DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Well done Jersey

sarahbell

sarahbell

We’re reopening.

Dreaming of a long lazy holiday? Rebalance closer to home this summer. The sunniest spot in the British Isles is on your doorstep, so come up for air in the island break. From 26 April we’ll be able to start welcoming back visitors from the UK and Crown Dependencies again.

Jersey falls within the UK’s Common Travel Area. You do not need to complete the UK Government Travel Declaration Form for travel to the island.

• Agree 3

King Penda

I thought about the isle of white it’s over the sea it’s white and I should be able to understand the lingo.for some where more exotic I thought Cornwall I will do my best to break through the language barrier

• Lol 1

Jersey used to be a tourist hotspot before cheap travel. Funny how these things go in cycles.

I can see places like Blackpool making a big come back also.

• Agree 1

My other issue is the £5K fine for going abroad that is written in law, suggests we're in this for the long(er) haul.

I am sorry for people who have just retired and looking forward for a retirement of travelling and seeing the world.

Pre-pandemic was a golden time for travel - cheap, and you could go anywhere at short notice. I hope I am wrong.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, 201p said:

My other issue is the £5K fine for going abroad that is written in law, suggests we're in this for the long(er) haul.

I am sorry for people who have just retired and looking forward for a retirement of travelling and seeing the world.

Pre-pandemic was a golden time for travel - cheap, and you could go anywhere at short notice. I hope I am wrong.

House hunting is an easy get out. 

• Agree 2

Wight Flight
28 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I thought about the isle of white it’s over the sea it’s white and I should be able to understand the lingo.for some where more exotic I thought Cornwall I will do my best to break through the language barrier

Best you learn how to spell Wight. People have been hanged for that.

Oh - and fuck off. We're full.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, ccc said:

House hunting is an easy get out. 

I'd make sure you book an appointment with an EA at the other end :)

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

We used to go to Jersey on an annual basis via the ferry, as we'd prefer not to go where crowds go - I guess we'll have to choose somewhere else now :) 

If you want a cheapish hotel, I've stayed at the Beachcombers and the Ambassador. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

King Penda
14 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

That one was deliberately spelt incorrect 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Yeah I can tell - I cycle past the ferry terminal, mainland side. Last summer it was heaving, cars were queuing out on to the road. It'll probably be heaving again this summer.

Methinks you need to come up with an Isle Of Wight Deadly Variant to scare off tourists.

• Lol 1

Wight Flight
15 minutes ago, 201p said:

We used to go to Jersey on an annual basis via the ferry, as we'd prefer not to go where crowds go - I guess we'll have to choose somewhere else now :) 

If you want a cheapish hotel, I've stayed at the Beachcombers and the Ambassador. 

I prefer Guernsey via Aurigny Airlines.

But then again we were Pontins rather than Butlins people.

• Informative 1

Things to do in Jersey. There's a fair bit on https://www.jersey.com/see-and-do

You could bring your own car using the ferry (that's what we did). Or fly out there and hire a car.

We have done ---

1. Jersey Zoo

2. There's lots of beaches, fish and chips and ice cream stops. Try the Jersey cow Ice Cream

3. Visit Elizabeth Castle - it is walkable from the beach. Or use the amphibious bus. 

4. St Catherine's Breakwater. Bring your fishing gear if you like that kind of thing.

5. Walk out to La Corbière lighthouse.

6. St Heiler is the capital - if you like shopping, drinking, eating, there's plenty here.

There used to be a coin shop on the island that sold silver Maples - it is closed now sadly! Jersey has changed a lot over ten years - there used to be a Jersey Goldsmiths where the Bergerac car was. 

There are also ferries to Sark and Herm (we've not done this). Guernsey might be worth visiting, but Jersey has much more to do. 

This is their local news

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/

Wight Flight
35 minutes ago, 201p said:

Things to do in Jersey. There's a fair bit on https://www.jersey.com/see-and-do

You could bring your own car using the ferry (that's what we did). Or fly out there and hire a car.

We have done ---

1. Jersey Zoo

2. There's lots of beaches, fish and chips and ice cream stops. Try the Jersey cow Ice Cream

3. Visit Elizabeth Castle - it is walkable from the beach. Or use the amphibious bus. 

4. St Catherine's Breakwater. Bring your fishing gear if you like that kind of thing.

5. Walk out to La Corbière lighthouse.

6. St Heiler is the capital - if you like shopping, drinking, eating, there's plenty here.

There used to be a coin shop on the island that sold silver Maples - it is closed now sadly! Jersey has changed a lot over ten years - there used to be a Jersey Goldsmiths where the Bergerac car was. 

There are also ferries to Sark and Herm (we've not done this). Guernsey might be worth visiting, but Jersey has much more to do. 

This is their local news

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/

Guernsey has...

The shell Church.

The underground hospital.

And possibly some other stuff. Haven't been for a while.

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Hung.

I thought you would of known that.

• Lol 4

swiss_democracy_for_all

Jersey and Guernsey will close again at the drop of a hat if there is the slightest problem. A few cases amongst young people will be enough to close the island down, that's how they roll.

Just sayin.....

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Jersey and Guernsey will close again at the drop of a hat if there is the slightest problem. A few cases amongst young people will be enough to close the island down, that's how they roll.

Just sayin.....

Guernsey was fully open at Christmas. Got two cases and went for a three month lockdown.

I can't see them welcoming tourists with open arms.

Alonso Quijano

How our relatively covid-free Bailiwick islands react to the holiday at home opportunity will be interesting.

Whilst a resurgence in UK holidays would be good, the uncertainty and lack of income from which to invest will likely hamper them. Weather aside, people are in dire need of escape.

sarahbell
9 hours ago, maynardgravy said:

All I can remember on my '93 tour of J&G is getting violently drunk and having to play hung over on TV:

NYJO 1993 Guernsey - YouTube

I'm in a close-up at 3.09 if anyone is interested..... oh my wasted youth.

That's fabulous

• Cheers 1