DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Utopia - anyone watched this?

Southmartin

MrLibertyRedux
7 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Seems a bit.. er... 'contemporary' 

Not seen it.

Watch the the original UK version first, it's fucking brilliant.

Edited by MrLibertyRedux
spellink
  • Agree 3
  • Cheers 2

Caravan Monster

Not seen the new one, but the 2014? UK one was a bit full on and also rather prescient, Russian Flu and vaccines xD

Edited by Caravan Monster
  • Agree 1

Just watched the first episode. In style terms it's probably most similar to the series "Preacher". There are more than a few similarities.

It starts out seeming like it's a show for teenagers and seems a bit tedious.

There's a sequence near the end of the first episode, as the action ramps up, that had me in fits of giggles.

Irreverent is probably the word. It doesn't seem like it's going to transform into a gritty drama but is intriguing enough to continue with.

• Informative 1

15 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Just watched the first episode. In style terms it's probably most similar to the series "Preacher". There are more than a few similarities.

It starts out seeming like it's a show for teenagers and seems a bit tedious.

There's a sequence near the end of the first episode, as the action ramps up, that had me in fits of giggles.

Irreverent is probably the word. It doesn't seem like it's going to transform into a gritty drama but is intriguing enough to continue with.

Which you watching ?

I've just watched episode 1 of US one. Not too bad but no patch on the UK one. 

The UK one is amazing. Up there with Gomorrah, breaking bad, sopranos etc..imo

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

It's the American one. Partner seems to think he saw something very similar on channel 4 years ago which might be the UK version?

We're up to episode 4 or 5 now. Not sure which and that's the point.

Like "Preacher" there's a tightly plotted funny first episode and then it regresses into the usual slow story development which you know is going to go on forever. Two minutes of story development in fifty minutes of TV.

It probably doesn't help that the transition from the slapstick to the serious doesn't really come off, and the characters aren't particularly engaging.

Partner is able to watch these things but I think I shall leave him to it and go to bed.

10 hours ago, DTMark said:

It's the American one. Partner seems to think he saw something very similar on channel 4 years ago which might be the UK version?

Watch the UK one. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, DTMark said:

We're up to episode 4 or 5 now. Not sure which and that's the point.

Like "Preacher" there's a tightly plotted funny first episode and then it regresses into the usual slow story development which you know is going to go on forever. Two minutes of story development in fifty minutes of TV.

It probably doesn't help that the transition from the slapstick to the serious doesn't really come off, and the characters aren't particularly engaging.

Partner is able to watch these things but I think I shall leave him to it and go to bed.

If you watch the US one first then the UK one I think it may spoil it. 

As the UK one is so much better but you will know the story already. 

On final episode of UK one.

Must watch. Everyone must. 

Its like a script for much of what's going on but in an overly dramatic manner of course. 

So many of the quotes you are looking at the TV thinking what the actual fuck have I just clicked over to BBC by accident O.oxD

• Agree 2

On 21/03/2021 at 21:53, ccc said:

The UK one is amazing. Up there with Gomorrah, breaking bad, sopranos etc..imo

High praise indeed.

5 minutes ago, GARCH said:

High praise indeed.

Maybe more due to its relevance. 

But I thought it was brilliant before all this pish too. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ccc said:

Maybe more due to its relevance. 

But I thought it was brilliant before all this pish too. 

You seen Fauda?  One I’ve had on my list for a while.

Lightly Toasted

Just finished the first season, I generally have low expectations of British TV drama (too much of an old-girls' network for effort/talent to be rewarded, I suspect ;)) but this was an exception.

• Agree 1

Hail the Tripod

It’s included on Amazon Prime video.

I’ve just finished episode 2. Very weird and creepy. Compelling though. Seems like the sort of show that’ll only really make sense after you’ve watched the whole thing a few times.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

It’s included on Amazon Prime video.

I’ve just finished episode 2. Very weird and creepy. Compelling though. Seems like the sort of show that’ll only really make sense after you’ve watched the whole thing a few times.

Thanks. We have the Italian Prime which only has the American version. Although it is only 4 euros a month. However we are planning a free trial of the UK one soon and making a list of stuff to blitz our way through in 30 days.

Hail the Tripod
Just now, DTMark said:

Thanks. We have the Italian Prime which only has the American version. Although it is only 4 euros a month. However we are planning a free trial of the UK one soon and making a list of stuff to blitz our way through in 30 days.

You can’t just VPN to access the U.K. catalogue like you can with Netflix?

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

Vpn seem to work ok for swapping location. Mine can be iffy but generally thinks where my Vpn says I am.

#Barlinnie

33 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

You can’t just VPN to access the U.K. catalogue like you can with Netflix?

I think the UK version is served as amazon.co.uk but outside the UK as primevideo.com so they have thought of that one and tied the login to the catalogue to the URL. I shall try..

• Informative 1