• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Gay Pride - meaningless street pantomime?

There was one in Cornwall last weekend and a friend of a friend went to it.

She's retired, not gay, and viewed it as another free event like carnival. She said there weren't many men there and they were massively outnumbered by lots of women with young children who clearly had brought them along for the free entertainment.  This tallies to the pictures I've seen of other ones.

Other than in the name there doesn't seem to be anything gay about it, except in the prior usage of gay meaning fun, so it doesn't seem to be advancing or celebrating those rights but rather putting on a free event for non-gay people.

It seems very similar to the "rainbow run" events where people turn up in white t shirts and get sprayed with poster paints.  Same sort of demographic too.

Which makes me wonder why the organisers are bothering; just join the carnival's organising committee and make that bigger.

Had one here in southampton at the weekend, Sinitta headlined from the back of a lorry trailer singing "so macho" with a couple of gay backing dancers lol 

Do these people even get picked on anymore these days? 

Seems like they get elevated to special status and given plum jobs at local councils and uni's etc

Maybe thats why they do it? To keep the game going? 

I think I agree with you, but that's for a heterosexual perspective. I'd say being gay is mainstream now so no need to celebrate it - it's legal and people are accepting. But maybe from a gay perspective there is still discrimination - those bakers in NI spring to mind. A friend of mine came out to her family a couple of years ago, most were absolutely fine with it but sadly not so her parents, who didn't talk to her for months.

I went to the one in Sydney which, while colourful, seemed more of an excuse for a lot of blokes not wearing very much to get pissed and wave their dicks about.

Which is absolutely fine though I can't help but feel that if I got pissed and walked down Sydneys main street waving my twig and berries about, I'd probably be arrested.

Ho-hum.

Whilst the papers would suggest otherwise I've not noticed it conferring any advantage on people and I've been working in the public sector for the last ten years so that's where it would be most likely.  The chief exec of one council was a lesbian but she was there on merit.

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I went to the one in Sydney which, while colourful, seemed more of an excuse for a lot of blokes not wearing very much to get pissed and wave their dicks about.

Which is absolutely fine though I can't help but feel that if I got pissed and walked down Sydneys main street waving my twig and berries about, I'd probably be arrested.

Ho-hum.

Very Australian! 

12 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I think I agree with you, but that's for a heterosexual perspective. I'd say being gay is mainstream now so no need to celebrate it - it's legal and people are accepting. But maybe from a gay perspective there is still discrimination - those bakers in NI spring to mind. A friend of mine came out to her family a couple of years ago, most were absolutely fine with it but sadly not so her parents, who didn't talk to her for months.

People discriminate for myriad reasons. If you need to force people to accept everything then you are in a tyranny.  Some SJWs are saying any person who rejects a same sex partner for a date is sexist and full of hate...carry this on and it will be perfectly OK for arranged marriages.

12 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Some people will always object to it, I don't see how these street parties change that.  Personally I'm absolutely fine with it these days but didn't used to be; my views changed from knowing several gay people not from exposure to some big pantomime event.

Just now, Great Guy said:

I'd love to see a gay pride event going through a Muslim area...

Yes, that would actually be meaningful.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, that would actually be meaningful.

I'd have genuine respect for SJWs if they organised a gay pride march through Bradford. As it is they seem more interested in ganging up and picking on people that wont fight back.

There are hardly any "extreme" Christians in the UK. Yet they spent a fortune on the Christian bakers case. Yet at the same time two men holding hands in certain areas will be attacked.

How about a straight white middle aged male pattern baldness missionary position pride event?

It doesn't matter where you put your knob these days so long as it's legal, so I wish the media would stop making a fuss about the whole subject.

46 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

She's retired, not gay, and viewed it as another free event like carnival. She said there weren't many men there and they were massively outnumbered by lots of women with young children who clearly had brought them along for the free entertainment.

Yup I made a topic about this a few weeks back cause I noticed the exact same thing:

I think it's mainly an event for 'right on' straight women. The hard left types who tend not to have kids love it and have attended for years, but the media have made it mainstream enough now that a big percentage of 'normal' women, even those who aren't overly political, go to it for a fun day out and some light virtue signalling.

I was talking to a mate about it and he said something which I thought encapsulated it all perfectly. He mentioned that he has a couple of guy guys that live opposite him and during gay pride day they were in the front garden painting their fence. I.e. just living a normal life like the rest of us, cause they weren't a couple of narcissists.

Edited by JoeDavola

from the sound of it these marches might be an awesome place for a place for a hetero guy to pick up birds.

I'd imagine a lot of birds would love the "I'm a homo, but you're so attractive I really fancy you, want to go to bed?" line.

6 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

from the sound of it these marches might be an awesome place for a place for a hetero guy to pick up birds.

I'd imagine a lot of birds would love the "I'm a homo, but you're so attractive I really fancy you, want to go to bed?" line.

The ones I have seen in South Wales do give the impression that they are meat markets for, for want of a better term, older predatory dykes on much younger late teen early 20-something would-be gay women. You often see very young women at these events looking incredibly nervous.

The Manchester vigil focuses on the Manchester 22. 
which has pissed a good few people off. As well as the rattling tins during the vigil trying to rake a few more pence for the real charity.

My friend's argument is that Pride focuses on alcohol which probably results in more HIV infection than it raises money for. Only a penny or so in the ticket price goes to any actual charity.

Just now, sarahbell said:

My friend's argument is that Pride focuses on alcohol which probably results in more HIV infection than it raises money for. Only a penny or so in the ticket price goes to any actual charity.

Fantastic point that had never occurred to me - how many STD's are spread every pride night during drunken 'fuck you I can do what I want!' unprotected sex.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Whilst the papers would suggest otherwise I've not noticed it conferring any advantage on people and I've been working in the public sector for the last ten years so that's where it would be most likely.  The chief exec of one council was a lesbian but she was there on merit.

What about beeb journalists and presenters? Seems like way more than 10%. Perhaps just my perception...

4 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

What about beeb journalists and presenters? Seems like way more than 10%. Perhaps just my perception...

There are (puts on tin helmet) certain professions which have always had a disproportionate number of gay people.

(puts on second tin helmet): hairdressing, fashion / tailoring, catering, hospitality and entertainment

It may be self-perpetuating because where there already is a high percentage then it is going to be a comfortable environment but there is also for entertainment the saying "scratch an actor and find an actress" as for the flamboyant type being in front of the lights is going to appeal greatly.

So I think you're right but I don't think that this is the So-Called BBC discriminating in favour of gay people; rather that there is a much higher percentage of gay people who wish to work in this field than in the general population. 

I work in finance and I have only ever known two in finance which is going to be much less than 1%.  I think that tells you that Finance is a bit dull rather than that it discriminates.

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Which makes me wonder why the organisers are bothering; just join the carnival's organising committee and make that bigger.

Sponsorship I assume, an easy way for the organisers to get lavished with gifts and cash from corporate sponsors who want to boost their image and conveniently avoid paying tax on it. That's my take on any corporate "fun day" (surely an oxymoron) etc.

5 hours ago, BigV said:

How about a straight white middle aged male pattern baldness missionary position pride event?

A Dosbods meet-up in other words?

2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

They have one in Swansea. Gay men seem to avoid it as there still appears to be a stigma to being gay. Also a lot of gay men that I know do not idenitfy with the pantomime.

The event tends, as you say, to be full of young women or older women with much younger 'partners'. It is deemed to be trendy or risque to be a young woman and call yoursel gay or bi. I suspect, with many of the younger women, it is more about being seen to be trendy and I doubt most will consider themselves bi or gay when older.

A few years ago, when the annual event was held in a park local to me, I was walking home through some woodland and came across a 20-something woman snogging a younger woman pushed up against a tree. She saw me coming and pushed the girl up against the tree and snogged her as I was approaching. She then turned to me and said "I've bet you never seen that before!".

So I educated her for several minutes on the things that I have seen :ph34r:

You should have pulled up a chair and said "Imagine how shocked and distraught I'll be if you take it further."