DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cancel UK mobile contract

DTMark

Question

I have an EE mobile contract which ends this month. So I can change it or cancel it.

The cheapest plan is £16 per month for 12 months with 1GB of data.

Here in Italy you can have PAYG with 100GB per month, 5G, roaming and international calls for 9.99 EUR.

https://www.iliad.it/offerta-iliad-flash100-5G-999.html

Prices in the UK are extortionate.

At the moment I can't see any reason to keep the UK SIM and plan to cancel it.

I have a VOIP landline number and a VOIP app on my mobile so people calling from the UK call a UK number. So they're not going to be forced to pay more to call an international one. I got that when those were being given away so it costs me about a fiver a year to top up.

I'm just wondering if I'll lose anything that I haven't foreseen by which time it will be too late to go back.

Can anyone think of anything..

15 answers to this question

reformed nice guy
3 hours ago, DTMark said:

I have an EE mobile contract which ends this month. So I can change it or cancel it.

EE is owned by BT.

I have shares in BT.

Just leave it going mate, good for my divis :D

• Lol 4
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DTMark said:

Here in Italy you can have PAYG with 100GB per month, 5G, roaming and international calls for 9.99 EUR.

I have a VOIP landline number and a VOIP app on my mobile so people calling from the UK call a UK number. So they're not going to be forced to pay more to call an international one. I got that when those were being given away so it costs me about a fiver a year to top up.

I'm just wondering if I'll lose anything that I haven't foreseen by which time it will be too late to go back.

Tesco Mobile PAY 20gbp pm for 40gb

The only thing I've been able to think of is that if I put an Italian SIM in my mobile, replacing the soon-to-die UK EE SIM, it's possible that things like the "Play Store" will default to Italian apps.

Which is good in that I have to put those onto a separate phone - things like the apps for the Post Office and the energy company - at the moment since the apps are not available in the UK region.

But may mean there are things I use which are UK based to which I will no longer have access.

Democorruptcy
On 12/03/2021 at 12:07, DTMark said:

Why do you have to stay with EE? There are lots of better deals than that £16 1GB around.

Just one example is Three at a similar price £17.50 (over 2 years after first 6 months half price)

6 months half price - £20 from month 7

£20.00
Unlimited data
£10.00 a month*

24 month Advanced plan

Unlimited minutes
Unlimited texts

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

Libspero
17 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

Just one example is Three at a similar price £17.50 (over 2 years after first 6 months half price)

That’s very good for unlimited.  Might cancel my broadband and set up a hotspot instead O.o

Democorruptcy
17 minutes ago, Libspero said:

That’s very good for unlimited.  Might cancel my broadband and set up a hotspot instead O.o

It's what I've used since 2019 and the 6 months half price offer isn't just for new customers I got it when I renewed. The tethering works great, I've used it for catch up on the smart TV.

• Informative 1

Dave Beans
4 hours ago, Libspero said:

I was with Three directly, until a year ago, when I got walloped with a massive call bill.  I moved, and went with a linked MVNO in Smarty...  An unlimited 30 day rolling contract for twenty quid a month...or 50Gb for £12 p/m..

Simple, honest mobile | SMARTY

Edited by Dave Beans
  • Agree 1

Democorruptcy
17 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

I was with Three directly, until a year ago, when I got walloped with a massive call bill.  I moved, and went with a linked MVNO in Smarty...  An unlimited 30 day rolling contract for twenty quid a month...or 50Gb for £12 p/m..

Simple, honest mobile | SMARTY

SMARTY and Three are the same firm using the same network. 

Dave Beans
1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

SMARTY and Three are the same firm using the same network. 

Yep...they're a MVNO - a mobile virtual network operator...they piggyback off Three's network.  Much like GiffGaff & 02. 

SMARTY - Wikipedia

• Agree 1

Even though they're owned by the big telecoms for some reason companies like Plusnet and Tesco Mobile are about a third of the price. 

Btw there's no point trying to get EE to price match, they won't.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Even though they're owned by the big telecoms for some reason companies like Plusnet and Tesco Mobile are about a third of the price. 

Btw there's no point trying to get EE to price match, they won't.

Indeed. UK contract cancelled.

7,99 EUR/mo Italian SIM ordered.

The UK prices for these things are incredibly high.

nirvana
12 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Indeed. UK contract cancelled.

7,99 EUR/mo Italian SIM ordered.

The UK prices for these things are incredibly high.

just seen a Froggie deal for the same sum 7,99€ for unlimited calls and 60gb data...

how much data you getting with your deal?

Ciao!

GiffGaff are cheaper than O2 because they spend hardly any money on customer service. Nearly all customer service is done online by volunteers who get phone credit in return.

I once posted a question on the GiffGaff site. In less than a minute I had 2 replies.

Unlimited calls and 300 texts a month for £6. iirc, I also get 0.5gb of data but I never use that.