DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

FTSE 100

goldbug9999

goldbug9999

So, I've had a fairly big chunk of portfolio in this for, well seems like forever because thats what "everyone" says is the sensible thing but really its done ABSOLUTELY FUCK ALL especially in the last 4 or 5 years - no capital appreciation and paltry divis.

Seems like now in particular there is a fair amount of downside risk with very limited upside potential (10% max ?).

Should I ditch this shit now ? (and maybe wait for a good entry point into the NASDAQ ...)

Edited by goldbug9999
  • Agree 1

reformed nice guy

I cant give financial advice of course, but il give some of my thoughts

I live in the UK so my house + job + state pension gives me a lot of exposure to the UK already.

The vast majority of FTSE shares I target are international companies that float here or are headquartered here. For example, BP, BAT, Glencore, Vodafone etc

I have a few targets that are mainly UK but have near monopolies and are often hated: Drax, BT, Royal Mail, SSE

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Sugarlips

Some would argue that being long U.K. plc is pretty contrarian right now, the economy couldn’t have had much more thrown at it over the last few years. Not advice but booms often follow busts...

• Agree 1

longtomsilver

I'm in agreement with @reformed nice guy and also the person writing this article below. The FTSE-100 is valued fairly, it's taken a dent with covid which was the mother of all spanners in the works and even with a mass sell-off dropped 25% only to recover most of those losses. The dividends have been clipped yet they still paid on average greater than 3% yield. Business will get back to normal for nearly all the bluechips that make up the FTSE 100/250 in a trading environment with massively devalued £££s and that'll be reflecting in the price of their goods and services which will feed through to the bottom line. If you're looking at 5-10 years I'd say it's a good bet against inflation.

https://www.ukvalueinvestor.com/2020/02/ftse-100-cape-valuation-forecast.html/

• Informative 2