• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

201p

Hmm. What do you think - Leadership and Developing Diversity and Inclusion

Recommended Posts

One of the great challenges facing organizations is getting all employees, from the CEO to the hourly workers, to realize that to become the best, they have to embrace diversity.

Diversity also means to create inclusion — creating an atmosphere in which all people feel valued, respected and have the same opportunities as others.

Thus, you might say that diversity is creating opportunity, value, and respect for all, while inclusion is ensuring they actually feel it.

Why Must We Embrace Diversity?

Diversity is about empowering people. It makes an organization effective by capitalizing on all of the strengths of each employee. It is not EEO or Affirmative Action. These are laws and policies. While on the other hand, diversity is understanding, valuing, and using the differences in every person.

Simply enforcing government regulations will not get you to the best. To obtain that competitive edge, you need to grow your work-force from groups into teams that use the full potential of every individual. Teams are much more than a group. A group is collection of individuals where each person is working towards his or her own goal, while a team is a collection of individuals working towards a common goal or vision.

This helps to create a synergy effect with teams . . . that is, one plus one equals more than one. An individual, acting alone, can accomplish a lot; but a group of people acting together in a unified force can accomplish great wonders. This is because team members understand each other and support each other in a manner that everyone feels inclusion. Their main goal is to see the team accomplish its mission. Personal agendas do not get in the way of the team's goal. By using the synergy effect of teams, you create a competitive advantage over other organizations who are using people acting alone. You are getting more for your efforts!

 

It continues:

http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/diverse.html

 

---

Now is this consensus wrong? Or is the Alt Right movement wrong? Are we not including people enough in Europe - and this is why we get extremism and terrorist attacks? Will extremists ever be converted to live peacefully if inclusion was adopted. Can religion be moderated by diversity and inclusion policies?

Who is right? Why is identity politics at the forefront of everything in 2017?

Edited by 201p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Next time they have a round robin on diversity and you're meant to come out with some diversity programme, try suggesting the compnay recruits child sex offenders from prison.

Or that the cleaner takes over as CEO for a week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh? Diversity is our strength! but only when we don't work as individuals but work as a group....

Quote

group
NOUN

1treated as singular or plural A number of people or things that are located, gathered, or classed together.
‘a group of boys approached’
‘the bulbs should be planted in groups’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.1 A number of people that work together or share certain beliefs.
‘I now belong to my local drama group’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.2 A commercial organization consisting of several companies under common ownership.
‘the largest newspaper group in the UK’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.3 A number of musicians who play popular music together.
‘I've always been a fan of the guitarists in the group’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.4Military A division of an air force, usually consisting of two or more stations.
1.5Art Two or more figures or objects forming a design.
Example sentences
2Chemistry 
treated as singular or plural A set of elements occupying a column in the periodic table and having broadly similar properties arising from their similar electronic structure.
Example sentences
2.1 A combination of atoms having a recognizable identity in a number of compounds.
‘a methyl group’
More example sentences
3Mathematics 
treated as singular or plural A set of elements, together with an associative binary operation, which contains an inverse for each element and an identity element.
Example sentences
4Linguistics 
treated as singular or plural (in systemic grammar) a level of structure between clause and word, broadly corresponding to phrase in other grammars.
Example sentences
VERB

1with object and adverbial Put in a group or groups.
‘three chairs were grouped around a table’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.1 Put into categories; classify.
‘molluscs are grouped into seven different classes’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.2no object, with adverbial Form a group or groups.
‘growers began to group together to form cooperatives’
More example sentencesSynonyms

Diverse ...

Quote

diverse
Pronunciation /ˈdʌɪvəːs//dʌɪˈvəːs/

ADJECTIVE

Showing a great deal of variety; very different.
‘a culturally diverse population’
‘subjects as diverse as architecture, language teaching, and the physical sciences’
More example sentencesSynonyms

These people are fucking insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 201p said:
Did we train too many people in social studies?

Yes, I rather think we did. The number of people studying bullshit has been vastly expanded. I suppose this is inevitable when government policy is that people who are not very bright should get degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 201p said:

One of the great challenges facing organizations is getting all employees, from the CEO to the hourly workers, to realize that to become the best, they have to embrace diversity.

Diversity also means to create inclusion — creating an atmosphere in which all people feel valued, respected and have the same opportunities as others.

Thus, you might say that diversity is creating opportunity, value, and respect for all, while inclusion is ensuring they actually feel it.

Why Must We Embrace Diversity?

Diversity is about empowering people. It makes an organization effective by capitalizing on all of the strengths of each employee. It is not EEO or Affirmative Action. These are laws and policies. While on the other hand, diversity is understanding, valuing, and using the differences in every person.

Simply enforcing government regulations will not get you to the best. To obtain that competitive edge, you need to grow your work-force from groups into teams that use the full potential of every individual. Teams are much more than a group. A group is collection of individuals where each person is working towards his or her own goal, while a team is a collection of individuals working towards a common goal or vision.

This helps to create a synergy effect with teams . . . that is, one plus one equals more than one. An individual, acting alone, can accomplish a lot; but a group of people acting together in a unified force can accomplish great wonders. This is because team members understand each other and support each other in a manner that everyone feels inclusion. Their main goal is to see the team accomplish its mission. Personal agendas do not get in the way of the team's goal. By using the synergy effect of teams, you create a competitive advantage over other organizations who are using people acting alone. You are getting more for your efforts!

 

Fuck me.

That's one of the finest bits of 'bullshit bingo' I've ever set eyes upon.

I love the English language and it genuinely pains me to see used to create such prolix, mindless bollocks.

Orwell must be hitting about 3000 rpm in his grave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is - even in the most diverse inclusive team, you'll always have one "baddie" that is out for themselves who will never change.

Think about "Lost in Space". You have different people on the spaceship - but it is always the Doctor that messes it up, puts the whole ship in danger, in every episode because, he is either greedy, or out for himself.

Cast-ftr2.jpg&f=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think diversity is OK - but people should be selected on their ability rather than selected because the diversity boxes are ticked. I think most reasonable people understand this. But identity politics must be a multi-billion dollar industry now - you could fill libraries with this stuff about synergy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is diverse. This still applies if everyone in the team has the same skin colour. 

So the text in the OP applies to all teams everywhere anyway. The expression "reinventing the wheel" springs to mind.

In a team, you want a variety of experiences. Within the realm of the job itself or related areas.

This need not imply different skin colours, genders, nor religions.

The ethnicities and genders of the team members and the religions that they voluntarily choose to ascribe to outside of working hours are their concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Fuck me.

That's one of the finest bits of 'bullshit bingo' I've ever set eyes upon.

I love the English language and it genuinely pains me to see used to create such prolix, mindless bollocks.

Orwell must be hitting about 3000 rpm in his grave.

Couldn't have put it finer myself.

Utter. Fucking. Bullshit.

I hate this affirmative action mindthink. It's utter fucking CRAP.

I would chose the best person for the job, based on skills, ability, potential, track record - and I would expect to be chosen on that basis. To not do so is insulting to the person who might be picked for a role over a better-qualified candidate (remember 'Token' from south park!) and discriminatory against the person who wasn't chosen when 'diversity' (whatever the  fuck that means. We've had diversity since the 70s. There is even less discrimination now ffs). Stop trying to see offence and slight where there is none.

God I hate PC bullshit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, sorry to 'bang on' about it, but as I would be classified as a 'ethnic minority' (well, mixed race), I fucking hate this diversity and bending over backwards (oo-er) to not offend pre-conceived and (ironically prejudiced) ideas. 

Maybe it's my fucking Aspergers or something kicking in, but I see people as skills and potential. Not fucking different containers with different paint on them. I've been involved in recruitment and I don't give a flying fuck about the persons religion or ethnicity or sexuality. As long as they can do the job, do it efficiently, effectively, not be a total douche, be a 'team player' and generally not be a fucking pain in the arse to be around, they get the job. 

Anything else is just so much dogshit. That's an apt description - as I had to scrape off and wash some really fucking foul smelling dog shit off my youngest daughters trainers the other day after we went for a run ... and some selfish cunt had left their dog shit not cleared up. It really stunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DTMark said:

In a team, you want a variety of experiences. Within the realm of the job itself or related areas.

I agree broadly with the sentiment of your post,  but I'm not sure that variety for variety's sake is necessarily important.  What I would have thought you would actually want is simply the maximum combined competence/experience possible,  plus a team that are similar enough in their view to focus on the objective without being distracted and most importantly are motivated and just get on with the job.

Also, in a business environment I find it very rare that teams are ever actually run by joint consensus/committee of inputting ideas and agreeing the best course of action. In my experience 99% of the time the most experienced person leads a team and calls all the shots..  and that's usually why they are on a higher pay grade. As a system that seems to work pretty well as you always have an arbitrator/decision maker to ensure things don't get bogged down or sidetracked by unimportant details.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JFK said:

You know, sorry to 'bang on' about it, but as I would be classified as a 'ethnic minority' (well, mixed race), I fucking hate this diversity and bending over backwards (oo-er) to not offend pre-conceived and (ironically prejudiced) ideas. 

Maybe it's my fucking Aspergers or something kicking in, but I see people as skills and potential. Not fucking different containers with different paint on them. I've been involved in recruitment and I don't give a flying fuck about the persons religion or ethnicity or sexuality. As long as they can do the job, do it efficiently, effectively, not be a total douche, be a 'team player' and generally not be a fucking pain in the arse to be around, they get the job. 

Anything else is just so much dogshit. That's an apt description - as I had to scrape off and wash some really fucking foul smelling dog shit off my youngest daughters trainers the other day after we went for a run ... and some selfish cunt had left their dog shit not cleared up. It really stunk.

Thank you. You are very brave. We like to hear your input.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.