DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Nurses striking

Roger_Mellie

spygirl

The issue is that, apart from ICUs, the rest of the NHS has had a very quiet 12 months.

A majority part of this is Labour clinging to the NHS, as its the only thing they can think of.

The only problem is that the NHS, like migration, is not something theyve talked to voters about much, who are a bit wiser to the NHS's shortcomings and outright incompetence.

And it exposes Labour as just being a party of public sector workers -with unfunded pensions that need paying.

UKs next crisis is going to centre around paying -or not paying public sector pensions.

Im not sure how Labour can take a position, when it did not fund the pensions, relying on future higher taxes to pay for them, which looks v unlikely.

• Agree 6

The absolute gall of these greedy cunts is beyond me.

I work in the NHS and wouldn't accept that a pay rise is acceptable (on the other hand the finances of the UK are totally and utterly fucked so I don't really see any difference, it's all just printing money isn't it?)

For them to try and go on strike - great, let them do it.  Suspend and bring the full weight of any legistlation on them. Just fucking sack the lazy fat cunts.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

A majority part of this is Labour clinging to the NHS, as its the only thing they can think of.

If I remember correctly NHS staff weren't moaning much when Labour were in power. Within 6 months of them being booted out of power, the unions were starting to kick off, despite having lost nothing. And so the "24 hours to save the NHS" slogan gets wheeled out again.

For most of the time that the NHS has existed it has been under the charge of the Conservatives because Labour are so fecking useless most of the time they can't even kick a ball into an open goal.

• Agree 2

This is politics, I hope many NHS staff won't be so stupid as to strike, and it's the Unions being twats again.

Democorruptcy

Recent events have proved that NHS staff really do expect to be well paid, have good pensions and arrive home as fresh as they were when they went to work in the morning.

• Agree 2

spygirl
27 minutes ago, DTMark said:

If I remember correctly NHS staff weren't moaning much when Labour were in power. Within 6 months of them being booted out of power, the unions were starting to kick off, despite having lost nothing. And so the "24 hours to save the NHS" slogan gets wheeled out again.

For most of the time that the NHS has existed it has been under the charge of the Conservatives because Labour are so fecking useless most of the time they can't even kick a ball into an open goal.

Labour and the NHS is lot more complex and Labour dont really come off very well.

The NHS creation myth has Kier magicing the NHS into being.

Before that, people used to eat mud for medicine.

What Kier actually did was just change the heading/billing address of large number of charity, religious and company hospitals.

Nationalisation of UK health system rather than creating it.

The daft bastard was expecting demand to fall down after a bit.

He also put no thought into the actual structure of the NHS. This is why Drs and Surgeons operate life feudal lords in the NHS. The daft cunt did not set up a proper modern professional system.

Te NHS is one of the places where the pre WW2 class system exist in modern UK. Where the upper echelons are full of thick upper class idiots.

The modern NHS, as much as one that ever exists, was thought thru and created by Enoch Powell in the late 60s, who was the only Pol who sat down and thought what health resources needed.

Labour failed to achieve any thought or change i nthe 80s, spending too much time + money dealing with their own out of control Unions.

The Blair/Brown years saw a token thought of modernisation - NHS digital thing, which threw billions away and changed nothing.

To quote Charles Clark, the last Labour Pol I heard say anything thoughtful or   relevant about the NHS.

'Everyone talks about the NHS as being the best in the world.

It isnt.

No one is copying or looking at the NHS processes and ways of working.

Brown fucked him over and got rid of him.

Looking for the quote, I found this from 2003

https://www.economist.com/britain/2003/06/05/charles-clarke-fails-the-test

MUCH as the prime minister may resent the row over those frustratingly undiscovered weapons of mass destruction, for Charles Clarke, the education secretary, the timing could hardly have been kinder.

With schools returning from their half-term break, teachers across the country are discovering how many of their number are to be made redundant at the end of the term: present estimates indicate that it could be at least 800. But the real picture is much worse: there will be many unfilled vacancies, while support staff on short-term contracts will quietly disappear.

The result will be larger classes and more pupils sent home early. It's a field day for local newspapers in the most affected areas, but, consolingly for Mr Clarke, at least the national media now has other things on its mind. Next week, with any luck, the euro announcement should keep Mr Clarke's lugubrious features off the front pages for a few more days.

For otherwise, fate has not been kind to Mr Clarke just lately. Although there are some worthy rivals, nowhere in government does the guiding principle of Murphy's law—if it can go wrong, it will—adhere with quite such tenacity as it does at Mr Clarke's Department of Education and Skills.

The latest blow is the result of some nifty digging by Damian Green, Mr Clarke's opposite number. In 1998, the government promised to cut truancy by a third. Since then, it has devoted £650m ($1.1 billion) to its campaign—and the number of children skipping school has risen by a third. Meanwhile, Ofsted, the schools inspectorate, issued a less-than-glowing report on another expensive initiative—the government's £800m programme to raise educational standards in inner cities. According to the chief inspector of schools, David Bell, among the 1,000 schools covered by snazzily-named schemes such as “Education Action Zones” and “Excellence in Cities”, “there are rapid improvements in some schools but this is offset by the disappointing progress, or even decline, of others.”

But these troubled schemes are not Mr Clarke's biggest problems. Two issues bother him more. One is the difficulty of selling the idea of £3,000-a-year university tuition fees (while Mr Green brazenly promises to abolish all such charges) to a profoundly hostile Labour Party later this year or next.

The other big issue, and the most pressing one right now, is the crisis over teacher redundancies, for it is destroying Mr Clarke's reputation for competence. It's difficult to explain exactly what has happened, because nobody really seems to understand it, not even the fairly brainy Mr Clarke and his even brainier minister for schools standards, David Miliband. Suffice it to say that Mr Clarke thought that the £2.7 billion of extra funding for this year he had won from the Treasury would be more than enough to meet higher salaries for teachers and increased pension and employers' national insurance contributions. Thanks to a fiendishly complex funding formula under which central and local government channels money to schools, nobody realised until ten weeks ago that it would not.

Mr Clarke was sent to education in October last year as a replacement for hapless Estelle Morris precisely because Mr Blair wanted someone who was big enough and tough enough both to get things done and to manage the inevitable crises when they blew up. But his response to the unfolding disaster in the schools has been at once complacent and confrontational. Without much supporting evidence, he has blamed the local education authorities for sitting on £500m, but has so far done little to resolve matters.

Mr Clarke now talks about using the momentum of the crisis to centralise school funding, cutting the education authorities out of all but the most mundane tasks. This may be perfectly sensible if it means more money going directly to head teachers to spend as they see fit. But the danger is that Mr Clarke will attempt to enact a complicated and far-reaching piece of legislation in a fit of pique, much as Margaret Thatcher did when she abolished the Ken Livingstone-led Greater London Council.

And then Labour invented TCs and let in 15m-20m migrants.

• Agree 5

Ash4781b

Fair play to them considering the £bn They have thrown out on PPE, tracking systems.

Though those defined benefit nhs pension costs are part of the package but don’t really get mentioned. 

4 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

I had to admire Sunak for sticking to his guns on no pay rise for NHS workers - when asked why by a journo he said 'because unlike many in the private sector, none of them have lost their jobs'.

And that is the thrux of it. They havent lost thier jobs. 

Maybe they will get a pay rise in a couple of years that means more to them, but many in the Pubic sector do not understand where the Government gets its money from. 

The private sector!

The Private sector where many have not had an income for almost a year.

• Agree 1

Popuplights
11 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

many in the Pubic sector do not understand where the Government gets its money from. 

The private sector!

Pubic sector!! Love it!! Very apt.

4 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

I say that as a Pubic sector worker myself and know just how fucking lucky I am to have a job and one of the best pensions left.

• Cheers 2

I've worked out that this is a clever move by Gov.

When they go on strike the government will save the wages of the largest workforce in the world.

That'll help the government coffers bigly.

• Agree 2

sarahbell
11 minutes ago, dgul said:

I've worked out that this is a clever move by Gov.

When they go on strike the government will save the wages of the largest workforce in the world.

That'll help the government coffers bigly.

And perhaps make not a huge difference if hospitals aren't wide open

• Agree 2

ad_ceng
1 hour ago, Popuplights said:

This sent people loopy on Twitter

his average nurse salary tweet is good too 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1

Popuplights
1 minute ago, ad_ceng said:

It's funny how the truth triggers people so much

• Agree 2

ad_ceng
1 minute ago, Popuplights said:

It's funny how the truth triggers people so much

Going forward there is going to be public sector hero's and everyone else

Austin Allegro

Let them try a strike. Let's see how much clapping for carers there is when 17 year old RAMC privates and St John Ambulance volunteers are having to do the work of Our Wonderful NHS. Didn't do the fire brigade unions much good when they tried it.

Edited by Austin Allegro
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Hancock

Poor little mites have been used to being off work and are looking for a way to continue it.

But good luck to them if it ends up bringing down Boris and his cabinet, some group of people have to get rid of him ASAP for the sake of the nations sanity.

1 hour ago, ad_ceng said:

Hmm.  I now believe that public sector workers think that they are the economy, and that the private sector exists to give them something to spend their money on.

• Agree 4
  • Lol 1

ad_ceng
12 minutes ago, dgul said:

Hmm.  I now believe that public sector workers think that they are the economy, and that the private sector exists to give them something to spend their money on.

The sense of entitlement in most public sector is incredible. 

A society needs both though a much smaller public sector is needed. The world has gone nuts since the fall of the berlin wall 

• Agree 9

AlfredTheLittle
4 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

Fair play to them considering the £bn They have thrown out on PPE, tracking systems.

Though those defined benefit nhs pension costs are part of the package but don’t really get mentioned. 

Really interesting situation, the government don't want people to remember that the reason they can't give anyone a pay rise is because they've spunked £400 billion on nothing, the nurses can't really use this against the government as it's supposedly been spent on the NHS.

Everyone is tied up by the lies and fantasy they've all been spouting. I Iope the nurses do strike, not because the lazy cunts deserve a payrise, but because it will be a good fight to watch

On the other hand, I don't think it will come to that because the government will cave in - after all, it's only another few billion, well worth it to save the NHS.

• Agree 8

6 hours ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Really interesting situation, the government don't want people to remember that the reason they can't give anyone a pay rise is because they've spunked £400 billion on nothing, the nurses can't really use this against the government as it's supposedly been spent on the NHS.

I'll go with that Alf. Who's shares have gone up?