DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How much does it cost to live on a canal boat (excluding the boat)

Chewing Grass

Question

14 answers to this question

stokiescum

Fuck it’s more expensive than living in my house however I dare say the further south you are the more your saveing compared to the north .however what’s the depreciation on a 50k boat 

Edited by stokiescum
Chewing Grass

That's what I thought, and its damp, the boat not the house.

stokiescum
5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

That's what I thought, and its damp, the boat not the house.

No mooring fees so they are continese cruising which by looking at the pic could well be correct .ps not watched the video yet

Edited by stokiescum
  • Lol 1
onlyme
1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

No mooring fees so they are continese cruising which by looking at the pic could well be correct .ps not watched the video yet

Yes, actually their licence seems cheap, thought was more than that, marina mooring very roughly £2k I think for middle of the road marinas.

Chewing Grass

They continuously cruise as they make a living through travelling on it, don't think they use marinas.

stokiescum
7 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Yes, actually their licence seems cheap, thought was more than that, marina mooring very roughly £2k I think for middle of the road marinas.

I looked into it then came to

my senses regarding drowning kids and the fact so many pubs like the canal near here .had a spot lined up that was close to work and I figured an electric bike for the last 4 miles and chargeing around . One of the lads I was working with dad lives on his normally found dossing around stone .

spunko

If you use the reasonbly accurate rule that you spend 1% of your house price on upkeep every year, then this is apparently the same as living in a £1.2m house... Madness.

Although, they've included 'groceries' which isn't really anything to do with maintenance. If you take that off then it's more like an £800k house :S

stokiescum
1 minute ago, spunko said:

If you use the reasonbly accurate rule that you spend 1% of your house price on upkeep every year, then this is apparently the same as living in a £1.2m house... Madness.

Although, they've included 'groceries' which isn't really anything to do with maintenance. If you take that off then it's more like an £800k house :S

Most people will moor boats it’s not always has easy has you think moveing around all the time I’m told

• Agree 1
AlfredTheLittle

Looks like only about £4000 to £5000 is actually boat expenses in that list.... e.g. phone, how is that a boat expense?

• Agree 1
Cosmic Apple
11 hours ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Looks like only about £4000 to £5000 is actually boat expenses in that list.... e.g. phone, how is that a boat expense?

Its total living expenses. Easy to subtract the ones you'd not put in that category from the total.

Also their boat is £135k or near that... and they don't pay mooring fees as they move around.

Easier said than done if you have a job at a fixed location, or even a job that isn't filming the canal! "Sorry I can't attend that meeting, I have to move my boat before it gets dark".

• Lol 1
jm51

Back when I listened to R2, Alex Lester had the midweek graveyard slot. He talked about his longboat (or barge?) named The Blue Pig.

Then it came time for the marine version of the mot. The work needed was expensive enough for him to give up living in a boat.

Edited by jm51
  • Informative 1
Green Devil

Haha, they pay £157 for a TV licence, what a bunch of muppets :CryBaby: :Jumping:

• Agree 1
Libspero

There are lots of people who look like they liveaboard down near Anderton Boat Lift.    If you were interested I’m sure they’d give you all the details.

I expect it’s fun for a year or two,  but ultimately a lot of hassle / inconvenience O.o