• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Stupid initials and acronyms

These do of course make sense on many occasions, such as "EU", but at other times they're awkward, clumsy, or even obscuring.  Just use the bloody words!

Current pet hates:

SBC - Sky Bet Championship - just call it the Championship (I appreciate media outlets do this for sponsorship / contractual reasons but people on football forums doing it?)

POTUS, and as of today FLOTUS - horrible words, sound like hippopotamus. Just say President and First Lady; it's always clear which country is being referred to from the context.

GOP - Grand Old Party. This used to baffle me in US papers until I found it meant Republican. Just say Republican.

:PissedOff:

And, breathe, breathe..

They do seem to be an effective way to talk down to people. I find at work that when you start questioning the "experts" they retreat into acronyms and other obscuring jargon, expecting people to be embarrassed to ask what they mean and just retreat from the line of questioning while pretending to have understood. They always seem absolutely astounded when asked to explain the acronyms and the line of questioning continues. 

POTUS originated as the security services' shorthand for the person they were guarding.

I detest EE - say it and you sound like a mouse squeaking. Everything about the  branding is awful. Orange used to be a great distinctive brand but they trashed it.

IT is acronym ground zero.

In fact they are so common that quite often they get duplicated for different things which leads to endless confusion. I have seen people talking to each other in acronym speak who took at least half an hour to work out they were discussing completely different things. As a result every document in IT has to have a mammoth glossary at the beginning to help people decipher the strings of meaningless abbreviations within it. 

Edited by Flirtygirty

4 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

For a website dedicated to the disk operating system we don't seem to have enough threads about it.

Did we consider using Cat Preferring Mad Birds On Dating Sites ?.

3 hours ago, Flirtygirty said:

IT is acronym ground zero.

In fact they are so common that quite often they get duplicated for different things which leads to endless confusion. I have seen people talking to each other in acronym speak who took at least half an hour to work out they were discussing completely different things. As a result every document in IT has to have a mammoth glossary at the beginning to help people decipher the strings of meaningless abbreviations within it. 

YANBU