DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

On 11/04/2021 at 08:40, With a crooked smile said:

In much of Cumbria there are very few family houses available. There are some exceptions like Kendal but if you need to be in a specific area you may struggle. I'm supprised tho as when houses do come up in areas like Cockermouth they are often around £800 a month. All the local Facebook groups have regular comments from people moving to the area (presumably from down south) so I would have assumed given the scarcity rents would have been higher. 

I swear there's some factory somewhere which churns these middle class liberal wankers out by the millions. Barely hear a regional dialect round here anymore, all a bunch of RP talking tossers called Hugo buying £5 loaves of bread. 

Edited by gibbon
  • Lol 2

With a crooked smile
1 hour ago, gibbon said:

I swear there's some factory somewhere which churns these middle class liberal wankers out by the millions. Barely hear a regional dialect round here anymore, all a bunch of RP talking tossers called Hugo buying £5 loaves of bread. 

Haha, round where I am there's no real chains other than a fairly recent Starbucks at a BP Garage. That said none of the locally owned places have gone fully boutique and started charging a fiver for a loaf. Regional dialect seems to have died out here tho. Its a complete mix of southern English, Midlands, Geordies and Scots ect. Very few if any EEs in the villages. 

• Informative 1

Wight Flight

Schools are the next thing to suffer.

Lovely post on facebook this morning.

'Just bought a house in Ventnor. Is the local school good?

Great reply - yes, very good. And full. We bought last year and have to take one child to Sandown, one to Ryde and one to Newport as they were the only places available.

That's an easy 90 minute round trip. Twice a day.

Why do people not think of this stuff BEFORE they spend £0.5m

• Agree 1
  • Lol 4
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Great reply - yes, very good. And full. We bought last year and have to take one child to Sandown, one to Ryde and one to Newport as they were the only places available.

They'll get them in by hook or by crook. These people are all luvy luvy kumbaya multiculturalism is great...but when it comes to sending their kids to school they will slice your neck to get their kid in the normally majority white good school and avoid the one which looks more like the UN.

• Agree 4

Wight Flight
11 minutes ago, gibbon said:

They'll get them in by hook or by crook. These people are all luvy luvy kumbaya multiculturalism is great...but when it comes to sending their kids to school they will slice your neck to get their kid in the normally majority white good school and avoid the one which looks more like the UN.

That's a fine theory. But I believe we only have six secondary schools, and they are all mediocre. And full. (And white)

The only way some seem to beat the system is to send the kid back to the mainland every day.

With a crooked smile
On 12/04/2021 at 16:58, gibbon said:

In my experience the parents are generally fine with those sort of schools at primary level but as soon as it gets to middle / senior level they start to cr@p their pants. Most will never publically discuss this though. 

• Agree 4

sleepwello'nights

ITV News at Ten continuing their story on appalling housing conditions. They have received more stories of tenants having to live in poorly maintained properties with landlords failing to carry out remedial work. 

One of the examples was a woman in the final stages of cancer having to endure living in a damp mouldy dwelling in a Cornish coastal town. The pictures of the conditions these tenants have to endure is shocking.

The presenter was at pains to point out that private landlords are the largest number of property owners. However all the examples they used were properties owned and maintained? by housing associations and local authorities.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

On 12/04/2021 at 13:56, Wight Flight said:

Oh .... not even close.

'HI we've just moved to Whitby (normally some council house swap) Which are the best schools for kid - little Xenon has ADHD and a care plan.

Also what jobs are there?'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56734468

Newquay has been named the hottest property seller's market by online property portal, Rightmove.

It says eight out of 10 listed homes have been sold, subject to contract, since the start of the year, the fastest moving market in the UK.

Reflecting the trend for less-centralised living, it says city centre properties are moving much more slowly.

Birmingham city centre is the worst place for sellers. Only 18% of properties have sold so far this year.

Ah hey mean 'sold' not sold.

Newquay is like fantasy house buying - lets live in Newquay Quentin.

Id bet when the dust and excitement settles no more houses will be sold Newquay than 2019.

Bham -and London - are more typical. There is no market/buyer for most property.

• Agree 1

With a crooked smile
11 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

ITV News at Ten continuing their story on appalling housing conditions. They have received more stories of tenants having to live in poorly maintained properties with landlords failing to carry out remedial work. 

One of the examples was a woman in the final stages of cancer having to endure living in a damp mouldy dwelling in a Cornish coastal town. The pictures of the conditions these tenants have to endure is shocking.

The presenter was at pains to point out that private landlords are the largest number of property owners. However all the examples they used were properties owned and maintained? by housing associations and local authorities.  

Not in the same league but we are renting a place with a downstairs and upstairs toilet. The downstairs one has never worked a plumber had a look when we moved in and had a boiler issue. The plumber indicated the work had been outstanding for sometime. My stepson has recently had an operation on one of his kidneys and it would be more comfortable for him if both toilets were working but the landlord doesn't seem interested. It annoys me mainly because some people may have rented this house specifically because it has two bathrooms. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

sleepwello'nights
5 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

It annoys me mainly because some people may have rented this house specifically because it has two bathrooms. 

Still irritating none the less. The news article did mention that many tenants of private landlords did not take complaints further because they were afraid that the landlord would evict them if they made too much fuss. 

As always there is a balance and I'm sure that many private landlords look after their tenants.

With a crooked smile
On 14/04/2021 at 17:13, sleepwello'nights said:

As always there is a balance and I'm sure that many private landlords look after their tenants.

I'd agree with this. Private Landlords get let down by a few rogues plus a whole load of people who don't have the money available to cover something unexpected like a boiler suddenly needing a replacement. Some tenants expect a little too much. If my boiler stopped producing hot water on a Sunday I'd be OK about not having and emergency oohs call out but some LLs take the mick. If the boiler is diagnosed as now longer working or safe I'd expect this to be rectified in the same time frame that they would sort their own. This is where HAs win hands down. They have the budget and resources available to sort out maintenance issues promptly and without fuss. 

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
10 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

As the comparison is to coastal Cornwall I don't see how those people with a £700 budget will ever be able to rent a two bed house as they're going for more than that now and won't be coming down in the foreseeable future.

It is a worse position than coastal Cornwall because we still have the cheap hinterland to which people can move and still be reasonably close to family, friends and work.

On the IoW you're simply looking at leaving.

Wight Flight
14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

As the comparison is to coastal Cornwall I don't see how those people with a £700 budget will ever be able to rent a two bed house as they're going for more than that now and won't be coming down in the foreseeable future.

It is a worse position than coastal Cornwall because we still have the cheap hinterland to which people can move and still be reasonably close to family, friends and work.

On the IoW you're simply looking at leaving.

There are actually a few on the market today at that price.

But as there are only 18  two+ bed properties in total to rent at the moment, the price isn't really relevant.

Possibly the only bit of good news is that letting agents have sod all to do all day.

But wait until the evictions start...

Edited by Wight Flight

Frank Hovis
4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

There are actually a few on the market today at that price.

But as there are only 18  two+ bed properties in total to rent at the moment, the price isn't really relevant.

Possibly the only bit of good news is that letting agents have sod all to do all day.

But wait until the evictions start...

Evictions are good surely.

Bad tenants are thrown out freeing up lots of rentals for good tenants.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Evictions are good surely.

Bad tenants are thrown out freeing up lots of rentals for good tenants.

Yes. Gridlock helps nobody.

We do also have a few people that want a smaller place as their income has dropped, but they are stuck where they are for now.

On the plus side, my landlord has agreed to a 12 month renewal so I can relax until next August.

• Cheers 3

46 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

More of the same.

Letting agent in Hayle saying that she "dreads" putting up new listings because then she is immediately swamped by calls from people desperate to rent somewhere.

Roughly a hundred chasing each rental.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-letting-agent-says-housing-5326648

She mentioned caveats for resale to ensure that property stays in local hands. I wholeheartedly agree.

I've moved temporarily to Devon and although restricted I am pleased to see ex-council houses for sale unavailable to me because of such restrictions:

"Agents Note 
An EDDC occupancy restriction applies on this property - please call the office for more information"

You have to have proof of 3 years residence in order to buy.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/105263360#/

• Agree 2

Frank Hovis
7 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Yes. Gridlock helps nobody.

We do also have a few people that want a smaller place as their income has dropped, but they are stuck where they are for now.

On the plus side, my landlord has agreed to a 12 month renewal so I can relax until next August.

Very good news.

However that it is good news that a decent earner has managed to achieve a fourteen month security of tenure reflects the shocking state of the housing market.

I do not think that there is any time in previous British history where that would have qualified as news let alone very good news.

• Agree 2

Wight Flight
Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Very good news.

However that it is good news that a decent earner has managed to achieve a fourteen month security of tenure reflects the shocking state of the housing market.

I do not think that there is any time in previous British history where that would have qualified as news let alone very good news.

Agreed. Normally I would have preferred to go on to a rolling contract, but in these times there is no way I want to live with that risk.

Mrs Flight is heading off to buy some hanging baskets and some plants for the garden. It is clearly in everyone's interest to have a more secure tenancy.

Green Devil

Looking at renting a holiday place over the june whitsun break, the prices are through the roof, almost double last year, looks like the property rental market is a good space to be in right now (thanks boris). Fuck that ill be staying local.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

"Rents are extortionate £750 for a 2 bedroom house"

Pretty fucking funny really. In Bristol I took the first part of my post code, a 3 mile square area, a traditional white working class Labour voting suburb. Put it in rightmove, cheapest 1 bed flat I could find was £800 p/m. Fuck knows what a two bed house would cost, prob £1400 p/m. I would class this area as "ok". Not great. If I put in the more affluent areas of Bristol easily add 30-40% on top. Mate had a studio flat in Clifton, was paying £500 p/m, few years ago they evicted him, repainted it and put it back on the market at £900 p/m.

These people complaining on that IoW FB group have no fucking idea the ass fucking in store for them thanks to the globohomos and BTL scumlords. In a few years they'll be saying how great it was when you could rent an entire house for £750 p/m.

Edited by gibbon
  • Agree 3

Wight Flight
24 minutes ago, gibbon said:

"Rents are extortionate £750 for a 2 bedroom house"

Pretty fucking funny really. In Bristol I took the first part of my post code, a 3 mile square area, a traditional white working class Labour voting suburb. Put it in rightmove, cheapest 1 bed flat I could find was £800 p/m. Fuck knows what a two bed house would cost, prob £1400 p/m. I would class this area as "ok". Not great. If I put in the more affluent areas of Bristol easily add 30-40% on top. Mate had a studio flat in Clifton, was paying £500 p/m, few years ago they evicted him, repainted it and put it back on the market at £900 p/m.

These people complaining on that IoW FB group have no fucking idea the ass fucking in store for them thanks to the globohomos. In a few years they'll be saying how great it was when you could rent an entire house for £750 p/m.

Yes but - there are well paid jobs in Bristol.

Apart from the public sector, we are pretty much a minimum wage economy.

Look at the LHA rate for a two bedder - Bristol £825 per month, IOW £575.

• Informative 1

On 23/04/2021 at 07:40, Frank Hovis said:

More of the same.

Letting agent in Hayle saying that she "dreads" putting up new listings because then she is immediately swamped by calls from people desperate to rent somewhere.

Roughly a hundred chasing each rental.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-letting-agent-says-housing-5326648

This is sad. It's common knowledge that if you want to apply for a council property you will have to join some sort of queue and wait to be offered one. It now seems like the same is true for for expensive and less secure private rentals. Crazy. 

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
49 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

This is sad. It's common knowledge that if you want to apply for a council property you will have to join some sort of queue and wait to be offered one. It now seems like the same is true for for expensive and less secure private rentals. Crazy. 

And horrendous on a personal level as @Wight Flight will testify.

One of the big social benefits put forward for a big fall in house prices was that it would enable couples to start a family earlier in a decent house purchased on a single salary.

Back in the day on ToS there were always some people who countered this by saying that they had been unable to buy but hadn't let this stop them and they had successfully raised a family in a succession of rental properties and had felt perfectly happy in doing so.

More power to their elbow however then you hit something unexpected like this and you have a very big problem because you are in work and the kids are in school and whilst homelessness is not a threat because you could move somewhere less fashionable and commute.

Or rather this is what I have been saying; I thought I would check Camborne again (inland, down at heel, cheap) which had plenty of rentals including three bed houses available the last time I looked and is now down to two 1 bed flats and one room in a house share.

This is the first - fullly booked for viewings.

image.thumb.png.ab9c935496d0ec219c78f1ede9f38b21.png

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?searchType=RENT&locationIdentifier=REGION^273&insId=1&radius=0.0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&minBedrooms=&maxBedrooms=&displayPropertyType=&maxDaysSinceAdded=&sortByPriceDescending=&_includeLetAgreed=on&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&letType=&letFurnishType=&houseFlatShare=

It has rapidly become much worse.

The word crisis is over-used but I am now calling a rental crisis in Cornwall as the "move inland" option is suddenly no longer there.

It is looking very bad indeed.  We are looking at the spectre of mass homelessness in Cornwall (and probably Devon, IoW, Anglesey) this summer whilst holidaymakers pour into all of the second homes and static caravans.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1