DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

After 20 years I've sacked off my gym membership/rant

gibbon

Hancock
13 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Why go straight in at 60kg? Start with the bar, focus on form and add 2.5kg each time, pause on a particular weight when it feels heavy or painful and focus on the form. 

You'll get to 60kg in no time at all. It's one of the things that Stronglifts has spot on, start light and make progress from there. I've done 21 sessions since I started again and tonight was my 3rd at 80kg. I also did 3 at 70kg. 

What is this "stronglifts" is it a website.

Makes sense to go in low.

Roger_Mellie
21 minutes ago, Hancock said:

What is this "stronglifts" is it a website.

Makes sense to go in low.

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/I

've always found it really useful. It's what I used to get to 140kg squats previously, I could do 140kg 5x5, which by my reckoning would put me towards the top end of what I ever see anyone else squatting and it's only a beginner program.

Don Coglione
10 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

've always found it really useful. It's what I used to get to 140kg squats previously, I could do 140kg 5x5, which by my reckoning would put me towards the top end of what I ever see anyone else squatting and it's only a beginner program.

Good going, Rog. I am doing similar, though not sure I will get to 140kg in my 50s now.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Don Coglione said:

Good going, Rog. I am doing similar, though not sure I will get to 140kg in my 50s now.

You might. Depends a lot on genetics, of course, but I was squatting 3x170kg late last year and I'm 50 now. On my 40th birthday I did 6x140kg so I don't think I've lost anything in the intervening decade. Should get back to my peak in a month or so.

Recently talking to a friend who, like me, starting doing heavy weights in his mid-teens. He thinks it's served us well in terms of overall health and fitness. I'll probably encourage my daughters to do the same.

• Agree 2

Hancock
10 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Do you do 5 x 5 all the way up to 140kg?

I've always doing 10 or more reps. of whatever exercise i'm doing .... usually aiming for 3 set ... though with squats i'd do 4.

Hancock
Just now, Alex said:

You might. Depends a lot on genetics, of course, but I was squatting 3x170kg late last year and I'm 50 now. On my 40th birthday I did 6x140kg so I don't think I've lost anything in the intervening decade. Should get back to my peak in a month or so.

Recently talking to a friend who, like me, starting doing heavy weights in his mid-teens. He thinks it's served us well in terms of overall health and fitness. I'll probably encourage my daughters to do the same.

If its mixed with stretching thats fine ... my mistake is it never has been ... and now at the grand age of 46 my leg/back muscles are as tight as can be.

Just now, Hancock said:

If its mixed with stretching thats fine ... my mistake is it never has been ... and now at the grand age of 46 my leg/back muscles are as tight as can be.

I've never stretched, before or after, not for any exercise. I know all the advice and I'm sure it's good, just could never be arsed and it's never been a problem for me.

• Cheers 1

Don Coglione
37 minutes ago, Alex said:

I hope so, Alex! I agree that strength doesn't drop off massively with age. In my developmental years, I prioritised running over lifting, so my legs are never going to be massive. I am targetting 5x5x120kg, which I know is achievable; if I can push on to 140, so much the better. I am running less these days, which helps.

• Cheers 1

Hancock
42 minutes ago, Alex said:

I've never stretched, before or after, not for any exercise. I know all the advice and I'm sure it's good, just could never be arsed and it's never been a problem for me.

Yes same here, and was never a problem .... until i got to my early 40s.

Roger_Mellie
1 hour ago, Hancock said:

I've always doing 10 or more reps. of whatever exercise i'm doing .... usually aiming for 3 set ... though with squats i'd do 4.

It depends, for some people progress really starts to slow and they switch programs, for me on the squat the number just kept going up without too much difficulty. Although I'd stalled on the bench press weeks/months earlier. 

This was about 8 years ago, I've had another couple of goes in between but something has always got in the way when I've got to about 100kg and I've stopped going regularly, then just stopped altogether.

It's consistently finding the time and having the motivation that's the big issue for me. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Stretching your bottom half is critical with squats, particularly early on, good range of motion and flexibility in hips, glutes, quads, hams, calves and ankles is really important for good form. I get really tight hip flexors and hips so I have to focus on it. 

It's another good reason to start with the bar. At 20kg when you squat you'll find out exactly where you're tight, if you're really tight you'll struggle to squat 20kg with good form without risking falling over backwards. Once you get heavier the weight tends to give you a helping hand getting down and not falling over backwards, but you compensate in other ways (leaning forwards) and that's when injuries are a real risk. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie

Roger_Mellie
1 hour ago, Hancock said:

It depends what you want to achieve... All the evidence seems to suggest that if strength is your aim then higher weight lower reps is better.

Some people suggest 3x5 is better than 5x5 because by the 4th and 5th sets fatigue sets in and form suffers, which from experience it does. The question is whether 3x5 is enough to get a good response from your body. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I've never stretched either. There's a decent school of thought that it is unnecessary (so long as you don't leap out of bed and start on the weights immediately). It's just one of those things people do to let other people know that they think they are serious and know what they are doing.

See ice baths for another example 9_9

@Roger_Mellie you might find some incentive around 06:30-07:30 at our place, not such a sausage fest any more.. ;)

Roger_Mellie
6 minutes ago, Stuey said:

I've never stretched either. There's a decent school of thought that it is unnecessary (so long as you don't leap out of bed and start on the weights immediately). It's just one of those things people do to let other people know that they think they are serious and know what they are doing.

@Roger_Mellie you might find some incentive around 06:30-07:30 at our place, not such a sausage fest any more.. ;)

I don't get up that early. 

I tend to go for the last hour. It's personal stuff that tends to get in the way, once the rhythm goes it's hard to start again. 

On the stretching thing, I've read things that claim stretching doesn't prevent injury. All I know is that when I stretch I get fewer aches and pains generally and I can squat with better form. But I wouldn't get evangelical about it. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I don't get up that early. 

I tend to go for the last hour. It's personal stuff that tends to get in the way, once the rhythm goes it's hard to start again. 

On the stretching thing, I've read things that claim stretching doesn't prevent injury. All I know is that when I stretch I get fewer aches and pains generally and I can squat with better form. But I wouldn't get evangelical about it. 

I have to cut out caffeine by around 1pm otherwise it affects my sleep. I also lift best when buzzing off caffeine...Therefore it's early doors. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Yeah, I really think it comes down to individual differences. Some people feel the benefit, some don't.

• Agree 1

Don Coglione
5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yeah, I really think it comes down to individual differences. Some people feel the benefit, some don't.

I never stretched until recently and it never seemed to do me any harm, although I am hopelessly inflexible, even after trying martial arts for a few years. Lately, I have started stretching between sets, but honestly I reckon this is more a psychological lift than anything else.

If you've never stretched how do you know it doesn't do you any good :Old:

I've done it since late teens. Whenever I miss it due to being in a rush or whatever - I often feel it the next day. 

I think it most definitely reduces injuries. And as 99.9999% of professional athletes do it - I'm guessing they don't just waste all that time for no reason. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Stuey said:

Didn't you have a really nasty injury recently ? I may have you mixed up. But if so it's possible stretching may have prevented it. Can never be sure of course.

Honk !!

ElKapitan84
On 22/07/2021 at 05:23, Stuey said:

Barbell benching seems really overrated to me. It has two flaws, you are pushing with an unnatural wrist position, and your stronger arm tends to take over with your weaker arm never catching up.

This corrects both flaws (note palms facing each other):

1-2a-incline-hammer-press_0.jpg

I sort of feel the same with barbell overhead press.  When I go heavy I start to feel shit in my neck creaking and twanging.  It feels like something is being pressed down/in towards the cervical in a way that might not be great.

But I love the control and pump I get out of the barbell for OHP.  With dumb bells I seem to spend the whole motion focusing on staying stable.  

Also with dumb bell benching, there have been a few times where I seem to lose control of them, which is dangerous.

Bear Hug
On 24/07/2021 at 13:44, ElKapitan84 said:

But I love the control and pump I get out of the barbell for OHP.  With dumb bells I seem to spend the whole motion focusing on staying stable.  

Same here. Also, I just do the horizontal bench. If I want variety, I change width of the grip or weight a bit. 

Sometimes I'd do something else for chest while waiting if the benches are occupied

11 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

Same here. Also, I just do the horizontal bench. If I want variety, I change width of the grip or weight a bit. 

Sometimes I'd do something else for chest while waiting if the benches are occupied

Weighted dips is always my go-to for chest. Got started on these when lifting in Leeds city centre at 5pm - no chance of a bench! But always a dipping station available.

Up to +50kg now, usually 7 or 8 reps first set then down to 5 or 6 dependent on rest time.