30 sessions. £30 to look like you? Fuck off mate. 
  • It's so fucking busy day and night. Have to train at non-peak hours, yet even at 9.30pm you'll still find yourself waiting around to use something.

After having to train at home over lockdown with the gyms reopening soon I thought fuck it i'm not going back, 20 years and I've jacked it in. Working out at home now, all I got is a DIY suspension trainer, barbell + a few plates, filled a 5 litre water bottle in a bag to add resistance on body weight stuff, and some push up handles. Couldn't be happier. Done in 40mins no fucking around. I'll put the gym fee every month towards buying more plates. Home workouts are the future.

I am totally finished with gyms after 25 plus years, the next knuckle head youngster on protein powder and GH that constantly  informed me "cardio training was bad for me" and was "destroying muscle" I was going to pummel.

I do a lot of triathlons, mainly Olympic distance, and I need to do some strength training, but what I have done is just load up a f*** load of weight at home and only do big muscle group core exercises such deadlifts, squats and benches for example, it's way more than enough and saves me £500 per year at the posing gyms they have these days

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, haroldshand said:

I am totally finished with gyms after 25 plus years, the next knuckle head youngster on protein powder and GH that constantly  informed me "cardio training was bad for me" and was "destroying muscle" I was going to pummel.

I do a lot of triathlons, mainly Olympic distance, and I need to do some strength training, but what I have done is just load up a f*** load of weight at home and only do big muscle group core exercises such deadlifts, squats and benches for example, it's way more than enough and saves me £500 per year at the posing gyms they have these days

Yup everyone who's done a cycle is suddenly an expert on strength and conditioning with their bro science.

Been a bad few months for me training wise, loss in the family etc barely done anything apart from cardio, however finally starting to turn the corner.

Been meaning to start training outdoors, brought some bands months ago, so set the alarm for 6am and headed to the local play park 2 mins round the corner this morning. They've got a few bars which are perfect for pull ups and dips. Used my home made suspension trainer off them as well. Was lovely, barely anyone around apart from the odd dog walker. Just me and the birds in silence. Really enjoyed it and kicking myself for not doing it sooner. No attention seeking thots wearing fuck all, no PTs, no general gym dickheads, no queuing for machines, nobody wearing £200 worth of gym shark kit, no ego lifting, no bullshit covid rules. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c23688b443af973057e5c9ddcd9acf73.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a6794e212568b15d584b7af5ac15b604.jpeg

Gonna invest in a short rope to start doing rope climbs, meant to be brutal forearm workout.

Edited by gibbon
  • Agree 2
  • Cheers 3

haroldshand
5 hours ago, gibbon said:

Yup everyone who's done a cycle is suddenly an expert on strength and conditioning with their bro science.

Been a bad few months for me training wise, loss in the family etc barely done anything apart from cardio, however finally starting to turn the corner.

Been meaning to start training outdoors, brought some bands months ago, so set the alarm for 6am and headed to the local play park 2 mins round the corner this morning. They've got a few bars which are perfect for pull ups and dips. Used my home made suspension trainer off them as well. Was lovely, barely anyone around apart from the odd dog walker. Just me and the birds in silence. Really enjoyed it and kicking myself for not doing it sooner. No attention seeking thots wearing fuck all, no PTs, no general gym dickheads, no queuing for machines, nobody wearing £200 worth of gym shark kit, no ego lifting, no bullshit covid rules. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c23688b443af973057e5c9ddcd9acf73.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a6794e212568b15d584b7af5ac15b604.jpeg

Gonna invest in a short rope to start doing rope climbs, meant to be brutal forearm workout.

Many of us are in the same boat, my openwater swimming is all over the place at the moment and just cannot get my breathing right, but it won't take long to get it back, off again tonight.

Of all the "body builder types" I have met very few that have real core strength and very few do any sport at all, have you noticed they all have that sill same look about them and straight away you know they are not athletes.

I think there is something  to be said for training in the pissing rain or just  doing the old basic core exercises where you have to constantly readjust body building etc, it gives you a real core strength, a good variety of sports is another good one.

Just doing a weight exercise on one minute part of the body 10,000 times while taking whey just is not good for you in the long run IMO

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, haroldshand said:

Many of us are in the same boat, my openwater swimming is all over the place at the moment and just cannot get my breathing right, but it won't take long to get it back, off again tonight.

Of all the "body builder types" I have met very few that have real core strength and very few do any sport at all, have you noticed they all have that sill same look about them and straight away you know they are not athletes.

I think there is something  to be said for training in the pissing rain or just  doing the old basic core exercises where you have to constantly readjust body building etc, it gives you a real core strength, a good variety of sports is another good one.

Just doing a weight exercise on one minute part of the body 10,000 times while taking whey just is not good for you in the long run IMO

Body building training from the 1980s and 1990s is now being copied by both codes of rugby.

99% of bodybuilding is simple routines and progression. Bodybuilding forums though are full of people arguing about that last 1% (6 meals or 3 per day, carbs post workout or not). Every forum, like this one has its rabbit holes... 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

4 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Put up or shut up you soft cunt.

XYY

XYY

_20210615_074014.JPG

• Informative 1
  • Lol 2

Option5
1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

Are you in an echo chamber?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Decided to clean my diet back up now i'm back training. Bit pointless training hard then continue to eat crap. Was eating all manner of processed crap the last few months: chips, pizzas, pies, pastries, tins of crap, too much bread etc. I'd feel like shit for hours after a meal.

Threw all that crap in the bin (fuck the starving Africans). Doing a strict diet now: oats, berries, dark chocolate, fruit, fish, rice, chicken, nuts, yogurt, veg, milk, sweet potato. The change it made instantly is amazing, no more feeling bloated, tired or like shit for no reason. My concentration levels have increased and the brain fog lifted. Modern processed food really is poison. 

Edited by gibbon
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 3

• 2 weeks later...
gibbon

So was thinking I want to keep the outdoors calisthenics up through winter if possible, thought of having to go back to the gym over the winter isn't a pleasant one, would much rather train in the cold, dark and wet than deal with that fuckery again. Does anyone here train outdoors in the dark? There's no lighting in the park I train, so most likely be pitch black or close to it. Head torch? 

8 hours ago, gibbon said:

So was thinking I want to keep the outdoors calisthenics up through winter if possible, thought of having to go back to the gym over the winter isn't a pleasant one, would much rather train in the cold, dark and wet than deal with that fuckery again. Does anyone here train outdoors in the dark? There's no lighting in the park I train, so most likely be pitch black or close to it. Head torch? 

It was pretty dark for much of winter when I was doing tree branch pull ups at 6a.m. but not quite bad enough to need a torch.

Of greater concern was the hanging around next to a tree between sets and not to frighten people.. :ph34r:

• Lol 2

gibbon
15 hours ago, Stuey said:

It was pretty dark for much of winter when I was doing tree branch pull ups at 6a.m. but not quite bad enough to need a torch.

Of greater concern was the hanging around next to a tree between sets and not to frighten people.. :ph34r:

What sort of training you doing atm?

spunko
Posted (edited)
On 06/07/2021 at 10:07, gibbon said:

I did the winter before last but this was in my back garden. It's really quite difficult to want to exercise at 6am when it's pissing it down with rain/sleet and 2C outside. I think as long as you're selective and don't beat yourself up for not doing it as much as in summer, then it's fine.

Have you tried commando pullups out of interest? Just been doing them lately.

main-qimg-d6cfdddcb1a121333d82023e9c4729

Body oil optional.

Edited by spunko

1 hour ago, spunko said:

I did the winter before last but this was in my back garden. It's really quite difficult to want to exercise at 6am when it's pissing it down with rain/sleet and 2C outside. I think as long as you're selective and don't beat yourself up for not doing it as much as in summer, then it's fine.

Body oil optional.

These were what I was doing on tree branch. Switch which hand was in front between sets. Very difficult to find tree branches suitable for standard pull ups tbh as none have perfect alignment like bars in the gym. I think I got up to 90 reps in 12 sets.

2 hours ago, gibbon said:

What sort of training you doing atm?

Full body workouts three or four times a week. Splits don't seem to work for me.

Standard like this morning are weighted pull-ups, weighted dips, leg press. Six sets each. Then the fun stuff to finish like calf presses, bi and Tri curls.

gibbon
9 hours ago, spunko said:

Body oil optional.

Don't mind the cold or the dark, the rain would put me off though. Was just going to build an indoor routine for when it's pissing down. If worse comes to worst could always rejoin the gym for 3 months in winter for rainy days.

Nope just doing standard pull ups with bands at the moment to get the reps up. Not seen those commando pullups before, look interesting and i'll definitely give them a go, look more like a chin up variation?

7 hours ago, Stuey said:

Full body workouts three or four times a week. Splits don't seem to work for me.

Standard like this morning are weighted pull-ups, weighted dips, leg press. Six sets each. Then the fun stuff to finish like calf presses, bi and Tri curls.

Similar to me then, full body 4x a week, pull ups, dips, shoulders, arms, legs. I'm starting to swap pull ups/dips once or twice a week for different back/chest exercises as bit worried about overuse injuries. 

ElKapitan84
Posted (edited)
On 07/07/2021 at 12:56, Stuey said:

These were what I was doing on tree branch. Switch which hand was in front between sets. Very difficult to find tree branches suitable for standard pull ups tbh as none have perfect alignment like bars in the gym. I think I got up to 90 reps in 12 sets.

How long before you repeat again?  48 hours?

I think I'm gonna up my reps on everything to 15 and slow the speed way down, joints are starting to nag me lately.  Getting stale too.  Tried it with heavy shrugs, more disciplined form, traps burned and blew up.

Edited by ElKapitan84

42 minutes ago, ElKapitan84 said:

How long before you repeat again?  48 hours?

I think I'm gonna up my reps on everything to 15 and slow the speed way down, joints are starting to nag me lately.  Getting stale too.  Tried it with heavy shrugs, more disciplined form, traps burned and blew up.

Good weeks will be Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri.

Minimum would be Tues, weds, Fri. Or Weds, Thurs, Saturday. 

I never do the same workout back to back though, usually the second of a back to back would be flat dumbbell presses and bent over rows 

Stinky Wizzleteats
On 13/06/2021 at 11:18, Stuey said:

Probably quite telling that for pretty much everyone the overhead press is the movement that progresses slowest. Might not bother!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got back to my grunty gym in Berlin after about 8 months away. Could have gone back from June but couldn't be arsed booking a slot and getting a nose-test done, neither of which were required previously. Went today, had a test done there (5 minutes, free) and then got back into it.

I haven't been doing much in the meantime other than cycling, walking, some light dumbbell stuff. Nothing heavy.

My quads now hate me. I think I went into squats too fast without warm-up. Anyway, I reckon I've lost perhaps 15-20% of peak strength in the past eight months. Based on previous breaks I should make that back in 3-4 weeks. I only really use the gym for the heavy stuff - squats, deadlifts, bench. I think it's still worth it, if only for the testosterone boost that I don't get with the lighter exercises.

And it's a friendly place where the staff don't give a shit about the regulations (masks on when not exercising) "as long as the Ordnungsamt don't visit us."

• Informative 1

10 hours ago, Alex said:

Finally got back to my grunty gym in Berlin after about 8 months away. Could have gone back from June but couldn't be arsed booking a slot and getting a nose-test done, neither of which were required previously. Went today, had a test done there (5 minutes, free) and then got back into it.

I haven't been doing much in the meantime other than cycling, walking, some light dumbbell stuff. Nothing heavy.

My quads now hate me. I think I went into squats too fast without warm-up. Anyway, I reckon I've lost perhaps 15-20% of peak strength in the past eight months. Based on previous breaks I should make that back in 3-4 weeks. I only really use the gym for the heavy stuff - squats, deadlifts, bench. I think it's still worth it, if only for the testosterone boost that I don't get with the lighter exercises.

And it's a friendly place where the staff don't give a shit about the regulations (masks on when not exercising) "as long as the Ordnungsamt don't visit us."

Barbell benching seems really overrated to me. It has two flaws, you are pushing with an unnatural wrist position, and your stronger arm tends to take over with your weaker arm never catching up.

This corrects both flaws (note palms facing each other):

1-2a-incline-hammer-press_0.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Roger_Mellie

I'm still going, been a few weeks now. 

Generally stick to Stronglifts, but not going hell for leather to progress like I have in the past. If it starts to get heavy I'm staying on the same weight for a few sessions and focusing on form and bringing the rest time down. 

Ultimate aim is 140kg squats, currently at 80kg and whether I stay consistent enough to get to 140 is another question. I've done it before but I'm getting older and busier. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie
  • Agree 1

Hancock
16 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I'm still going, been a few weeks now. 

Generally stick to Stronglifts, but not going hell for leather to progress like I have in the past. If it starts to get heavy I'm staying on the same weight for a few sessions and focusing on form and bringing the rest time down. 

Ultimate aim is 140kg squats, currently at 80kg and whether I stay consistent enough to get to 140 is another question. I've done it before but I'm getting older and busier. 

You get to an age when just going to the gym is an achievement, weight targets become a thing of the past.

Ive not been since Jan 2020 as i fucked my left bicep/forearm area up quite badly (getting MRI shortly) ..... i've got a while off work now so tempted to go back .... its the thought of the pain for the days after i do squats thats putting me off.

I'll do 3 sets x 8 reps @ 60kg for the first month to avoid getting tendonitis and doing any damage to my knees, no point trying to be a hero anymore!

46 seems much older than 44 thanks to Boris and his needless lockdown.

Roger_Mellie
54 minutes ago, Hancock said:

You get to an age when just going to the gym is an achievement, weight targets become a thing of the past.

Ive not been since Jan 2020 as i fucked my left bicep/forearm area up quite badly (getting MRI shortly) ..... i've got a while off work now so tempted to go back .... its the thought of the pain for the days after i do squats thats putting me off.

I'll do 3 sets x 8 reps @ 60kg for the first month to avoid getting tendonitis and doing any damage to my knees, no point trying to be a hero anymore!

46 seems much older than 44 thanks to Boris and his needless lockdown.

Why go straight in at 60kg? Start with the bar, focus on form and add 2.5kg each time, pause on a particular weight when it feels heavy or painful and focus on the form. 

You'll get to 60kg in no time at all. It's one of the things that Stronglifts has spot on, start light and make progress from there. I've done 21 sessions since I started again and tonight was my 3rd at 80kg. I also did 3 at 70kg.