DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Camping nightmare

King Penda

King Penda

Has I’m not paying for anything yet in case it’s cancled or pointless.but a friend says most campsites are letting caravaners have camping pitches for tents with electric hook up. And those left are saying you’ve got to take your own porta loo and toilet tent . What a cluster fuck if it’s true.remind me why are people haveing the jab and another year of my life stolen for fucking flu

Edited by stokiescum
  • Agree 5
  • Informative 1

Wight Flight
12 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Has I’m not paying for anything yet in case it’s cancled or pointless.but a friend says most campsites are letting caravaners have camping pitches for tents with electric hook up. And those left are saying you’ve got to take your own porta loo and toilet tent . What a cluster fuck if it’s true.remind me why are people haveing the jab and another year of my life stolen for fucking flu

Oddly I don't think we are full.

Nodes Point is a good site in a good location.

https://www.parkdeanresorts.co.uk/book-your-holiday/choose-your-accommodation/?schKey=6&product=850&holiday-area=4|19&holiday-month=2021|7&holiday-nights=7&holiday-dates=2021-7-9&holiday-pets=0&holiday-unit-type=65536&adults=1&children=3

• Agree 1

King Penda
8 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Aren't there any of those free dog poo bag dispensers in your area?

Might get nabbed if I give it a go.I’d hang on a curl a turd off in a neighbours portaloo can’t see has its classed has a criminal offence.I wonder if the price of trailers has shot up

King Penda
3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

No idea where he is looking another x messaged and relayed her brothers messaged and said tell him to book up.first 3 places he tried all gone unless he is trying get away at easter

ILikeCake
38 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read something similar on a campervan forum a couple of days ago.

• Informative 1

The Grey Man

I was worried last August we would not get a place to camp with tents. We went to the Shropshire Hills and near Cardigan.

Both were farms and out of the way. They had a handful of electric hook ups. The rest of the sites were what I assumed were just grazing fields. 

No way on earth they could switch the tent parts to electric hook ups in a year. I would repeat, pretty much fields with a portacabin loo. 

We neednt have worried. Plenty of space. Similar plan this year and avoid the obvious places. Do expect it to be busier but for newbies...a tent..a field and a portacabin are a bit rough...so they tend to stay away unless right next to a beach.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

49 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Just find a grassy knoll somewhere with a bush nearby, didn't think you were posh. At my mates graduation at uni they were too skint for a b&b after the Aberystwyth train fare so camped on the uni grounds out of the way

Edited by Stuey
  • Lol 1

The big campsites are probably doing this.  

But smaller ones will have planning permission restrictions that will disallow this sort of mucking about.

You might imagine that lots of farmers will be putting in a few 'wild camping' style fields this summer -- using permitted development rules (28 days max IIRC) -- just put in water and perhaps a 'straw toilet' or two and they'll come in their droves (because there's nowhere else to go).

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

OurDayWillCome
1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

Lucky for me I got the whole chem/pop-up shit tardis in January last year. When the campsites reopened it was great! Hook-ups were taken, but the rest of the campsite was empty - most people with tents didn’t have the shitting facilities. I suspect most people have now invested in the necessary shit-kit. A campsite full of makeshift shit-houses - that will be fun!

• Cheers 2

King Penda
47 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I was worried last August we would not get a place to camp with tents. We went to the Shropshire Hills and near Cardigan.

Both were farms and out of the way. They had a handful of electric hook ups. The rest of the sites were what I assumed were just grazing fields. 

No way on earth they could switch the tent parts to electric hook ups in a year. I would repeat, pretty much fields with a portacabin loo. 

We neednt have worried. Plenty of space. Similar plan this year and avoid the obvious places. Do expect it to be busier but for newbies...a tent..a field and a portacabin are a bit rough...so they tend to stay away unless right next to a beach.

Well they could they won’t need to tarcmac them for just a few weeks or season .my tents bigger than most caravans anyway.I might go quiet local  will be cheap off the beaten track and if the kids don’t like it or the weathers shit not long to get home .Alton towers might open soon for a visit and if the weathers good can shoot of to the coast for a day out so maybe somewhere like the Derbyshire or staffs moorlands for 3/5 days and see how things go for further afield later in the year 

King Penda
37 minutes ago, dgul said:

The big campsites are probably doing this.  

But smaller ones will have planning permission restrictions that will disallow this sort of mucking about.

You might imagine that lots of farmers will be putting in a few 'wild camping' style fields this summer -- using permitted development rules (28 days max IIRC) -- just put in water and perhaps a 'straw toilet' or two and they'll come in their droves (because there's nowhere else to go).

I do know lots of farmers but not seen any of them for ages 

The Masked Tulip

Are campsites prioritising the Caravan Club membership lot? I would have thought that all the camper vans and caravans that usually head across the Channel would be filling UK campsites this year.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

King Penda
7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Are campsites prioritising the Caravan Club membership lot? I would have thought that all the camper vans and caravans that usually head across the Channel would be filling UK campsites this year.

No idea but I’d not thought of that maybe I’ve been informed incorrectly. The electric is the important bit and geting the kids out for a bit .I’m not fussed if we only go ten miles away 10 miles or 250 a 2 year old kid won’t know the difference .if it’s sunny a day trip to the coast from where we are camping at

• Cheers 2

The Masked Tulip
3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

No idea but I’d not thought of that maybe I’ve been informed incorrectly. The electric is the important bit and geting the kids out for a bit .I’m not fussed if we only go ten miles away 10 miles or 250 a 2 year old kid won’t know the difference .if it’s sunny a day trip to the coast from where we are camping at

Have a look here.

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/

• Cheers 1

Libspero
7 hours ago, stokiescum said:

The electric is the important bit and geting the kids out for a bit .I’m not fussed if we only go ten miles away 10 miles or 250 a 2 year old kid won’t know the difference

Admittedly,  I’m a bit out of touch with the idea of Glastonbury tent-city style camping holidays..   but surely a week in a travelodge is going to be a similar price, more comfortable and less ball-ache than splashing about in the mud for a week? o.O

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, Libspero said:

Admittedly,  I’m a bit out of touch with the idea of Glastonbury tent-city style camping holidays..   but surely a week in a travelodge is going to be a similar price, more comfortable and less ball-ache than splashing about in the mud for a week? o.O

I think a camping holiday is all about the camping.

• Agree 2

Libspero
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

I think that’s why I don’t understand modern camping.  

Then there’s glamping.  I guess it’s the obvious evolution 🤔

I’m not looking down on it..  I just don’t get it.

Washed some sleeping bags this week.  Both the partner and I had the same thought - would love to be out using them.  Up the side of a mountain, 14 day treks, etc like the last time they were used.  So pleased we went for all that adventure at the time, although the body is a bit crapped out now.  Hopefully we will again one day, if a little more genteel.

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Democorruptcy

Re this lad who has lived in a tent in the garden for a year, why haven't his parents been locked up for child cruelty? He just said he had cried himself to sleep at times.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Austin Allegro

Just hold it in for a week. I did that on Scout camp when I was 11 because the latrines were so disgusting.

Admittedly I did feel quite ill and have had regularity problems ever since, but I think I made the right choice.

• Informative 1
  • Lol 4

Conniption
On 26/03/2021 at 07:44, Libspero said:

I think that’s why I don’t understand modern camping.  

Then there’s glamping.  I guess it’s the obvious evolution 🤔

I’m not looking down on it..  I just don’t get it.

it's the compromise most men are forced to make for marrying the wrong woman.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Long time lurking
On 25/03/2021 at 19:22, Stuey said:

Just find a grassy knoll somewhere with a bush nearby, didn't think you were posh. At my mates graduation at uni they were too skint for a b&b after the Aberystwyth train fare so camped on the uni grounds out of the way

A mate went to Portugal on the cheap a few years ago ,they are a hippy traveler type anyway the said they found a great place to camp just up the road from the airport ,a little wooded coppice just of the road three days it was before his Mrs worked out they were on a huge fecking roundabout 

• Lol 4

Long time lurking
On 26/03/2021 at 07:39, Wight Flight said:

Even in Soho ?