• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

20 years ago Diana died

I failed to notice at the time..... (honest, I was overseas and the entire orgy of public grief & manipulation of the masses thankfully passed me by). The shameless manipulation of the public by Blair should be a case study in whatever institution teaches these fuckers their dark arts. This could have been a time to have a mature & reasoned debate about the future of the monarchy. Instead they wheeled out the children (front and centre), and the firm rolled on into another century.

It was my first major disconnect from the mainstream narrative.

When I see stuff about it now, and how we were a nation in mourning, and everybody felt the same, I remember how it actually was:

A small number of nut jobs going crazy in public about somebody they didn't really know, while most people just shrugged and got on with it.

Crazy.

I had been to Cardiff that night on the pull - failed. It was a lovely night. The air was just right in terms of warmth.

I drove back to Swansea, called into a kebab shop in Bridgend on the way and bought myself a chili sauce donner kebab. Drove a few miles to Ogmore beach car-park and started eating my kebab. It was a very good kebab. Loads of cars parked nearby with others more successful than I in the pulling stakes... or the kebab shop had been busy that night.

Fivelive had a discussion panel on rabbitting on about something. A report came in that Diana had been in a car accident. Someone one the panel made a pretty vicious remark about her. Can't remember exactly what was said but it struck me how callous it was - I suspect that it later got erased for all time. It was clear from the first report, think it was about 2 in the morning, that something very serious had happened. Hearing it I knew that she was dead.

I was released from hospital the day before she died, and was lying paralysed down one side after a brain haemorrhage. I will never forget how all of the TV channels showed nothing else for weeks. This may have been where the first steps of my journey towards cynicism were taken.

I will never forgive her for ruining my recovery.

I think people forget how mercilessly shows took the piss out of her.  She was always five minutes' worth on Have I Got News For You; absolute bloody laughing stock.  Who's she shagging this week?

Then suddenly she gained sainthood through dying next to her cokehead current boyfriend and Ian Hislop had to come up with some new material.

There are some shows that are unlikely to be repeated any time soon.

I was cutting it fine going to a Fulham game and was at the turnstile to find I was being ignored.  Minute's silence.  This was when Fayed was chairman.

I was working in the City the week after she died and staying in a grotty Paddington B&B. So I went for a walk to Kensington Palace one night to have a look around. It was quite a sight - thousands of people, thousands of candles. The atmosphere was serene. The only place that I have felt similar was in Lourdes.

Fascinating to see how people responded and the collective atmosphere that was created.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I was working in the City the week after she died and staying in a grotty Paddington B&B. So I went for a walk to Kensington Palace one night to have a look around. It was quite a sight - thousands of people, thousands of candles. The atmosphere was serene. The only place that I have felt similar was in Lourdes.

Fascinating to see how people responded and the collective atmosphere that was created.

My memory is that a large part of the population lost their minds 

fairly fit woman dies young was sad, the reaction was nuts 

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I didn't feel anything except a massive disconnect from wht I was being told to feel, what everyone else was feeling and how I felt about the queen of hearts death. We need to remember this atmosphere of mourning and reverence and then compare it to how the nation reacted to the murder of 22 concert goers in Manchester.

Just now, Shaneyson said:

I didn't feel anything except a massive disconnect from wht I was being told to feel, what everyone else was feeling and how I felt about the queen of hearts death. We need to remember this atmosphere of mourning and reverence and then compare it to how the nation reacted to the murder of 22 concert goers in Manchester.

Good point, well made. Shows how easily the population can be manipulated. 

The truth of the matter is that she was riding the cock carousel herself - just a much higher version of it than the average POFer does. I felt that the men she chose to allegedly, ahem, 'date' weren't lookers but mainly blokes with money.

She seemed to like a type - slightly brown blokes, the rugger bugger aside, of a Middle Eastern heritage. Did she pursue them or did they pursue her whilst Western men generally avoided her like the plague? Or did the Alphaness of the Middle Eastern types rock her boat?

I was on holiday back in Cornwall when it happened, always pleased to get out of London, and wtaching the 1pm news they covered the tributes at Buckingham Palace whereupon my frankly mental housekeeper at work was on and ranting at the camera "The media killed Princess Diana!".  I couldn't get away from work even in Cornwall, and I noted he was still wearing his musty work suit at the weekend.

This was also the guy who I may have posted about before who, thinking he had won the Canadian lottery, told the MD where he could stick his job and walked out inviting everyone down the pub.  His mate the security guard finally managed to get a view of the winning notification he was waving about.  Turned out to be a "look what you could win".  Lost his job (we all contributed heavily to a collection for him but he probably pissed it all up in a night), sectioned by his pub landlord, I bumped into him once at Ascot where he seemed fine and was still wearing that suit, sadly dead in five years.  Very entertaining bloke.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The truth of the matter is that she was riding the cock carousel herself - just a much higher version of it than the average POFer does. I felt that the men she chose to allegedly, ahem, 'date' weren't lookers but mainly blokes with money.

She seemed to like a type - slightly brown blokes, the rugger bugger aside, of a Middle Eastern heritage. Did she pursue them or did they pursue her whilst Western men generally avoided her like the plague? Or did the Alphaness of the Middle Eastern types rock her boat?

I think she thought she was being "naughty" and loved the attention.  I can't get excited about it but I think the tunnel accident probably was a deliberate hit to stop the circus before it got even worse.

15 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

It was my first major disconnect from the mainstream narrative.

When I see stuff about it now, and how we were a nation in mourning, and everybody felt the same, I remember how it actually was:

A small number of nut jobs going crazy in public about somebody they didn't really know, while most people just shrugged and got on with it.

Crazy.

I was in a house with my so called burd and the so called drummer from my band.

They were both so consumed with grief that they went to SW London to make sure everyone knew how affected they were. I stayed at home and watched a MOTD rerun on VHS or something.

I believe they are now an item in the East Sussex area.

Queen of Hearts.

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Lineker said she was trouble. About the only thing he ever got right.

Out of curiosity me and a mate walked down to Buckingham Palace the day of her death. It was like being in a zombie film surrounded by the un-dead!

I saw Diana a few months earlier. She was walking down Kings Road wearing a big coat and sunglasses - shit attempt at being incognito.

Edit: Thinking back it reminds me of how much I enjoyed London in the mid 90's.

Edited by OurDayWillCome

18 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Out of curiosity me and a mate walked down to Buckingham Palace the day of her death. It was like being in a zombie film surrounded by the un-dead!

I saw Diana a few months earlier. She was walking down Kings Road wearing a big coat and sunglasses - shit attempt at being incognito.

Edit: Thinking back it reminds me of how much I enjoyed London in the mid 90's.

That Summer I had been working in a bank in the City. I was miserable there. I would go to Knightsbridge KFC, buy a chicken meal and sit in Hyde Park eating it. Surprising how few people would be in that park of an evening.

One night I was sat nearer to the Kensington side munching away with no one else in sight. I then noticed, in the distance, a blonde lady walking towards me. She did look nice and I like blondes. So I glanced up but didn't really fixate on her. A slightly tanned bloke then appeared walking behind and towards her. He was calling out to her and she would not stop. He grabbed her by one arm causing her to turn around and face him.

They then had what was obviously a couple 'discussion'.

I still didn't really take much notice. My KFC was tasty and I was hungry and miserable in London.

I then noticed a police van pull up some distance behind the couple. Other cops began appearing and they basically, keeping a polite distance, formed a few small groups 50 or so yards from the couple. The penny dropped who it was.

A few weeks later they both were dead.