DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Painting. Bob Ross

Theboltonfury

I’ve been fascinated by this guy since I was a child. I’ve never ever painted in my life (since school anyway) and decided during lockdown, I’d try. 
I did and here are some of the efforts. You can be as brutal or as disparaging as you like. 

B7563C36-9266-455D-B766-635F85E47ED4.jpeg

F8BC0B57-7C64-4843-8541-8ED90855ADB5.jpeg

Just now, Theboltonfury said:

I’ve been fascinated by this guy since I was a child. I’ve never ever painted in my life (since school anyway) and decided during lockdown, I’d try. 
I did and here are some of the efforts. You can be as brutal or as disparaging as you like. 

8D6B414A-8DDA-4A11-A1FD-AE249DE44702.jpeg

18532A7A-85BE-4CBA-9084-DA9664CE4882.png

• Agree 5
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 3
Theboltonfury
1 minute ago, Theboltonfury said:

557C3729-6915-4B64-9E5D-C4693C9CC08E.jpeg

• Cheers 2
AlfredTheLittle

They're great! (I don't have much critique beyond that, sorry - they genuinely look good). I'm forever planning to give it all up and take up painting, I think it would be a great life, don't need much else if you're into your painting.... I also used to paint as a kid, but haven't picked up a brush in decades.

What paints do you use?

Theboltonfury
6 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

They're great! (I don't have much critique beyond that, sorry - they genuinely look good). I'm forever planning to give it all up and take up painting, I think it would be a great life, don't need much else if you're into your painting.... I also used to paint as a kid, but haven't picked up a brush in decades.

What paints do you use?

Let me confirm to do the wet on wet technique there is no way of getting wound having to buy his brushes and paints. I tried Windsor and Newton paint and brushes first but couldn’t get it.  Then bought Bob Ross oils and his brushes in a set. After watching hours of him, I’m getting better. 

• Informative 1
working woman

Fantastic - they look really good.

My husband loves Bob Ross and watches all his shows. When we go out into the countryside somewhere he always says, "Look it's a Bob Ross landscape, it's full of happy little trees".

• Lol 1
Democorruptcy
2 hours ago, working woman said:

Fantastic - they look really good.

My husband loves Bob Ross and watches all his shows. When we go out into the countryside somewhere he always says, "Look it's a Bob Ross landscape, it's full of happy little trees".

His best tree line is:

"That's a crooked tree. We'll send him to Washington."

• Agree 1
Theboltonfury
5 hours ago, MrPin said:

You are literally Hitler.

I guess I am. Other than the genocide, dictatorial behaviour and general warmongering, there’s nothing between us. 

Libspero

My uninformed “bloke in the pub” opinion is they look really good, especially if you only picked up the brushes in lockdown.

I don’t think they are quite “professional” level yet..  but I think if you decide to keep going you could get there.   

Most good painters seem to focus on a specific style / theme and develop it..  yours seems to be landscapes.  As an observation rather than a criticism, landscapes look good,  but are not that popular with people looking to put something on the wall unless they are, say, beach / seascapes for houses on the coast, or specific areas of natural beauty. 

Not an issue at all if you enjoy painting for paintings sake,  but perhaps something to consider if you ever think about trying to sell some of your work.

Keep it up,  and congratulations on finding a hidden talent 👍

Theboltonfury
8 minutes ago, Libspero said:

My uninformed “bloke in the pub” opinion is they look really good, especially if you only picked up the brushes in lockdown.

I don’t think they are quite “professional” level yet..  but I think if you decide to keep going you could get there.   

Most good painters seem to focus on a specific style / theme and develop it..  yours seems to be landscapes.  As an observation rather than a criticism, landscapes look good,  but are not that popular with people looking to put something on the wall unless they are, say, beach / seascapes for houses on the coast, or specific areas of natural beauty. 

Not an issue at all if you enjoy painting for paintings sake,  but perhaps something to consider if you ever think about trying to sell some of your work.

Keep it up,  and congratulations on finding a hidden talent 👍

I agree with everything you say. 
I think this sort of thing is a bit like chess. In that it’s easy to get quite good quite quickly but incredibly difficult to become great at it. 

The ones that sell are the ones I can’t do right yet. Quaint streams in woods and in particular, seascapes. 

Of the Ross pictures, I can vouch first hand that some are much easier than others. The highlighting process is a nightmare as it takes so much practice to not mix mud. 

• Cheers 1
MrPin

Actually pretty good Mr Bolton. I don't think I could do paintings. Here's one I did earlier on the computer.

smiler.jpg

• Agree 2
Theboltonfury
24 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Actually pretty good Mr Bolton. I don't think I could do paintings. Here's one I did earlier on the computer.

smiler.jpg

That’s Mr Tickle without arms. 

MrPin
2 minutes ago, Theboltonfury said:

That’s Mr Tickle without arms. 

Maybe I should be a surrealist?

spunko

Weirdly the first decent Bob Ross I painted was the first one you posted. I've posted it here before if you can be bothered to find it. If I had to compare I'd say my trees are better than yours (oo-err), but you are definitely more skilled with the pallet knife and your mountains are way better. I bloody hate the pallet knife. Considering they are your first times using oils and wet-on-wet they are very good...

My first attempt was piss poor. I threw it away in disgust. It took me 3-4 goes to get it looking fairly good. This isn't mine but it's the same painting of the most recent one I did.

w77afjdj3et11.jpg

The next one I'm planning to do is the northern lights. You have to paint the canvas black, and then once dry overlay it with various colours.

934c86746fff8a1b762b774f225bc806.jpg

I just wish I had the spare time to do them, or drawing in general which I love. Can't wait to retire...

Edited by spunko
stokiescum
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

smiler.jpg

Ffs no arms.but at least you got the vit c

MrPin
10 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Ffs no arms.but at least you got the vit c

Maybe they are behind his (or hers) back fiddling with buttocks. Something must have inspired me.

• Informative 1
Warlord Velmoth

18 hours ago, Theboltonfury said:

Absolutely gorgeous! I like to draw myself, but my stuff is more digital art and focused around people - never been good with landscapes or backgrounds and never even picked up a brush and worked with canvas and paint. 

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

smiler.jpg

A fine piece of art. In my opinion, it seems to depict the search of happiness from the simplest of moments. The man stands in the light of the sun, smiling at the warmth and content with life. Its clearly something he's used to doing, considering his already established dark tan, perhaps from working long days in the fields of Sicily.

He's happy with his lot in life, and can find happiness in the simplest of tasks because of it. For a single, precious moment, after the hard work of the day is done and his limbs are aching from the effort, he feels the warmth of the bright sun on his back and smiles, because in that time the fields and landscape around him seem to vanish, leaving him only a comforting heat on his back and the rest of a fine day to enjoy himself as he sees fit as he walks away.

Much the way professional art critics must feel when they get paid real money to drivel out a bunch of pointless, obnoxious shite.

Edited by Warlord Velmoth
  • Lol 2
Theboltonfury
2 hours ago, spunko said:

Weirdly the first decent Bob Ross I painted was the first one you posted. I've posted it here before if you can be bothered to find it. If I had to compare I'd say my trees are better than yours (oo-err), but you are definitely more skilled with the pallet knife and your mountains are way better. I bloody hate the pallet knife. Considering they are your first times using oils and wet-on-wet they are very good...

My first attempt was piss poor. I threw it away in disgust. It took me 3-4 goes to get it looking fairly good. This isn't mine but it's the same painting of the most recent one I did.

w77afjdj3et11.jpg

The next one I'm planning to do is the northern lights. You have to paint the canvas black, and then once dry overlay it with various colours.

934c86746fff8a1b762b774f225bc806.jpg

I just wish I had the spare time to do them, or drawing in general which I love. Can't wait to retire...

The Grandeur of Summer. 
I know what you mean about throwing a canvass away in disgust. It’s the perfect explanation. The feeling that you have taken something to such a stage of mud that it’s beyond repair and an almost internal rage suddenly takes over and down the side of the house it goes. 

I like your trees. Have to say mine are improving fast. Adding the light green highlights and bushes have been at times almost impossible. It still won’t stick properly. I’ve tried liquid white (makes a horrible sickly light green), thinner and a range of brushes. I’ve finally had some success with loading the paint very carefully and experimenting with pressure, and by adding blue in the tree mix, you’ll get green anyway. 

i seem to be a dab hand with a knife but it’s about having his paint. It’s really thick. The thinner ones just won’t work - trust me I’ve tried. 

good luck and keep at it. Half the battle is getting the stuff out and the rest is easy if you expect it’s going to be shit and prepare to occasionally be surprised 

spunko
19 minutes ago, Theboltonfury said:

The Grandeur of Summer. 
I know what you mean about throwing a canvass away in disgust. It’s the perfect explanation. The feeling that you have taken something to such a stage of mud that it’s beyond repair and an almost internal rage suddenly takes over and down the side of the house it goes. 

I like your trees. Have to say mine are improving fast. Adding the light green highlights and bushes have been at times almost impossible. It still won’t stick properly. I’ve tried liquid white (makes a horrible sickly light green), thinner and a range of brushes. I’ve finally had some success with loading the paint very carefully and experimenting with pressure, and by adding blue in the tree mix, you’ll get green anyway. 

i seem to be a dab hand with a knife but it’s about having his paint. It’s really thick. The thinner ones just won’t work - trust me I’ve tried. 

good luck and keep at it. Half the battle is getting the stuff out and the rest is easy if you expect it’s going to be shit and prepare to occasionally be surprised 

The skill of Bob Ross as with any good painter is making it look easy. Even though it is fairly easy compared to regular oils, if you watch his placement of the brush on the canvas it is always 100% dead accurate. Placing the brush even 1mm either way would look wrong on the finished article.

A lot of things he never points out, probably to avoid confusing the layman. For example the way he loads the brush with 2x colours on either side (left and right) of the bristles; if you watch him paint tree trunks he always does this e.g. lighter tone of brown on the left, darker tone of brown on the right etc. He will tell the viewer that he needs to apply white to the non-shaded side but before he does that his tree trunks are never solid colour. If you watch it again you'll see what I mean.

Edited by spunko
spunko

Worth pointing out that if you Google Bob Ross paintings he does all sorts of styles including flowers and photorealistic landscapes too like this:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/bob-ross-alaska-nature.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Warlord Velmoth
3 minutes ago, spunko said:

Worth pointing out that if you Google Bob Ross paintings he does all sorts of styles including flowers and photorealistic landscapes too like this:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/bob-ross-alaska-nature.jpg

Just boggles the mind that you can get that much detail out of a paintbrush. Looks like you could convert it to high definition to see the ventation patterns on the leaves like an old film photograph. I'd like to see that overrated Banksy cunt pull something like this off.

• Agree 1
Theboltonfury
51 minutes ago, spunko said:

He always goes on that he was a traditional painter. This looks like it’s his usual style though just with more time available. 

Warlord Velmoth

I'm quite happy with this explosion I just did. The rest is still a work in progress...:

sit__unfinished__by_roadkill3692_degqfpe

Warlord Velmoth

I'll be the first to admit I'm no Bob Ross by any means. But did he ever draw a wank-bot? Or a kitty with a laser eye?

the_future_is_grotty__complete__by_roadk