DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What happened to all the unionised n public sector workers dying?

spygirl

spygirl

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/london-bus-drivers-three-times-more-likely-to-die-from-covid-b925156.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52938155

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-02-02/covid-at-least-230-nhs-workers-have-died-during-the-pandemic-here-is-a-list-of-all-of-them

Are they adjusting for obesity?

I'd have thought the most dangerous job, who face lots of people esp OAPs would be super market workers.

No fuckers using public transport.

Few are going into hospital.

• Agree 2

Caravan Monster

NHS clinical staff:

https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/nhs-workforce-statistics/november-2020

230 / 622,836 = 0.0003

UK Population:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

146487 / 70,000,000 = 0.002

Would be interesting to know how supermarket staff fared over the past year. They had basically zero protection and high levels of contact with large numbers of people this time last year when there was a mask shortage and were unimportant instead of being vitally critical ppe without which everyone will die unless they wear one in shops that they are now.

• Agree 7

Death stats are just to provide scary news stories. The real impact of covid is the numbers having or choosing to self-isolate or 'off sick' for one reason or another including track and trace saying they were in the same location as a positive person. For that reason many employers have told their staff to not have a track and trace phone on them at work as all the supermarket staff would be isolating all the time.

One hospital in my region had 1000 staff off isolating or 'sick' when it was reported a while ago. Made me wonder how many staff these hospitals have as the main bod said it wouldn't impact the operation of the hospital. I guess not when all non-covid related stuff was on hold.

Heard similar stories of large numbers of plod off, railway operators off, so likely common in all public services.

The only people dying in significant percentages (though still fractions of a percent) of their age group are those over 60, the older the more pronounced. Old people die, who knew. If it ain't covid it's the other common killers of people. I know someone in their 70s that died of a heart attack on the eve of getting the covid jab after isolating for months out of fear of catching covid. I do wonder if the stress of that, going to have the jab at a 'covid place' was too much, but they just put it down to old age health issues.

• Agree 5

Dogtania
1 hour ago, UmBongo said:

To quote Pearl Jam: I'm still alive! 

Yeeeaaahhh. 

Just checked and Eddie vedder, who is the one wailing that is indeed alive.  Unlike a lot of his contemporaries who passed through drugs or suicide.  My favourite band for a brief year or two when I first started having my own tastes (ie not Jason Donovan like I professed to liking a few years before) was smashing pumpkins.  Billy corgan lead singer still going strong and I've come back last few years to listen to their stuff.  Interesting chap, didn't seem to take himself as seriously... Listening to a podcast a while back he actually sounded like quite an interesting character too.

Apologies, memory hole time. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Dogtania said:

Just checked and Eddie vedder, who is the one wailing that is indeed alive.  Unlike a lot of his contemporaries who passed through drugs or suicide.  My favourite band for a brief year or two when I first started having my own tastes (ie not Jason Donovan like I professed to liking a few years before) was smashing pumpkins.  Billy corgan lead singer still going strong and I've come back last few years to listen to their stuff.  Interesting chap, didn't seem to take himself as seriously... Listening to a podcast a while back he actually sounded like quite an interesting character too.

Apologies, memory hole time. 

Smashing Pumpkins are one of those bands that seem to need a bit of effort to get into, and fly way under the radar over here. I've never found the time to really appreciate but stuff like Ava Adore, Disarm, Stand Inside Your Love is :x

• Agree 3

UmBongo

From covid to 1990s American grunge/Rock in a few posts. Whoops! 

I like the Smashing Pumpkins, have their earlier albums on CD. Mayonnaise is a stand out track for me. B|

Edited by UmBongo
spelling
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Dogtania
8 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Smashing Pumpkins are one of those bands that seem to need a bit of effort to get into, and fly way under the radar over here. I've never found the time to really appreciate but stuff like Ava Adore, Disarm, Stand Inside Your Love is :x

Really bad at remembering song titles.  Disarm amazing yeah, was from the Siamese dream, first album which i loved.  Maybe that's why I've never really listened to much since very young.  A bit later Mellon Collie infinite sadness came about and friends listened to but I kind of had fell out of love of the genre.  Now I really appreciate Mellon Collie as a whole album I think it really works similar say to pink Floyd dark side of the moon, as a whole body of work.

Totally agree harder to get into, only really listened to Mellon Collie and I think gush recently, which I didn't know back then and now really like a few of the tracks but overall can't really get into most.  Pisces Iscariot was probably the other, I picked up as some kind of import, loved back then some outstanding tracks but overall not sure... And the tracks as I've just gone back over, the oncs I liked back then so much not sure I like now as much, what a difference a few decades make eh

Caravan Monster
2 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

NHS clinical staff:

https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/nhs-workforce-statistics/november-2020

230 / 622,836 = 0.0003

UK Population:

Would be interesting to know how supermarket staff fared over the past year. They had basically zero protection and high levels of contact with large numbers of people this time last year when there was a mask shortage and were unimportant instead of being vitally critical ppe without which everyone will die unless they wear one in shops that they are now.

I'm wrong about this. It should be comparing nhs clinical workforce covid deaths to UK population 18 - 65 (presumed normal nhs retirement age) Can't find any UK total covid deaths by age figures that are less than six months old.

Anecdotally, all the supermarket staff working locally are the same ones from pre-pandemic. They've all worked throughout. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dogtania said:

Really bad at remembering song titles.  Disarm amazing yeah, was from the Siamese dream, first album which i loved.  Maybe that's why I've never really listened to much since very young.  A bit later Mellon Collie infinite sadness came about and friends listened to but I kind of had fell out of love of the genre.  Now I really appreciate Mellon Collie as a whole album I think it really works similar say to pink Floyd dark side of the moon, as a whole body of work.

Totally agree harder to get into, only really listened to Mellon Collie and I think gush recently, which I didn't know back then and now really like a few of the tracks but overall can't really get into most.  Pisces Iscariot was probably the other, I picked up as some kind of import, loved back then some outstanding tracks but overall not sure... And the tracks as I've just gone back over, the oncs I liked back then so much not sure I like now as much, what a difference a few decades make eh

Some of the shit I liked 20 years ago was sappy emo punk stuff so no chance I like that now as a clownlord. Seems strange listening to songs that were huge to you previously but now seem pathetic

stokiescum

It got into where I worked and killed 5 very old people with dementia and ripped through the staff no deaths and half didn’t even know they had it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Really liked the Smashing Pumpkins when they hit big.

Here's a few blasts from their past, Billy Corgan will forever look like Kirstin Dunst (once unseen cannot be unseen) and James Iha - absolutely oustanding guitarist.

Here's a few blasts from the past ....

One of my uni housemates was quite into the pumpkins and managed to get to this gig, said it was astonishing.

Amusing banter from the Mekon / Voldemort
Jimmy Chimberlain on drums, been through a rough time (usual drink n drugs) but still storming it there

90s rock ftw

• Cheers 3

Dogtania
4 hours ago, Stuey said:

Some of the shit I liked 20 years ago was sappy emo punk stuff so no chance I like that now as a clownlord. Seems strange listening to songs that were huge to you previously but now seem pathetic

It's more the individual songs themselves rather than the artist.... As in the tracks I favoured before not so much now whist ones I didn't give much time appreciate now.  There is loads of guff I don't bother with obviously, no desire to torture feed myself Kylie🙂

Roger_Mellie
On 20/03/2021 at 10:11, Stuey said:

There was a period in the 90s where I literally couldn't go anywhere without hearing Siamese Dream. Everyone I knew played it all the time. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

There was a period in the 90s where I literally couldn't go anywhere without hearing Siamese Dream. Everyone I knew played it all the time. 

Now that's bollocks. It'd be like walking  Thornaby with some shit from Abba blasting

Roger_Mellie
43 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Now that's bollocks. It'd be like walking  Thornaby with some shit from Abba blasting

I have no idea what this meansxD

• Lol 1

13 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I have no idea what this meansxD

Me neither. Clearly potting it up by the Tees didn't improve my writing standard :D

• Lol 1

On 20/03/2021 at 09:10, Caravan Monster said:

I've never seen any obese Aldi staff.

• Agree 2

Caravan Monster
5 minutes ago, jm51 said:

I've never seen any obese Aldi staff.

Local Tesco staff tend to be either youngsters or over fifties that aren't the healthiest looking bunch, many overweight etc. There's quite a contingent of brown ladies in their fifties and sixties with strong accents, many of whom are quite overweight, that continued manning the tills throughout. Expect this would have changed if many got ill. Aldi appear to work their staff hard, those with health problems probably don't last long.

NHS clinical staff:

230 / 622,836 = 0.0003

UK Population:

I suppose if you are an ICU nurse dealing with Covid patients day in day out, then would you be at a higher risk (depending on PPE) than supermarket staff who may come into contact with a COVID person occassionally?

• Agree 1

NHS clinical staff:

230 / 622,836 = 0.0003

UK Population:

don't let maths spoil it, besides everyone knows that 1 NHS life is worth 1,000 private sector worker lives.

Edited by snaga
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 2