DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Back to the Boozer Part I

Wight Flight

Wight Flight

12th April.

Monday.

A little thread to monitor plans, moan about fully booked pubs, post bollocks on the day and talk us through the post event hangover.

Who is taking the day (and the next one) off work?

• Cheers 1

Austin Allegro
Just now, Wight Flight said:

12th April.

Monday.

A little thread to monitor plans, moan about fully booked pubs, post bollocks on the day and talk us through the post event hangover.

Who is taking the day (and the next one) off work?

Do we know if gags, anti-social distancing, track 'n' trace etc will still be required to go in?

If so it's a no from me.

• Agree 7

Hancock

Only reason i went in pubs prior to lockdown was for a Sunday dinner, but the thought of going into one when all the excitable bellends of England pour into their beer gardens on 12th April does not appeal.

I hope it pisses down that weekend, something akin to a fucken monsoon.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 2

Hancock
3 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Do we know if gags, anti-social distancing, track 'n' trace etc will still be required to go in?

If so it's a no from me.

Oh yes they will be, they didnt give away 40bln on T and T for nothing ... well they did.

No doubt masks will be expected when going in to buy a drink.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
Just now, Hancock said:

Oh yes they will be, they didnt give away 40bln on T and T for nothing ... well they did.

It will be table service only.

Wight Flight
Just now, Hancock said:

Too many rules for me to keep up with. 

It's really very simple.

You walk in to the beer garden (masked if you really must), sit down and order copious amounts of alcohol from the buxom serving wench.

Then try and remember where you live.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 3

Wight Flight
10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

In reality, you walk in to the beer garden and realise there are no available seats because it's 2 to a bench.  You wait for 45 minutes to eventually be seated at a table which has accrued 25 empties and is sticky from spillage.  The ugly fat tattoo-covered halfwit serving the beer is nowhere to be seen, you've got a mouth like an Arab's sandshoe and you wonder why you didn't just stay in.    

Whatever.

I will be here for the afternoon. And will be arriving early.

Spyglass inn ventnor isle of wight england uk great britain Stock Photo -  Alamy

• Cheers 5

Everything will be shut in Lombardy again from Monday - it's returning to "red zone" status. This is fairly fluid and changes frequently.

In Britain is the policy that, as people get hacked off, the government announces a future date when the restrictions may or may not be relaxed, and then everyone quietens down and looks forward to the date when everything may or may not reopen?

• Lol 1

The Generation Game
40 minutes ago, Hancock said:

Masks will be expected whilst consuming beverage. 

I think a huge chunk of the pubs here will go to the wall. 

• Agree 3

Fairly ambivalent about this in a way. I think I'll pop to my local for a couple if it is sunny, but make sure I'm dehydrated first (or salt load) so I don't have to mess about with the indoors masking or excuses bollocks. 

The way my local is built, in a northerly or easterly wind (cold directions here), the building shelters the beer garden seating. Westerlies and southerlies you're more exposed to, but they're usually of a milder air source. 

• Informative 1

26 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Whatever.

Spyglass inn ventnor isle of wight england uk great britain Stock Photo -  Alamy

It looks nice and don't get me wrong I like an afternoon session as much as the next man but with table service and distancing I think much of what makes a pub a pub will be lost.   I hope I'm wrong and I look forward to the post session report.  

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

It looks nice and don't get me wrong I like an afternoon session as much as the next man but with table service and distancing I think much of what makes a pub a pub will be lost.   I hope I'm wrong and I look forward to the post session report.  

The daft thing is that my garden has exactly the same view, and will be a lot cheaper.

But my garden doesn't have live music at the weekends, so I feel we need to give them as much custom as we can to get them back on their feet financially before we lose them forever.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Masks will be expected whilst consuming beverage. 

I think a huge chunk of the pubs here will go to the wall. 

Not to mention just before the UK closed in December it was 5.50 GBP/Pint. Which I tolerated because I knew they were in a difficult spot and they had put on such a good effort. 

No doubt it will be at least 6.00 when they reopen and although I may still have the occasional one my pubbing days are over. What's the point when you can sit outside with some cans and get rekt at your leisure and no cunt bossing you about sitting too close or what have you.

• Agree 4

I'll be going because it gives me a perfect excuse to smoke a cigarette or three. However, if it's pissing down with rain I probably won't bother.

55 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Whatever.

Are you sure that's real and not just a photo of the latest Hornby building from their 2021 range?

There's 'twee' and there's that place... Blimey

• Lol 1

Wight Flight
3 minutes ago, spunko said:

Are you sure that's real and not just a photo of the latest Hornby building from their 2021 range?

There's 'twee' and there's that place... Blimey

No. It's real.

Longer view...

The Spyglass Inn | Isle of Wight

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DTMark said:

Everything will be shut in Lombardy again from Monday - it's returning to "red zone" status. This is fairly fluid and changes frequently.

Do you feel that this is in response to something tangible or just TPTB "trying it on"?

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Stuey said:

I raise you Y Consti...

Consti33.JPG

Probably very nice - but I can't walk home from there.

3 minutes ago, eight said:

Do you feel that this is in response to something tangible or just TPTB "trying it on"?

So far as I know, the measures are related to the current load on the health system.

I say current load - it would have to be predicted load, since the effects take time to be seen.

I assume the same is true in the UK. The strategy is hiding in plain sight: "Protect the NHS".

It seems to be the case that in the UK, politicians are incapable of answering the question "When will the restrictions be eased" with "When it's the right time", and feel the need to give a date.

Austin Allegro
1 hour ago, DTMark said:

In Britain is the policy that, as people get hacked off, the government announces a future date when the restrictions may or may not be relaxed, and then everyone quietens down and looks forward to the date when everything may or may not reopen?

Yes, that's pretty much what HMG has been doing since February last year and will probably continue doing ad infinitum. The latest Roadmap, however, whilst full of get out clauses and plausible deniability does seem to be being treated as a firm committment by the media and general public, which will make it a lot harder for them to renege on (though I suspect they will try).

I doubt I'll be going back to pubs any time soon. My friends from the village local have been having 'pub nights' at each others' homes for a few months now and to be honest I don't think any of us particularly want to go back to pubs until they are 'back to normal'.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

M S E Refugee

Somebody told me yesterday a Pub landlord they know probably won't reopen his Pub if there are restrictions in place.

The last time when had to do table service he said he was losing money hand over fist.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3